What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WSDJRL Broke

MountainMan

Juniors
Its not the West Tigers fault at all.
The responsibility should be on the head of West Magpies,Leo Epifania.

siv

First Grade
Parra Juniors go bust and now Wests juniors

Looks like NSWRL HQ is too interested in tailoring RL, Womens RL and Touch RL to suit a well known team in Bondi

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Parra Juniors go bust and now Wests juniors

Looks like NSWRL HQ is too interested in tailoring RL, Womens RL and Touch RL to suit a well known team in Bondi
Can you explain to me why it's NSWRL's job to run JDRL's?

NSWRL are stepping in to save this year's comps in WSJDRL so I don't understand why the ire at them. The responsibility falls to the people who ran it into the ground

thorson1987

Coach

NSWRL are stepping in to save this year's comps in WSJDRL so I don't understand why the ire at them. The responsibility falls to the people who ran it into the ground

Because he has no clue. This has been coming for awhile.

siv

First Grade

Governance

If its been coming for a while

Then they should have stepped in earlier to address the issue not just after the event

Seems they are quite happy to let junior clubs and districts die

And the same goes for Wests LCs who pulled funding who are also happy to let junior associations die

We either have one of 3 modes of junior operation
- 1 - NRL/NSWRL funds juniors directly
- 2 - LC funds juniors
- 3 - parents/local sponsors funded juniors

As I expect #1 will never occur other than insurance

If #2 stops eg Penrith LC pulls the plug then the NSWRL should setup monitoring controls as the associations transition to a #3 model

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
Governance

If its been coming for a while

Then they should have stepped in earlier to address the issue not just after the event

Seems they are quite happy to let junior clubs and districts die

And the same goes for Wests LCs who pulled funding who are also happy to let junior associations die

We either have one of 3 modes of junior operation
- 1 - NRL/NSWRL funds juniors directly
- 2 - LC funds juniors
- 3 - parents/local sponsors funded juniors

As I expect #1 will never occur other than insurance

If #2 stops eg Penrith LC pulls the plug then the NSWRL should setup monitoring controls as the associations transition to a #3 model
NSWRL have now stepped in to ensure this year's comps run, I'm not sure what more you can expect.

siv

First Grade
NSWRL have now stepped in to ensure this year's comps run, I'm not sure what more you can expect.

Alarms bells should have been ringing when Wests LCs pulled funding on the junior association

The question is now what will the NSWRL do with the Wests JRL Association.

Change its management and payout its debts

Or disband it and reallocate Wests Ashfield-Lidcombe and Campbelltown junior clubs to other JRL associations

Timmah

Staff member
Alarms bells should have been ringing when Wests LCs pulled funding on the junior association

The question is now what will the NSWRL do with the Wests JRL Association.

Change its management and payout its debts

Or disband it and reallocate Wests Ashfield-Lidcombe and Campbelltown junior clubs to other JRL associations
Still doesn't make any of what happened NSWRL's fault.

Timmah

Staff member
NSWRL Media Release this afternoon:

A newly structured Junior League and digital innovation will form part of an exciting new competition for Wests Junior Rugby League following a positive meeting at Wests Campbelltown on Thursday 24 January.

The meeting, held after concerns were raised about the future of Rugby League in the Macarthur region, was attended by 70 officials, club representatives and Life Members, NSWRL Chief Executive David Trodden and NSWRL General Manager – Football, Barrie-Jon Mather.

Trodden acknowledged the Macarthur region would always be an important nursery for Rugby League with more than 3000 registered juniors.

"The really positive feeling throughout the meeting leaves all of us genuinely excited about the future of the game in the Western Suburbs Junior League District," Trodden said.

"There were a number of initiatives agreed upon that will benefit the clubs and everyone is really looking forward to kick-off for the season."

The arrangements that were endorsed after a positive 90-minute meeting include:
  • newly structured Junior League
  • digital innovation that will put Wests at the forefront of junior sport
  • shorts and socks will be paid for by Wests Campbelltown
  • a process to be undertaken immediately to find a new administrator for the Junior League and the clubs and stakeholders to have input into the appointment
  • a strategic planning session for clubs and other stakeholders to have input into the future of the district
  • a season launch to be staged at Wests Campbelltown in March.

Other officials involved in the meeting all agreed it was a positive outcome.

"At Wests, we are looking forward to playing a more active role in the development of Junior Rugby League in Macarthur," Wests Group Macarthur Chief Executive Tony Mathew said.

"The joint contribution of NSWRL, Wests Group Macarthur, Wests Tigers, the Magpies and the Junior Clubs can only result in the Junior League becoming bigger and stronger.

"Wests Campbelltown remain committed to Rugby League in their community and as an initial sign of that commitment we have guaranteed a socks and shorts rebate for all our players.

"The good news for our juniors is as soon as you sign up, you get your shorts and socks for free."

Wests Tigers General Manager Football Kelly Egan said: "We at Wests Tigers have always supported initiatives for the propagation of Junior League in the Macarthur and Liverpool areas. We look forward to supporting the positive outcomes which have resulted from recent decisions.

"We thank the Junior League clubs, Dave Trodden from the NSWRL and Wests Leagues Campbelltown for their ongoing support of Junior League in the district and look forward to an exciting 2019 Junior League season."
Liverpool Catholic Club Secretary Renee Smith said: "The meeting held by NSWRL at Wests Leagues Club on Thursday night gave the clubs a good insight for the future of the game in the Campbelltown/Liverpool area.

"We are grateful for NSWRL to work with all clubs and to see our competition remain solid and thrive for the 2019 season."

Campbelltown Warriors President Eddie Cummins added: "The feeling between the clubs is positive as we are all working together.

"We are happy to see Rugby League staying in the local district as our priority is getting kids on the field.

"We, as all clubs, are committed to see our kids have the best opportunities in playing the game we all love."

thorson1987

Coach
So I wonder if my sons rego fee will go down now Wests Leagues are paying for the shorts and socks?

I actually wonder when they stopped because I remember they Leagues Club supplied all shorts and socks when I was a kid.

kbw

Bench
Its more the NRL's fault than NSW RLs (although they do have a part in it)
The NRL take in all this money hand half of it to first grade players and the rest to the executive staff of the NRL.

Nothing, apart from a pittance to the Development program. goes to grass roots RL. It all goes to perpetuate incompetence

Balmain is next (if it hasn't already)

Timmah

Staff member
Its more the NRL's fault than NSW RLs (although they do have a part in it)
The NRL take in all this money hand half of it to first grade players and the rest to the executive staff of the NRL.

Nothing, apart from a pittance to the Development program. goes to grass roots RL. It all goes to perpetuate incompetence

Balmain is next (if it hasn't already)
Simplistic rubbish. Most junior leagues continue to function generally because they have competent people in charge. I'll take the word of someone who knows the league like @thorson1987 over the "blame the NRL" agenda.

kbw

Bench
Having been involved in administration of junior clubs in the eastern suburbs for over 15 years I think I know what I am talking about. out clubs were lucky that the Roosters provide substantial funding.

Yes I agree with you that without the people running the junior clubs the game does not exist and good people would not have let it happen.

But the NRL waste money and basically do not invest in junior rugby league. I have see it first hand and see how hard people in other districts work. I am watching the Balmain junior league limp along . I have seem people put their hands in their own pockets, especially in the country simply to get kids on the field.

considering the money that the NRL gets in, its an embarassment

When your involved extends beyond the internet and TV, then you can pass judgement

siv

First Grade
A newly structured Junior League

What does that statement mean ?

Disappointed that politics was the driver in all of this and happy that Wests-Campbelltown is back contributing again to junior football which is a community tax rightoff for LCs

As a parent I always payed full freight here on the CC for my boys to play. Which included shorts, socks and insurance.

But soccer costs are double league costs, and then you have to buy shirts and socks. But a lot of questions were asked where was the money going. But it has helped them build club houses, seating etc and contribute to the Socceroos costs

Plus you get $100 government rebate these days

thorson1987

Coach
Apparently no longer the WSDJRL.

Now known as the Wests Tigers Junior Rugby League according to one of my clubs committee members.

siv

First Grade
Having been involved in administration of junior clubs in the eastern suburbs for over 15 years I think I know what I am talking about. out clubs were lucky that the Roosters provide substantial funding.

Yes I agree with you that without the people running the junior clubs the game does not exist and good people would not have let it happen.

But the NRL waste money and basically do not invest in junior rugby league. I have see it first hand and see how hard people in other districts work. I am watching the Balmain junior league limp along . I have seem people put their hands in their own pockets, especially in the country simply to get kids on the field.

considering the money that the NRL gets in, its an embarassment

When your involved extends beyond the internet and TV, then you can pass judgement

I have watched this junior funding debate with interest

NRL v LC v Parent funded

In the city LCs are orientated with the district while in the country the ones that exist are oriented with teams

So why do Soccer parents feel happy to spend big while we sqabble if the NRL should pay

In RL junior teams dont pay for national team or contribute to NRL clubs

I would like to see more money in nation wide insurance for RL

There were funds set aside for facilities I would like to see or hear the results

But in districts where there are health LCs like Easts I would expect NO contribution by the NRL to basic payments. With $50 mil in the bank I would expects Easts LC to pay for all junior regis in Easts, Norths and CC regions if they want that association

I would rather see NRL other junior funds diverted to non healthy LC aligned districts clubs. But they palm this off as a grant via the NSWRL so it then becomes their job to distribute to their affiliates

But I would be interested in hearing what costs you think should be contributed to

Last edited: