What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ten best full backs of the NRL era

Wizardman

First Grade
I reckon the Tigs have got your mob covered there.

Tom Humble
Shannon Gallant
Wade McKinnon
Shannon McDonnell
Mitch Brown
Rhys Hanbury
Jy Hitchcox
Sean Meaney
Kurtis Rowe
Robert Miles

I wanted to include Loltzen but the merkin scored once every two games at the back.
McKinnon was decent, just not for the Tigers...lol

Vic Mackey

Referee
I reckon the Tigs have got your mob covered there.

Tom Humble
Shannon Gallant
Wade McKinnon
Shannon McDonnell
Mitch Brown
Rhys Hanbury
Jy Hitchcox
Sean Meaney
Kurtis Rowe
Robert Miles

I wanted to include Loltzen but the merkin scored once every two games at the back.

Gallant was pretty good, at least in attack. Would take him over Moltzen any day.

Mitch Brown did his job. Wasnt flashy but in a team with a heap of attacking flair he was solid and that’s all we needed.

Wouldn’t feed the rest.

typicalfan

Coach
Snake is one of the most under rated players of the NRL era. I get that people rate him, but i dont think he gets the credit he deserves as a guy who IMO was a genuine superstar
Was never the same after injury unfortunately. He was a superstar before the injury and a good fullback after.

Wizardman

First Grade
Gallant was pretty good, at least in attack. Would take him over Moltzen any day.

Mitch Brown did his job. Wasnt flashy but in a team with a heap of attacking flair he was solid and that’s all we needed.

Wouldn’t feed the rest.
Did Lipina Kaufusi and Hassan Saleh ever play fullback or were they just magnificient finishers?

gunpk

Juniors
Many people only noticed the attacking talents of Brett Stewart but I thought he was one of the best defending fullbacks. Even after all his injuries he was still a great defender.
I can't remember if it was a Manly game or SOO but Inglis broke the line and Stewart tackled him with ease on at least 2 occasions.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tim Brasher
Billy Slater
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
Darren Lockyer
James Tedesco
Brett Stewart
Brett Hodgson
Anthony Minichiello
Brett Mullins
Matt Bowen

TheFrog

Coach
Billy Slater,
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck,
Darren Lockyer,
James Tedesco,
Brett Stewart,
Ben Barba,
Greg Inglis,
Anthony Minichiello,
Brett Mullins,
Jarryd Hayne
Four of the 10 played for the Roosters. Admirable restraint.

I'd have Michael Gordon for Inglis (making 5 Roosters!), whose best footy was at centre.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Four of the 10 played for the Roosters. Admirable restraint.

I'd have Michael Gordon for Inglis (making 5 Roosters!), whose best footy was at centre.

Yes would have Michael Gordon in there too.
And while yes you note there are 4 Roosters in the list to be fair Brett Mullins played the bulk of his football at Canberra and only had one season at Easts right at the end of his career and the majority of the games on the wing and while yes Tedesco is a Rooster now he had 6 seasons at the Tigpies before hand.

Last edited:

roofromoz

First Grade
Will Smith
Josh Mansour
Michael Jennings
Jarrod Sammut
Liam Georgetown
Richie Williams
Nick Youngquest
Brett Howland
Steve Turner
Brett Atkinson
Chris Hicks
Shane Elford

Edwahu

Bench
Mullins wasn't a very good fullback in the NRL era, he was constantly injured and never got near rep footy again. Schif was a way better player over that period, he is pretty underrated if you look at what he achieved in some ordinary sides.