What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test D/N Australia v Sri Lanka at Brisbane Jan 24-28 - AUSTRALIA WON BY AN INNINGS AND 40 RUNS

no name

Coach
It will be interesting to see what sort of crowd lobs.
People don’t like change and I think the people of Brisbane and surrounds feel a bit ripped off about not getting the first test of the Summer.

TheParraboy

Staff member
People don’t like change and I think the people of Brisbane and surrounds feel a bit ripped off about not getting the first test of the Summer.

Surely they turn up for local heros Renshaw, Labuschagne and Burns?

Timbo

Staff member
Public Holiday weekend, people are away, Sri Lanka are at their weakest in 30 years (as are we), cricket on the nose a bit in general...

Doesn't really bode well for a massive crowd.

Hell yeah, sanity prevails.

1-Burns
2-Harris
3-Khawaja
4-Patterson
5-Head
6-Labuschagne

Please and thankyou.

I still hope Pucovski plays too, but I’m happy Patterson is there.

I’d leave out Labuschagne, don’t think his bowling will be needed in Brisbane.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Public Holiday weekend, people are away, Sri Lanka are at their weakest in 30 years (as are we), cricket on the nose a bit in general...

Doesn't really bode well for a massive crowd.

Heat play the Stars there on a Friday, couple days after the test, bet that is close to packed

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I know heaps of people who always go the first day of the first test of the summer who aren’t bothering this year.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I know heaps of people who always go the first day of the first test of the summer who aren’t bothering this year.

Disgrace we bend over to India

As if it wasn't enough to suspend 2 of our best batsman and also not play a d/n test

no name

Coach
Yeah, the local cricket comps all used to stop for the Gabba test weekend and knew heaps of people that went.
Not sure if they are having the weekend off this week.

Incorrect

Coach
We should bat Wally Lewis at number 6, that'll get the folks through the turnstiles.... Which reminds me, there was another Qld'er who used be a number 6 that reminded me a bit of a turnstile.... David Lockyer or something like that I think his name was...

hineyrulz

Post Whore
We should bat Wally Lewis at number 6, that'll get the folks through the turnstiles.... Which reminds me, there was another Qld'er who used be a number 6 that reminded me a bit of a turnstile.... David Lockyer or something like that I think his name was...
Locky’s best ever tackle was outside a bar after flogging a bottle of rum (Allegedly) :slight_smile:

jargan83

Coach
Good to see Patterson in the squad. It's like living in the bizarro world seeing the selectors do something right.

Do you reckon they might leave out Burns? Personally I wouldn’t, but could see a lineup of

Khawaja
Harris
Labuschagne
Patterson
Head
Pucovski

Would prefer Burns over Labuschagne with Khawaja at 3

Dogmatix

Juniors
The Sri Lankans will be laughing their heads off at Patterson being added to the squad. Cricket Australia selectors mugged again

Tour warm up game results are meaningless. The other countries always let Mitch Marsh score lots of runs in these games as they wanted him in the side. Mitch scored 162 in the UAE, 75 in India, and 2 centuries in England in warm up games making him the Bradman of tour warm up games

With Patterson his 41 first class average at 25 years of age would have made him a borderline selection for the squad anyways so it won't be a disaster if they select him. But the selectors should have stuck with their chosen squad and backed themselves as in this case the runs scored by Patterson cannot be used as a reliable form guide. The players not in the test squad scored 1 for 364 in this game suggesting that Sri Lanka did not care how many runs these guys scored. They were only focused on demoralising the 4 guys selected in the test squad

The Sri Lankans will be laughing their heads off at Patterson being added to the squad. Cricket Australia selectors mugged again

Tour warm up game results are meaningless. The other countries always let Mitch Marsh score lots of runs in these games as they wanted him in the side. Mitch scored 162 in the UAE, 75 in India, and 2 centuries in England in warm up games making him the Bradman of tour warm up games

With Patterson his 41 first class average at 25 years of age would have made him a borderline selection for the squad anyways so it won't be a disaster if they select him. But the selectors should have stuck with their chosen squad and backed themselves as in this case the runs scored by Patterson cannot be used as a reliable form guide. The players not in the test squad scored 1 for 364 in this game suggesting that Sri Lanka did not care how many runs these guys scored. They were only focused on demoralising the 4 guys selected in the test squad

You posted this the other day too, the reasoning only makes sense if Patterson had a worse FC record than many of the others. Plus he’s been playing well in shield.

They didn’t fox Australia in to selecting a nuffy.

A first class average of 41 is better than

Renshaw
Burns
Head
Harris
Labuschagne

The only two better are Pucovski & Khawaja. And Pucovski has only played 8 matches.

If this was Sri Lanka’s intention I thank them, they’ve done us a service.

Last edited: