What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter Beatte NRL 360 - expansion

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The disgruntled fan bases would give League and other sports a free kick .Yes. and yes again. It would Certainly give there TV numbers a boost. Do you think that Swans and Lions would have got such a firm foot hole in NSW and Qld if there hadn't been such turmoil in our game in the past 25 years? Its not about holding it, its about loosing territory. And giving it away for what ??????? to Alienate more League Fans.

Yep. Swans and Lions fans are pretty clearly Victorian Expats.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
So you would give all that territory and its fans to the AFL and the other codes Another 1 step forward two step back s type of guy.

Forgot to login as Stallion before replying again mate.

No, RL would have plenty of professional clubs in both the NRL and the National 2nd Teir under my proposal. The AFL would still only have two clubs so we have got Sydney very much sewn up. Under my proposal all clubs will also still exist but will be playing at a level most appropriate for them.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
That's where is doesn’t work. The 2nd division idea is not (repeat,NOT ) acceptable for these great clubs you dismiss as relegation clubs. It's not right and its disrespectful!
The lack of understanding the importance of cultural generational and locality based support is incredible and astonishing! Are you of adult age? If so and you come up with this stuff, then you require a brain overhaul immediately!

In its current state, no, the second teir is no more than an NRL feeder league. But under my proposal it will be a fully professional league with stand-alone clubs, many of which have a long history in the game. Manly v Norths at North Sydney Oval or Brooky on a Sunday afternoon anyone? This would be an appropriate fixture for this league to tap into the nostalgia and cater for the traditionalists in the game.

This proposed league would be broadcast on Fox League with one game a week on channel 9 (as they currently do with QLD / NSW Cup). The ratings provided, especially for the increased marquee matches would provide enough value to the networks to allow the league to be full-time (albeit on lower salaries than the NRL players). It would generate roughly the amount of revenue that the NBL does and they run a full-time league and fly teams between Perth and NZ.

Stop spouting your usual catch-phrases about importance of cultural blah blah blah - my proposal covers all of that and reunites some of the lost rivalries that you point to and allows them to play at their suburban home grounds well into the future with no pressure to move.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The disgruntled fan bases would give AFL other sports a free kick .Yes. and yes again. It would Certainly give there TV numbers a boost. Do you think that Swans and Lions would have got such a firm foot hole in NSW and Qld if there hadn't been such turmoil in our game in the past 25 years? Its not about holding it, its about loosing territory. And giving it away for what ??????? to Alienate more League Fans.

The real question here is why would you want to give them an opportunity? why would you want to alienate league viewers?

According to the Tv figures there are 70 thousand NSW viewers watching the Swans on a Fri night.

And when the Lions were going the numbers would have been similar in Qld.

The Lions don't have a firm foothold in anything in Brisbane mate - they are in big trouble, crowds dwindling year-after-year, financial losses - no one cares here. Do you even do any research before making these kind of claims?

In terms of the Swans, they got a leg up from SL and a few GF appearances around the same time but after 30 years their average crowds have stagnated around 30 - 35k. For a long time they were the only AFL club in town and for all of the cities AFL fans to be pooled into one club and only come up with that figure is not that impressive. On top of that, their TV ratings are appauling. The Giants and Suns are a disaster and aren't getting a foothold in anything anytime either.

Let's take manly as an example. What happens if the worst case scenario plays out for them and their fans and they die completely. The NRL takes the licence and awards it to Perth. At their peak the Sea Eagles averaged 15k so I'll be generous and say that all 15k fans are lost to the game (which is unlikely). Perth will come in and average between 12 and 15k in their first season and slowly as the decades pass, build that up to between 15 and 20k. Then what? After 30 years the Sea Eagles fans have been replaced and a team with a much higher ceiling for growth has come in and the game is actually bigger for it.

A similar situation happened when Norths were lots. Melbourne have more than picked up the slack and the comp and comp value are much greater because it happened. Your stance is actually the one that is sending the game backwards.

Stallion

First Grade
lol have you seen the AFL tv audiences, crowds for GWS and genuine registered playing numbers in Sydney? They have literally spent hundreds of millions of $'s on getting very little back. NS hasn't become an AFL stronghold. The swans crowds are no bigger now than they were when NS was cut from the comp. The tv audiences are no different now than when NS got cut. The evidence simply does not stack up that people in NS became AFL fans because the Bears now play in the second tier.

The game has strengthened and grown despite losing some foundation clubs, it will continue to do so as time marches on. Its as inevitable as you using the word dilution.

If you honestly think the code has been strengthened by losing teams in Sydney, you are a lost cause! Northern Sydney has been weakened and other codes along with AFL have been enjoying the free invitation/ride! If you can't work this outime? That's your blinkered ignorance coming through.

Stallion

First Grade
Im wondering if Stallion is actually a computer program dedicated to trolling...

He cannot form full sentences or understand debate. He just keep generating buzzwords and meaningless sentences.

Surely no one is actually so thick...

I certainly have lowerred my proactive intellect standards with the shite I'm seeing from a certain group in this website. Mind you: it's the same "village idiots" going over the same destructive and ignorant comments. So others, including myself, continue the good fight whist you waste this websites time and forward thinking comment. That's a reality on here. I will admit the moderators (most of them) do genuinely have rugby league at heart and this is something I have learnt over my time on this website. Unfortunately the destructive ignorant element are still at play. Some with decent comments in other threads however the usual suspects blissfully looking to damage the code with their fanciful and reckless ideas have been all too consistent and laboriously evident. The good guys just deal with it and plod on despite the irritation!

Stallion

First Grade
In its current state, no, the second teir is no more than an NRL feeder league. But under my proposal it will be a fully professional league with stand-alone clubs, many of which have a long history in the game. Manly v Norths at North Sydney Oval or Brooky on a Sunday afternoon anyone? This would be an appropriate fixture for this league to tap into the nostalgia and cater for the traditionalists in the game.

This proposed league would be broadcast on Fox League with one game a week on channel 9 (as they currently do with QLD / NSW Cup). The ratings provided, especially for the increased marquee matches would provide enough value to the networks to allow the league to be full-time (albeit on lower salaries than the NRL players). It would generate roughly the amount of revenue that the NBL does and they run a full-time league and fly teams between Perth and NZ.

Stop spouting your usual catch-phrases about importance of cultural blah blah blah - my proposal covers all of that and reunites some of the lost rivalries that you point to and allows them to play at their suburban home grounds well into the future with no pressure to move.

Though well meaning your proposal is fanciful and not practical. Fans do not (REPEAT DO NOT) warm to 2nd division status no matter how you put it. It's top flight or lose the fans in Australia! Especially fans that have clubs in the top flight. You take that away, no matter how you massage it, you take them away! Plus the neutrals!

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Buuuuuuull shit.

Give us some stats or youre talking shit. How are registration numbers? How are tv audience?

Todd Greenburg has acknowledged the game has taken a hit in northern Sydney since the demotion of the Bears. I'm sure they (the NRL) are aware of the mess. What is certain is that other codes are growing in participation and viewing numbers in northern Sydney. (10000 crowds in local union games etc, tv audience drop off in numbers viewing NRL and SOO in northern Sydney ) Participation numbers:Northern Sydney has never featured as a growth area for rugby league over the past decade. The latest participation report mentions Western Sydney, Penrith and Cronulla as growth areas with 70percent attributed to women's RL) The main benefactors being union and AFL in northern Sydney prevails as you pelicans deny "the holocaust "!

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
So you put zero value on the tradition and history of the BRL clubs simply because of the power of poker machine money? Seems pretty shallow. I though you were all for history and traditional clubs.
Once again you are essentially off topic! The Sydney competition was and is the catalyst of the NRL competition. Extremely different notoriety and backgrounds between such competitions. Sydney happened to be foundation of the NRL. Brisbane club comp was and is not the foundation of the NRL. A big difference!

Perth Red

Post Whore
If you honestly think the code has been strengthened by losing teams in Sydney, you are a lost cause! Northern Sydney has been weakened and other codes along with AFL have been enjoying the free invitation/ride! If you can't work this outime? That's your blinkered ignorance coming through.

I think the code has been strengthened by creating room for Melbourne to join the comp by reducing the clubs in Sydney.

If you think the code wouldn't be strengthened by losing two sydney clubs and replacing them with perth and Brisbane2 you are a lost cause! Perth and Brisbane has been weakened and other codes along with AFL have been enjoying the free invitation/ride! If you can't work this outime? That's your blinkered ignorance coming through.

@stagnationwillbethedeathofthegame

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Once again you are essentially off topic! The Sydney competition was and is the catalyst of the NRL competition. Extremely different notoriety and backgrounds between such competitions. Sydney happened to be foundation of the NRL. Brisbane club comp was and is not the foundation of the NRL. A big difference!

Because of poker machine money.

May I ask, do you have any regard at all for any traditions or traditional clubs in RL outside of Sydney?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Though well meaning your proposal is fanciful and not practical. Fans do not (REPEAT DO NOT) warm to 2nd division status no matter how you put it. It's top flight or lose the fans in Australia! Especially fans that have clubs in the top flight. You take that away, no matter how you massage it, you take them away! Plus the neutrals!

Shute Shield anyone?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Todd Greenburg has acknowledged the game has taken a hit in northern Sydney since the demotion of the Bears. I'm sure they (the NRL) are aware of the mess. What is certain is that other codes are growing in participation and viewing numbers in northern Sydney. (10000 crowds in local union games etc, tv audience drop off in numbers viewing NRL and SOO in northern Sydney )Two of the main benefactors being union and AFL as you pelicans deny "the holocaust "!

Just because RL the # 1 game in Sydney, it doesn't mean that other codes aren't going to grow. You do know that RL is growing quite switfly in Melbourne and Perth too don't you? No one is panicking that RL is taking over because average Storm average crowds have more than doubled since 2005. Is AFL losing part of their city to RL? No, both codes are growing side-by-side as we are seeing in Sydney.

RL is and always will be # 1 in Sydney and AFL is and always will be # 1 in Melbourne. The keys stats, TV ratings, memberships and crowds are some of the strongest they have ever been (crowds not quite at their peak but the NRL decided to compromise the schedule so that no games clash on TV which is what fans were asking for). All of this indicates that the game is bigger than ever.

Do you deny that the game is bigger than ever?

Stallion

First Grade
Because of poker machine money.

May I ask, do you have any regard at all for any traditions or traditional clubs in RL outside of Sydney?
Ofcourse I do. And I find your questing insulting. (par for the course amongst you blokes))To this day I have not objected to the existence of clubs in the top flight outside of Sydney. So once again your point is mute!

Stallion

First Grade
Just because RL the # 1 game in Sydney, it doesn't mean that other codes aren't going to grow. You do know that RL is growing quite switfly in Melbourne and Perth too don't you? No one is panicking that RL is taking over because average Storm average crowds have more than doubled since 2005. Is AFL losing part of their city to RL? No, both codes are growing side-by-side as we are seeing in Sydney.

RL is and always will be # 1 in Sydney and AFL is and always will be # 1 in Melbourne. The keys stats, TV ratings, memberships and crowds are some of the strongest they have ever been (crowds not quite at their peak but the NRL decided to compromise the schedule so that no games clash on TV which is what fans were asking for). All of this indicates that the game is bigger than ever.

Do you deny that the game is bigger than ever?

The game is nowhere near where it should be! Under performance doesn't impress. Some of us have more discerning and respectful ways of going forward. And some don't!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The game is nowhere near where it should be! Under performance doesn't impress. Some of us have more discerning and respectful ways of going forward. And some don't!

I agree that the game is nowhere near where it should be. Let's define where it should be... I'll go first:

An NRL team in Perth, a second NRL team in Brisbane, a second NRL team in New Zealand, a national, fully professional second division (no direct P&R but applications to be looked at on merit and strategy) with no affiliations to NRL clubs, stadia strategy already in place in Sydney, address the oversaturation of the Sydney market so that the larger Sydney clubs can beome the massive sporting brands that they should be.

Your turn, let me know what it should be for you...

With regards to 'respectful', in our exchanges you are the only one that throws insults around.