What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kayo Sports

Pommy

Coach
Has anyone been using this new service? As I understand it’s just fox sports over the Internet?
Can you watch games on demand after they have finished etc?
I cancelled my Foxtel package and have no interest in going back but I have missed pay TV cricket this year. An ad every over wears a little thing after about 2 overs.

Pommy

Coach
My bad this should have been in ask us anything, if a MOD could move it please that would be awesome

@Te Kaha

Last edited:

Whatwhere

Juniors
Has anyone been using this new service? As I understand it’s just fox sports over the Internet?
Can you watch games on demand after they have finished etc?
I cancelled my Foxtel package and have no interest in going back but I have missed pay TV cricket this year. An ad every over wears a little thing after about 2 overs.

It's good and far more cost effective than Foxtel that forces you bundle sport with other packages. Cost $25/month for two device and $35/month for up to 4 devices. Able to watch several sports on the one device at the same time thanks to it ability to split the screen up to 4 frames.

Access to all the Foxtel channels. I definitely would recommend it.

Not worth looking at yet after the disaster Optus had with the soccer world cup. Need to see if it can handle any real traffic before I jump on

Whatwhere

Juniors
Not worth looking at yet after the disaster Optus had with the soccer world cup. Need to see if it can handle any real traffic before I jump on

So far I've had no issues with live streaming and I use it at home and was using it at work before Christmas. Never encountered any issues. It's building off the Foxtel Now technology but applied directly for sport. Will be interesting to see how it evolves over the next 3-6 months.

Pommy

Coach

Optus is actually a very good service, I much prefer it over Foxtel. The issues were worked out in the end but the damage was done. I will be more interested in watching delayed coverage anyway I would guess.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
Subscribed today to watch the ODI. Pretty impressed with the Apple TV app.
Good quality HD stream, one thing that pissed me off with normal Foxtel was that they wanted extra money in 2017 for me to watch in HD.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

The problem was Optus got that sudden surge in traffic with the World Cup. Unless Kayo suddenly get exclusive access to something that isn’t on Foxtel that won’t happen so I think it’ll be safe, certainly by the time footy season starts.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The problem was Optus got that sudden surge in traffic with the World Cup. Unless Kayo suddenly get exclusive access to something that isn’t on Foxtel that won’t happen so I think it’ll be safe, certainly by the time footy season starts.
While true, there's no doubting the start of the NRL and AFL seasons will see them dealing with much higher traffic volumes than anything they've had over summer. Definitely worth a wait and see IMO

Diesel

Coach
Subscribed today to watch the ODI. Pretty impressed with the Apple TV app.
Good quality HD stream, one thing that pissed me off with normal Foxtel was that they wanted extra money in 2017 for me to watch in HD.
Which Apple TV do you have?

franklin2323

Immortal
Optus is actually a very good service, I much prefer it over Foxtel. The issues were worked out in the end but the damage was done. I will be more interested in watching delayed coverage anyway I would guess.

I am using the trial atm. The one demand games are good if you hide the scores..

Actually watching the live channel seems to be an issue. Footy season will be the test

Diesel

Coach
I have the 4K model and an old 3rd gen one on a spare TV which doesn’t have downloadable apps but I can airplay to if needed.
Thanks for the heads up. I have the shitty 3rd Gen one and forgot about AirPlay

Storm13

Juniors
Canceled my Foxtel after having to listen to all their counter offers to keep me. So far Kayo appears good.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
While true, there's no doubting the start of the NRL and AFL seasons will see them dealing with much higher traffic volumes than anything they've had over summer. Definitely worth a wait and see IMO

That’s why I think they’re doing the smart thing launching now, they’ll get a fair bit of uptake during cricket season which should enable them to build capacity. I reckon by round one they’ll be pretty sorted and even if they have some issues in round one who cares, it’s hardly the end of the world when it’s costing you $7 or so a week.

Also liking the fact that the license is for 2 simultaneous screens, not 2 devices - so if you live by yourself you can install it on all your devices and still split your subscription with a mate.

I’m testing it out now, working well so far on my two iOS devices (iPhone 8 and iPad) and sent to my TV via an HDMI cable from my phone is working well. Getting smooth 720p playback which is pretty decent considering my ADSL connection is pretty horrible at only about 8Mbit/s. No doubt it’ll look nicer when I finally get NBN and a speed boost.