What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cronulla to Perth

flippikat

Bench
Sydney sharks and Souths at allianz
parramatta panthers, bulldogs at wss.
Western Tigers at hbf park perth
Leave manly to die at bookvale and create space for Adelaide
Dragons 7 at gong, 4 at allianz one on road
Sorted.

Parramatta Panthers is a bold suggestion.. that's a vast area, a lot of juniors - and based at a top-standard stadium, could be a powerhouse club. Use the Panthers allsorts jersey with blue & gold stripes instead of red, gold and green as home, and a mostly gold allsorts design with blue & black stripes as alternate :)

Western Tigers - Yeah, I see some synergies there.. colours would be ok with Perth fans (they already cheer for the Scorchers in Orange & Black in the BBL), and with reciprocal rights for Sydney memberships to away games in Sydney it could work.

Sydney Sharks - Could work (hell, they merged Wests & Balmain.. and that wasnt adjacent suburbs..). Use the sky blue WW2 Roosters jersey for home, and a navy blue variant as alternate (with some sky blue in there).

Parramatta Panthers is a bold suggestion.. that's a vast area, a lot of juniors - and based at a top-standard stadium, could be a powerhouse club. Use the Panthers allsorts jersey with blue & gold stripes instead of red, gold and green as home, and a mostly gold allsorts design with blue & black stripes as alternate :)

Western Tigers - Yeah, I see some synergies there.. colours would be ok with Perth fans (they already cheer for the Scorchers in Orange & Black in the BBL), and with reciprocal rights for Sydney memberships to away games in Sydney it could work.

Sydney Sharks - Could work (hell, they merged Wests & Balmain.. and that wasnt adjacent suburbs..). Use the sky blue WW2 Roosters jersey for home, and a navy blue variant as alternate (with some sky blue in there).

LOL. More mergers. they don't work.

Parra and Penrith merging is madness.
Easts and Cronulla merging is also madness.
No.clubs need to merge.

Wests Tigers ing with the new South Western Sydney have an opportunity to lobby for an upgrade at Campbelltown.

Saints have pretty much abandoned there heartland at Kogarah and the nailed on Dragons fans will never abandon them even in Wollongong..

Manly need to stay at Brookvale having no team between Sydney and Newcastle is madness.

The problem the NRL has is that they do not celebrate the histories of the club's we have.

People seem to want to merge them as solutions.

TheFrog

Coach
Parramatta Panthers is a bold suggestion.. that's a vast area, a lot of juniors - and based at a top-standard stadium
Two top standard stadiums, actually. Do you honestly think Panthers would accept all games at Parra, 35km from their clubhouse? Really, this is going to be the bugbear. Two clubs 35km apart merging while there are five within half that radius.

they merged Wests & Balmain.. and that wasnt adjacent suburbs..)
In a decent southerly buster, you could stand on the steps of Wests Leagues and spit, and it would land in the rubble that was once Balmain Leagues. As far as marriages of leagues clubs go, this one was made in heaven.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
In a decent southerly buster, you could stand on the steps of Wests Leagues and spit, and it would land in the rubble that was once Balmain Leagues. As far as marriages of leagues clubs go, this one was made in heaven.

Yeh, i have to assume Balmain thought Wests would give up Campbeltown and come back to the Inner West...

In hindsight though, i think the better matches would have been North Sydney Tigers and Western Suburbs Panthers.

SL was shit for the game, but the really tragedy was the shit effort of reconstruction. I think the current fan discontentment comes more from the post-1998 than SL. Such a f*ckin mess...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Two top standard stadiums, actually. Do you honestly think Panthers would accept all games at Parra, 35km from their clubhouse? Really, this is going to be the bugbear. Two clubs 35km apart merging while there are five within half that radius.

Is there a lot of panthers fans in the gap between the two stadiums or are majority living around the Penrith stadium area and further west? I guess that would influence the feasibility of such a venture?

It does show the challenges some Sydney clubs have though in that theyve been set up in quite geographically isolated regions of the city which was fine when it was a suburban Sydney Comp, but is now a struggle for them in a large scale National Comp where some teams have whole cities to draw from and the other Sydney clubs are more centralised and drawing from across the cities large population.

TheFrog

Coach
some teams have whole cities to draw from and the other Sydney clubs are more centralised and drawing from across the cities large population.
The Sydney clubs with support all over the Sydney area are those clubs that have had periods of premiership success, ie Rabbitohs, Dragons, Eels and Bulldogs. The Roosters and Manly have had this too, but they don't seem to identify so well with fans outside their area. Panthers might be in this boat too, but I think if we had a decade like the Dogs and Eels had in the 80's that would solve a lot of problems.

davi

Juniors
QRL's Bruce Hatcher wants to relocate Sharks to Brisbane. The problem with the idea is:

1. Sharks fans will be pissed off.
2. The new Brisbane team will be pissed off it has to take players, colours, and logos. And can't put there own signature on the team.
3. Hatcher idea is that the club will appeal to 'two markets'. Its been shown with the Brisbane Bears/Fitroy Lions merger it doesn't work. What happened was the Fitroy fanbase side of the merger dies off as it will with Cronulla.
4. One of the reasons fans didn't support Gold Coast Seagulls is the QLD fans thought it was a NSW team. And the NSW fans thought it was a QLD team. Although it didn't seem to be a problem with the Brisbane Lions with there Brisbane fans though. Three flags in a row certainly has its benefits.

I still think there should be less teams in Sydney. But another merger might be the better option between two Sydney teams. That makes it problematic though, because Tigers and Dragons cannot be expected to merge again.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...m/news-story/9b8d139f77412946ecc82fe84a11fc5e

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
From my observations the Sharks are one of the least supported and least popular clubs in QLD. I reckon Manly could work, quite a few Manly fans in SEQLD. Maybe Wests...

MugaB

Coach
From my observations the Sharks are one of the least supported and least popular clubs in QLD. I reckon Manly could work, quite a few Manly fans in SEQLD. Maybe Wests...
Maybe canberra?, no just jokes...
Wynumm-Manly Sea Eagles.....?
Brisbane Tigers.... "Wests! Brisbane Tigers"
Bruce Hatcher needs a HIA, he has problems, besides origin, the state of the game in the current Queensland teams is troubling, like the sharks would ever be able be a better prospect in QLD, seriously, they have issues being in Sydney, but at least they make finals, which QLD sides have been avoiding lately...
Need to get the 17th team in, then he'll shut up.
I can't see why he is so scared from a QRL point of view, its not like he has to do more work, or will be more stressed if one of redcliffe, easts or ipswich get chosen, why does he even have a voice in this? Or does he lose some percentage funding due to one less qrl club under his umbrella, that would go to the NRL club instead, coz that makes way more sense if thats the gist QRL pie funding

davi

Juniors

What about the Dragons? I think from memory the Titans took a game to Toowoomba because of conflict with the Commonwealth games. And the Dragons fans out numbered the Titans fans 4 to 1. From what I understand back in the old days the Dragons use to tour Queensland and play Queensland teams after there NSWRL competition was over. Which is how they built up a fan base in QLD. By saying that I still don't support the idea.....

myrrh ken

First Grade
What about the Dragons? I think from memory the Titans took a game to Toowoomba because of conflict with the Commonwealth games. And the Dragons fans out numbered the Titans fans 4 to 1. From what I understand back in the old days the Dragons use to tour Queensland and play Queensland teams after there NSWRL competition was over. Which is how they built up a fan base in QLD. By saying that I still don't support the idea.....

Dragons and the Tigers are the ones struggling financially, with the NRL propping them up.

If a southern club has to go, it should be the dragons.

davi

Juniors
Dragons and the Tigers are the ones struggling financially, with the NRL propping them up.

If a southern club has to go, it should be the dragons.

Yeah, however the Sharks were in the red big time a couple of years ago too. And the NRL didn't either move the Sharks or kill them off then. I'm not saying that financial sustainability is not a factor. But some fans/commentators conveniently tend to do this when a club is going through a rough patch.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Currently spending 10' s of millions upgrading Shark Park to NRL semi final standards and the League's club.

Dream on, anyway neither Perth or Brisbane do not want some imported team, nor do they need one.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Currently spending 10' s of millions upgrading Shark Park to NRL semi final standards and the League's club.

Dream on, anyway neither Perth or Brisbane do not want some imported team, nor do they need one.
what upgrades is shark park getting? the stadium I mean not the LC. The big problem for the sharks is their lack of football generated revenue that comes from having a small fanbase. Theres only so much gap a golf club can fill.

Last edited:

Jim Rockford

Bench
Just like clockwork here's Perth Red death-riding existing clubs while advocating for a new club that has ZERO tradition or history. He carries on like he cares about the game but all he cares about is getting a club where he lives. It's really not that hard to see through his pathetic little charade.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
what upgrades is shark park getting? the stadium I mean not the LC. The big problem for the sharks is their lack of football generated revenue that comes from having a small fanbase. Theres only so much gap a golf club can fill.
For about the tenth time. The corporate facilities overlooking the Bay and the game. Improvements to the Western side seating, public access and access to centre of excellence.

Cronulla-Sutherland has the 3rd largest junior base in Sydney.

You act as if Sutherland Shire has no room for growth, better tell the council, state government, developers.

Anyways we going no where, I reckon the Firebirds will get the nod if anyone does.

MugaB

Coach
“Every team in Sydney (*** except mine) should be considered to be relocated to Brisbane/Perth,” said every LU fan.
At least in Buzz's case he said that none should go anywhere, instead of throwing another club under the bus, "United we stand" ....buzz

For about the tenth time. The corporate facilities overlooking the Bay and the game. Improvements to the Western side seating, public access and access to centre of excellence.

Cronulla-Sutherland has the 3rd largest junior base in Sydney.

You act as if Sutherland Shire has no room for growth, better tell the council, state government, developers.

Anyways we going no where, I reckon the Firebirds will get the nod if anyone does.
In the original story by Crawley, Dino says in it that we have actually now surpassed Parra and have the second biggest junior base in Sydney. I’m gathering he is including all participants in the tag games, women’s etc as they all come under the NRL umbrella these days.
Either way, our area has the second most participants after Penrith. We are a club that actually develops players. Yeah let’s move the club 1000kms away, loads of sense there.