What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC News

deluded pom?

Coach
My missus is Spanish, im hoping i can talk her into a family reunion that just happens to coincide with the WC.

"Ahh, wadaya know. There is a WC of may favourite sport just 2 hours away by plane. What a lucky accident"
Whereabouts in Spain if you don’t mind me asking? The reason I ask is because if you’re in the right area there can be some cheap flights between Spain and the U.K. available.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/us...rpedoed-by-money-trouble-20181204-p50k5p.html

Plans to stage the Rugby League World Cup (RLWC) in the US for the first time in 2025 have been aborted and organisers have put the event out to tender again due to the would-be promoter’s financial troubles.

The Rugby League International Federation conditionally awarded the RLWC to North America two years ago, signifying the first time it was be taken out of traditional heartland areas. However, the event now needs a new home because the promoter, Moore Sports International (MSI), is no longer in a position to bankroll the event.

It means the international event is again up for grabs and raises the prospect of it returning to Australia if an alternative option can't be found.
“At the last board meeting last month, we made a decision to re-tender the 2025 World Cup,” said RLIF CEO Nigel Wood.
“That doesn’t indicate in stone we’re not in the United States, but we weren’t in a position to go forward under the existing proposition that had been made.
“We will be re-tendering that during the course of 2019.
“It could go anywhere, we’re not ruling anything in or out at this stage. We’ll see what the market tells us.”
MSI made history by taking an England-New Zealand Test to Colorado earlier this year, a game that was well received in the Denver region. However, a crowd of less than 20,000 resulted in chief executive Jason Moore suffering a seven-figure loss. While the players have been paid, the New Zealand Rugby League and the Rugby Football League (the governing body for professional rugby league in England) were out of pocket to the tune of more than $400,000.

It marks the latest blow to plans to take the game into the potentially lucrative American market. The NRL had been deep in negotiations to take the opening match of the 2019 season to the US but couldn’t quite make the numbers stack up. Head office is still hopeful the "round zero" project could go ahead the following season. An attempt to stage the season-ending Australia-Tonga Test in New York also fell at the last hurdle – the financial guarantee required to make it happen.

Last year’s World Cup gave the game a huge boost. Only six points separated Australia and England in the final, while Tonga’s rise captured the imagination of fans. There has been a push to elevate Tonga to tier-one status alongside Australia, New Zealand and England, although Wood said the RLIF’s ambition was to scrap the tiered system altogether.

“In the fullness of time we’d like to see everyone competing on the same terms as everyone else,” he said.

“That’s what a mature sport should look like and we recognise there’s a bit of work involved but we have to set that aspiration.

“We’re on the cusp of moving the international game significantly and I think that’s overdue.

“Everyone’s excited about Tonga, the Pacific nations. There’s more depth and breadth than there has ever been, and it’s the RLIF’s job to provide meaningful international competitions to allow those nations to compete.

“We all know players want to play international rugby league. They all want to wear their colours, salute their flag and sing their national anthem. It’s our job to create playing opportunities.”

At present, the Kangaroos earn up to $20,000 per Test, while players for some of the so-called "minnow" nations sometimes find themselves out of pocket when representing their country. It’s an issue the RLIF is addressing ahead of the next World Cup.

“It’s not lost on the Federation that it’s not right at the moment, the discrepancy is too wide,” Wood said.

“It’s not the federation’s job to dictate to other nations, but it’s something we’re looking at, putting a minimum payment in. To do that, we have to make sure there’s enough revenue in international league to make that happen.”

Springs09

Juniors
Good. There's no use awarding it full to the USA at the moment, especially when they couldn't even get past the first test.

Another Pacific World Cup needs another shot anyway, with more games in NZ and the islands and less in Australia.

RLWC2021 support Climate change movement The Rugby League World Cup 2021 (RLWC2021) has pledged its support to the UN Sports for Climate Action Framework in a concerted effort to raise awareness and action to meet the goals of the Paris Agreement. The tournament organisers are one of many representatives from the diverse global sports industry to sign up to the UN Climate Change Action Framework, created to drive emission reductions of sports operations and tap the popularity and passion of sport to engage millions of fans in the effort. With just under three years to go until the tournament in England, RLWC2021 is one of 17 initial signatories, which include FIFA, the International Olympic Committee (IOC), the French Tennis Federation (Roland Garros) and Formula E. Jon Dutton, Chief Executive of RLWC2021, said: “We recognise the impact of sport on the climate and we’re willing to do whatever we can to ensure that our tournament in 2021 makes a concerted effort to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. It’s important that we understand the impact of sporting tournaments on global warming and I’m sure by working with the rest of the signatories we can reduce the negative impact.”

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/pos...-renewal-hull-on-the-move-and-climate-change/

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Whereabouts in Spain if you don’t mind me asking? The reason I ask is because if you’re in the right area there can be some cheap flights between Spain and the U.K. available.

Andalucía, about an hour from malaga.

Yeh, RyanAir does some VERY cheap flights. We got one trip, $5 to Dublin and back a few years ago.

I dont know how they make money....

Pommy

Coach
Its certain to be Australia again, sigh.

But it SHOULD be South Africa or NZ.

And it the WC dors come back to Australia, they need to ask for a bank guarantee if the Aussies are such shitty hosts again.

Calm down I’m pretty sure this is for the host cities for 2021 lol.
I think South Africa is every bit as pie in the sky as the USA was.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I think South Africa is every bit as pie in the sky as the USA was.

Hahah, i couldnt see the video without a VPN. I just assumed from the message and the discussion above.

My bad...

(Do we know when the new 2025 host is announced)

Coastbloke

Bench

God I hope so. I don't think my nervous system could handle a 2025 announcement and it's predictably Australia. Why don't they meet us halfway. Ok USA and South Africa are rank outsiders, but c'mon RLIF. You've got 6 years to help France put on a belter of a tournament..The Poms would go because it's ultra close. The French would go because they do have RL fans and it's an event..I would go because all I would have to say to the missus is "Fancy going to Paris".... Plleeaaase...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
God I hope so. I don't think my nervous system could handle a 2025 announcement and it's predictably Australia. Why don't they meet us halfway. Ok USA and South Africa are rank outsiders, but c'mon RLIF. You've got 6 years to help France put on a belter of a tournament..The Poms would go because it's ultra close. The French would go because they do have RL fans and it's an event..I would go because all I would have to say to the missus is "Fancy going to Paris".... Plleeaaase...

France and North Spain would be great!!!

If Australia can make a profit hosting games in 10k stadiums, surely France would be manageable.

I also think England should start up an annual 3- game series vs France. Sure it would start with some floggings but it would help them develop and draw interest. Plus England has been searching for their own State of Origin for decades. I think this is their best bet so long as they commit for a decent period and let it grow....

(Better than that f*cking Exiles rubbish)

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
France and North Spain would be great!!!

If Australia can make a profit hosting games in 10k stadiums, surely France would be manageable.

I also think England should start up an annual 3- game series vs France. Sure it would start with some floggings but it would help them develop and draw interest. Plus England has been searching for their own State of Origin for decades. I think this is their best bet so long as they commit for a decent period and let it grow....

(Better than that f*cking Exiles rubbish)

France don’t even want to play a mid season test a three game series is never going to happen.

deluded pom?

Coach
Andalucía, about an hour from malaga.

Yeh, RyanAir does some VERY cheap flights. We got one trip, $5 to Dublin and back a few years ago.

I dont know how they make money....
Probably from all the extra charges they make. Obviously €5 (did you mean euro?) tickets are few and far between and very limited.

Last edited:
The host cities for the 2021 Rugby League World Cup in England will be announced live on BBC Sport Online on Tuesday January 29 (9am).

To be held in October and November 2021, the men’s, women’s and wheelchair tournaments will run simultaneously in the sport’s biggest ever World Cup.

Over the last 12 months, towns and cities have been bidding to win the right to play host to the tournament.

Host Helen Skelton will be joined by RLWC2021 Ambassadors; Kevin Sinfield; St. Helens and England Women’s star, Jodie Cunningham; and Leeds Rhinos Wheelchair captain, James Simpson, to reveal the successful towns and cities.

Jon Dutton, RLWC2021 Chief Executive, commented: “We have undertaken a thorough bid process, lasting twelve months and involving some very tough decisions.

“The quality of bids has been impressive across all three tournaments and we are now ready to share the venue details as we continue to build awareness and excitement.

“I look forward to congratulating those that have been successful and working with those local communities over the next 1,000 days to stage an incredibly inclusive and welcoming tournament.

“We appreciate some people will be disappointed that their town / city hasn’t made the final list, but the tournament will be very accessible with marquee moments to look forward to.”

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/host-cities-for-2021-world-cup-to-be-revealed/

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Probably from all the extra charges they make. Obviously €5 (did you mean euro?) tickets are few and far between and very limited.

No, $5. Ticket was €3.something IIRS. (I reckon they make more money looking for coins between the seats)

Yeh, i think the business model is to lock people in a tube for 3 hours and start offering super expensive shit. I think a water bottle cost me more than the flight tickets, Hahaha

Pommy

Coach
Have France rejected mid-season test? That crazy!! I thought England had just decided France wasnt good enough and decided NZ was the better bet.

I believe it’s more that Catalans have decided they don’t want it.

deluded pom?

Coach
Have France rejected mid-season test? That crazy!! I thought England had just decided France wasnt good enough and decided NZ was the better bet.
I don’t think they have ever put it in writing but Catalans have made it obvious that they see a mid season Test/s as a huge distraction. Having them eligible for relegation hardens their stance.

Latest posts