What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Challenge Cup 2019

adamkungl

Immortal
So even with the £500k bond the RFL stood to lose £300k on normal expected earnings

Absolutely nothing to do with Catalans. They can't even get a decent crowd to a Wigan v Warrington Grand Final at Old Trafford.

The real reasons are all on the lap of the RFL.
The painfully drawn out season structure,
the poor marketing,
the perception of SL falling behind the NRL and Rugby Union due to the RFL's ineptitude,
the perception of RL being a dinky sport for northerners, again due to the RFL's ineptitude.

Stallion

First Grade
Absolutely nothing to do with Catalans. They can't even get a decent crowd to a Wigan v Warrington Grand Final at Old Trafford.

the poor marketing,
the perception of SL falling behind the NRL and Rugby Union due to the RFL's ineptitude,
the perception of RL being a dinky sport for northerners, again due to the RFL's ineptitude.

Really dissappointing to know this about the RFL in England. Prior to this I thought they pretty progressive given developments like the Toronto Wolfpack and a robust Catalans. It's a bit of a let down. The poor administration at the RFL probably has been reflected in the non playing of at least one test with the Kangaroos and Lions in 2019. That if any test match should have been scheduled! A southern Pacific Lions tour without playing the Kangaroos! Incredible and astonishing!

Pommy

Coach

the poor marketing,

I’m not defending them asking for money but how can you say it’s nothing to do with catalans? Who is supposed to attend the challenge cup final if not Catalans fans?

What’s the capacity at Old Trafford for league? I know it’s not (or wasn’t) the same as football as they had to remove seats for a big screen. The grand final drew 65k which is hardly a bad crowd.

adamkungl

Immortal
I’m not defending them asking for money but how can you say it’s nothing to do with catalans? Who is supposed to attend the challenge cup final if not Catalans fans?

What’s the capacity at Old Trafford for league? I know it’s not (or wasn’t) the same as football as they had to remove seats for a big screen. The grand final drew 65k which is hardly a bad crowd.

The GF has drawn over 70k most years and 2018, featuring 2 big clubs, was it's lowest since 2009.
I'm very skeptical Warrington v Wigan at Wembley brings many more fans in considering the current mood of UK fans.
The Cup final has been trending downward for years while Catalans was nowhere near it.

A competition governing body can't hold a club responsible for not being popular enough to sell out the final. An event of that prestige should have sold most of the tickets before the finalists are even known.
If they're going to continue to hold it in London, they need to do more in London. 1 event a year isn't enough.
England should have played NZ in London instead of Hull.
Marketing needs to be far stronger, you can't turn around without hearing an Aussie or Kiwi accent but they do little to leverage this.

Pommy

Coach
The GF has drawn over 70k most years and 2018, featuring 2 big clubs, was it's lowest since 2009.
I'm very skeptical Warrington v Wigan at Wembley brings many more fans in considering the current mood of UK fans.
The Cup final has been trending downward for years while Catalans was nowhere near it.

A competition governing body can't hold a club responsible for not being popular enough to sell out the final. An event of that prestige should have sold most of the tickets before the finalists are even known.
If they're going to continue to hold it in London, they need to do more in London. 1 event a year isn't enough.
England should have played NZ in London instead of Hull.
Marketing needs to be far stronger, you can't turn around without hearing an Aussie or Kiwi accent but they do little to leverage this.

I think you’re overestimating the prestige of the challenge cup. Has it ever been in a position to sell most of the tickets before the winners are known? Being held in London I highly doubt it.
I do agree about not holding them hostage it’s totally wrong, but what’s the answer? If it runs at a loss it won’t be held anymore.

adamkungl

Immortal
I think you’re overestimating the prestige of the challenge cup. Has it ever been in a position to sell most of the tickets before the winners are known? Being held in London I highly doubt it.

It peaked at 80,000 in 2015 in London. It trades on the idea of being English Rugby League's most prestigious trophy.

Pommy

Coach
It peaked at 80,000 in 2015 in London. It trades on the idea of being English Rugby League's most prestigious trophy.

I assume most of those people were Leeds and KR fans who didn’t buy their tickets ahead of time though.

Pommy

Coach

Red Star Belgrade’s squad for historic tie against Millom, quite possibly the only time you will see historic and Millom in the same sentence.

Pommy

Coach
Team sheet for Red Stars game tomorrow.

I forgot they had two Americans in the squad.

adamkungl

Immortal
Expansionist update...

Serbian, Irish, Welsh, and Scottish entrants all defeated in the first round.
All Golds, London Chargers, Hammersmith Hills Hoists, North Herts Crusaders were representing the south of England and all hit the first hurdle too.

Round 2 will be an all-Northern affair.

Round 3 sees the entry of League 1 clubs Coventry, London Skolars, North Wales Crusaders, West Wales Raiders

Round 4 we have the Championship clubs entering, all Northern-based.

Round 5 is London Broncos among the other top 4 Super8 Qualifiers teams.

and lastly Round 6 the title holders Catalans join the fray with the remaining Super League clubs.

Here's hoping for some outsiders to have a good run!

Hopefully 2020s format allows for Toulouse, Toronto, and the Elite One winner to join

Pommy

Coach
Expansionist update...

Serbian, Irish, Welsh, and Scottish entrants all defeated in the first round.
All Golds, London Chargers, Hammersmith Hills Hoists, North Herts Crusaders were representing the south of England and all hit the first hurdle too.

Round 2 will be an all-Northern affair.

Round 3 sees the entry of League 1 clubs Coventry, London Skolars, North Wales Crusaders, West Wales Raiders

Round 4 we have the Championship clubs entering, all Northern-based.

Round 5 is London Broncos among the other top 4 Super8 Qualifiers teams.

and lastly Round 6 the title holders Catalans join the fray with the remaining Super League clubs.

Here's hoping for some outsiders to have a good run!

Hopefully 2020s format allows for Toulouse, Toronto, and the Elite One winner to join

I know this year there was the issue with the bond but previously Toulouse have just decided not to take part haven’t they?
Toronto entered last year playing in the same competition so I’m pretty sure there was nothing stopping them.

adamkungl

Immortal
I know this year there was the issue with the bond but previously Toulouse have just decided not to take part haven’t they?
Toronto entered last year playing in the same competition so I’m pretty sure there was nothing stopping them.

Yeah. My wording was a bit off.
Regardless of previous reasons, hopefully they participate.

adamkungl

Immortal
Challenge Cup Rounds 2 and 3 have now been played

https://www.rugby-league.com/challengecup/results

Round 3 saw:

Coventry falling to Doncaster
West Wales with yet another big loss, this time to Newcastle
North Wales taking down London Skolars

No League One clubs lost to lower level clubs
Workington v Siddal was postponed

Still standing in round 4:

(League One)
North Wales
Keighley
Oldham
Whitehaven
Newcastle
Hunslet
Doncaster

(Amateurs)
West Hull
Thatto Heath
Lock Lane
Featherstone Lions

12 Championship teams enter in Round 4, with neither Toronto or Toulouse featuring.
That leaves North Wales flying a fairly small flag for the expansionists!

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
Challenge Cup Rounds 2 and 3 have now been played

https://www.rugby-league.com/challengecup/results

Round 3 saw:

Coventry falling to Doncaster
West Wales with yet another big loss, this time to Newcastle
North Wales taking down London Skolars

No League One clubs lost to lower level clubs
Workington v Siddal was postponed

Still standing in round 4:

(League One)
North Wales
Keighley
Oldham
Whitehaven
Newcastle
Hunslet
Doncaster

(Amateurs)
West Hull
Thatto Heath
Lock Lane
Featherstone Lions

12 Championship teams enter in Round 4, with neither Toronto or Toulouse featuring.
That leaves North Wales flying a fairly small flag for the expansionists!

Just had a look at this weekends League 1 round, West Wales are away to the Thunder, oh dear!.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Really dissappointing to know this about the RFL in England. Prior to this I thought they pretty progressive given developments like the Toronto Wolfpack and a robust Catalans. It's a bit of a let down. The poor administration at the RFL probably has been reflected in the non playing of at least one test with the Kangaroos and Lions in 2019. That if any test match should have been scheduled! A southern Pacific Lions tour without playing the Kangaroos! Incredible and astonishing!

To be fair, there is a lot about RL that you think you know but that you are wrong about

Latest posts