What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What will Maguire do to the roster?

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I reckon that is a pretty good call Rosco.

I posted some time ago I watched Gamble play a game in Qld a few years back. I know it is a level or two down from the NRL bur I mean he tore the other side a new one. Everything he did showed skill. I think he could be one of these players that given the right circumstances will improve. I'd hate to see him go elsewhere and we be proven wrong.

If he has bulked up a bit he is a true option at centre. Marsters has size but I would be quite certain Gamble would be quicker than him. I'd love to see Gamble given a chance at centre simply because he doesn't have the pressure on him of running the side...if he is set up by Brooks/Reynolds/Benji I am pretty confident if he doesn't make the break he'd be setting up our wingers....he has OK ball skills.

Any thoughts from our brothers north of the boarder on Gamble?

mepelthwack

Juniors
Gamble has gone completely under the radar because he was given one chance v raiders where the whole side was thrashed and not seen again.

I expect we will see a lot more of him and he may possibly be a permanent part of the 17 by years end.

super_coach

First Grade
If we are looking left field for centres . . . . Tyson Gamble. Has bulked up heaps in the off season. Big frame, a turn of speed, good with the ball in his hands, and has a great short kicking game. Unsure of his D . . . but we can't let this kid get away without giving him a fair shot in our team.

Mate he makes Benji look like Trevor the axe Gilmister in Defence

simmo05

Bench
There is a thread on the nrl page that jennings is on the outer at parra. Unlikely to be true, but if so would he be a good buy? Classy centre, speed, a bit better than the benji option? Benji is a depth half only.

Crazyperpman

Juniors
There is a thread on the nrl page that jennings is on the outer at parra. Unlikely to be true, but if so would he be a good buy? Classy centre, speed, a bit better than the benji option? Benji is a depth half only.

It would be worth signing Jennings just so we can watch Moses try to do his own Tackling this year.

Vic Mackey

Referee

In principle I don’t have an issue with getting him. However word is he is on $800k this year at Parra. They’d need to pay more then half of that to entice us you’d think.

The Rosco

Bench
I reckon that is a pretty good call Rosco.

I posted some time ago I watched Gamble play a game in Qld a few years back. I know it is a level or two down from the NRL bur I mean he tore the other side a new one. Everything he did showed skill. I think he could be one of these players that given the right circumstances will improve. I'd hate to see him go elsewhere and we be proven wrong.

If he has bulked up a bit he is a true option at centre. Marsters has size but I would be quite certain Gamble would be quicker than him. I'd love to see Gamble given a chance at centre simply because he doesn't have the pressure on him of running the side...if he is set up by Brooks/Reynolds/Benji I am pretty confident if he doesn't make the break he'd be setting up our wingers....he has OK ball skills.

Any thoughts from our brothers north of the boarder on Gamble?
TT, 2019 Gamble looks like 2018 Gamble's older brother. He has bulked up by a big margin. Have a look at the pre-season training pics on the WT site.
I watched him play our trial V sharks last year . . . silky ball skills and an evasive player with ball in hand. Scored a simple try by ghosting between defenders near the line and just slid through.
His newfound bulk would have to increase his confidence in D. While I didn't think he was atrocious, I knew his D needed work. As was said, hopefully Maguire can work on this.
I'm no NRL coach, but this kid has the ideal frame for a centre, and a lot of the attributes too. He was given a run in NRL last year against Canberra ( and I thought Newy, too ) . . . either game, it's a long draw of the bow to blame a rookie for how shit we were in those 2 games.
Benji always rated this kid, having played alongside him 2 yrs ago.
Like I said . . . he looks the goods now. Not this gangly scrawny kid like he was last yr.
He is all upside. He has got the foundations of a very good player. The sort of prospect that will be snapped up when we let him go because we had to upgrade Nathan Milone.

Last edited:

simmo05

Bench
In principle I don’t have an issue with getting him. However word is he is on $800k this year at Parra. They’d need to pay more then half of that to entice us you’d think.
I definately would not pay anywhere near that. That is outrageous coin for a centre

simmo05

Bench
300-400 would be about right i think shredder. Would bring a bit of experience to the backline, and he still has a bit to offer, as long as madge could keep him in line

Tigers Tale

Juniors
My brother used to pop out and check a few pre-season training sessions but since he moved away I miss getting his updates.

Anyone been to training and seen things they either like or dislike? I'd love some feedback as to who in training in what positions and as a group how they look.

Also love some feedback on how Madge is going.

Thanks in advance....

Tiger05

First Grade
Alright here goes another go at the team for this year:-

1. Moses Mbye
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Esan Marsters
4. Paul Momirovski
5. Corey Thompson
6. Josh Reynolds
7. Luke Brooks

=> Our backs look solid now. I'm not going to say they are great because there aren't any superstars there but there is a fair amount of quality players.

8. Russell Packer
9. Robbie Farah
10. Ben Matulino
11. Chris Lawrence
12. Ryan Matterson
13. Elijah Taylor

14. Alex Twal
15. Matt Eisenhuth
16. Thomas Mikaele
17. Jacob Liddle

=> Key decision 1:- Robbie vs Liddle. I think we need Liddle in the team and killing it but it's a long season and he needs some help so I've got him off the bench for impact.

=> Key decision 2:- Does Elijiah Taylor get a spot in the team ? I've started him there but who knows what will happen. There is a good argument for playing Twal or even Eisenhuth there.

I'd play Mikaele off the bench. We need a forward who can have an impact even if it is only for 20 minutes a game.

The following players miss out:-

Michael Chee-Kam
Luke Garner
Zane Musgrove
Josh Aloiai
Mahe Fonua
Benji Marshall

I think Chee-Kam deserves a bench spot but to me that means starting Liddle and Robbie doesn't get a game so we play four forwards.

We look a lot stronger in relation to our props to how we looked a couple of months ago assuming Musgrove doesn't get banned from the game.

Shredder

Juniors
As it stands 05 I reckon that will be close.
The only asterix I would put on that is that is Musgrove gets registered he'll play.

But barring any signings, which look unlikely, I reckon thats very close.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Alright here goes another go at the team for this year:-

1. Moses Mbye
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Esan Marsters
4. Paul Momirovski
5. Corey Thompson
6. Josh Reynolds
7. Luke Brooks

=> Our backs look solid now. I'm not going to say they are great because there aren't any superstars there but there is a fair amount of quality players.

8. Russell Packer
9. Robbie Farah
10. Ben Matulino
11. Chris Lawrence
12. Ryan Matterson
13. Elijah Taylor

14. Alex Twal
15. Matt Eisenhuth
16. Thomas Mikaele
17. Jacob Liddle

=> Key decision 1:- Robbie vs Liddle. I think we need Liddle in the team and killing it but it's a long season and he needs some help so I've got him off the bench for impact.

=> Key decision 2:- Does Elijiah Taylor get a spot in the team ? I've started him there but who knows what will happen. There is a good argument for playing Twal or even Eisenhuth there.

I'd play Mikaele off the bench. We need a forward who can have an impact even if it is only for 20 minutes a game.

The following players miss out:-

Michael Chee-Kam
Luke Garner
Zane Musgrove
Josh Aloiai
Mahe Fonua
Benji Marshall

I think Chee-Kam deserves a bench spot but to me that means starting Liddle and Robbie doesn't get a game so we play four forwards.

We look a lot stronger in relation to our props to how we looked a couple of months ago assuming Musgrove doesn't get banned from the game.

Looks good and probably fairly accurate. None of us really know what Maguire wants from this side so the make up of round 1 will be fairly interesting. Personally I wouldnt have Eisenhuth near firts grade after his end to the year. If hes court case goes well I expect Musgrove will be in the 17. Madge didnt bring him over to play reserve grade.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Rumours that we have signed R. Jennings and is in a cooling off period. If so he will slot in on left wing or centre

Vic Mackey

Referee
Rumours that we have signed R. Jennings and is in a cooling off period. If so he will slot in on left wing or centre

I could be wrong, however I believe the ‘cooling off period’ hasn’t existed for about 2 years now.

I really can’t imagine us signing anyone whilst the salary cap thing is hanging over us.

gordsy

Juniors
For me you cant' have Liddle, Eiso and Taylor all in the same team and expect to bash other teams.

8. Musgrove
9. Robbie Farah
10. Ben Matulino
11. Chris Lawrence
12. Ryan Matterson
13. Garner

14. Alex Twal
15. Packer
16. Thomas Mikaele
17. Jacob Liddle

Shredder

Juniors
Cooling off period does still exist Vic. Its contract law - got nothing to do with the NRL.

I suspect if we do get him, he will play centre.

Latest posts