What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repression of rugby league : Information to share and discussion.

Stallion

First Grade
Those are suspicions, which are fine to put forward. Please don't use them as the basis for your arguments when you cannot substantiate them.

If you are unsure, why have you repeatedly asserted it without checking? Please be more careful when making arguments, do informed research and know who and what you are talking about. Less speculation and more facts.

It's definitely Andrew Hill. He now is the CEO for the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It's definitely Andrew Hill. He now is the CEO for the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs.
Which means he is not the same person deciding the current international scheduling. So you should withdraw that inferrence.

Stallion

First Grade
You must remember that the NRL is only interested in the NRL.

That is where the struggle lies. The RLIF trying to get the NRL to be more expansive in their approach.

Yes. Agree. However I'm privy to knowledge that a renowned sports professor (David Rowe ) was guest speaker at a seminar discussing rugby league’s "way ahead". (about 4 years ago)This included all major executives/ stake holders of Australian rugby league. His main advice was that rugby league needed to concentrate and dedicate itself to growing it's international relevance. Perhaps the rugby-league people haven't taken notice of this advice. It was well meaning and direct. Looking at recent decisions it seems that the Rugby league is ignoring such a recommendation?

Timmah

Staff member
Perhaps the rugby-league people haven't taken notice of this advice. It was well meaning and direct. Looking at recent decisions it seems that the Rugby league is ignoring such a recommendation?
That's precisely what madunit is telling you!

Stallion

First Grade
Which means he is not the same person deciding the current international scheduling. So you should withdraw that inferrence.

With respect you may have missed my point. Hill was the organiser of the 2017 rugby-league world till resigning his post a month prior to the event. My main concern is the people within rugby league that opted to employ this person. the decisions have and are still being made that do not have international rugby league at heart or progressing.

Springs09

Juniors
I think the issue with the 2017 World Cup was entirely Rugby League's. Pathetic advertising/promotion anywhere and the inability/decision to secure grounds in heartland regions like Sydney and Brisbane for marquee matches were the biggest issues and had nothing to do with the cricket.

Here in Melbourne I think I saw maybe a dozen posters around the city (mostly at AAMI Park). There was nothing on local radio or in Newspapers. Channel 7 basically did most of the promotion.

It felt like the NRL had every intention of distancing itself from the WC. I saw better promotion for Melbourne Storm and Melbourne Rebels games down here.

That alone was a huge problem. I met with some RL Journo's and historians in Melbourne who had travelled from the UK and they were amazed at how little promotion there was for the game, and that's saying something given the profile of RL in the UK today.

One guy came to follow Wales and look at their schedule - Game 1 - Port Moresby, Game 2 - Townsville, Game 3 - Perth, then he had to cover a game in Melbourne for a UK magazine.

That amount of travel is absurd for 3 games.

Another was reporting on the England games, a marquee team and they played at Melbourne (twice), Sydney, Perth, Auckland and Brisbane.

Having the games spread out so far, across a number of countries makes it hard and very expensive for fans to travel to and support. These are facts which I think are very important yet often ignored. A lot of the problems Rugby League faces today stem from it's own poor management first. Be it planning, inaction or an unwillingness to fight.

That's not to say that there aren't other outside factors, but I think in a line of conversation like this, it is wise to look at the game's own failings first and foremost.

The game can never grow and expand if it is poorly run, regardless of the antics of other sports. A well run game can withstand the attacks of outside influences. A poorly run game will continue to be trod upon by them.

The game's governing body has long needed and appears to be heading in the direction of finally having some ticker.

It needs to stand up to both the RFL and NRL and tell them clearly "The RLIF runs Rugby League. Not the NRL. Not the RFL."

For too long the International body was dictated to by the major nations.

Melbourne wasn't great, but I couldn't turn the corner in Canberra or Brisbane without seeing advertising for the World Cup. In Brisbane there were signs up everywhere. In Canberra even the hotel I stayed at had lines of little cardboard jerseys strung out all over the place.

When it comes to travel well that's just how it is for tournaments in Australia. In the 2008 World Cup, which was better supported per game, England went Townsville - Melbourne - Newcastle - Brisbane. For the 2003 Rugby World Cup they played at Brisbane, Perth, Melbourne and Sydney. In 2013 in England New Zealand went Warrington - Avignon - Leeds - London - Manchester. It's not ideal for travelling fans but it never is.

But yes overall, the World Cup wasn't great because of our own organisers. Scheduling, pricing and the apathy of our own fans were all rubbish. Promotion could have been better, particularly during the NRL season, but if someone in Canberra or Brisbane didn't know the World Cup was on they must be blind.

Timmah

Staff member
Melbourne wasn't great, but I couldn't turn the corner in Canberra or Brisbane without seeing advertising for the World Cup. In Brisbane there were signs up everywhere. In Canberra even the hotel I stayed at had lines of little cardboard jerseys strung out all over the place.
I have to dispute @madunit's assessment of Melbourne's advertising - on my travels throughout mid-late 2017 I saw more RLWC advertising than I've ever seen for the Storm in the time I've lived here.

That may come from living in different parts of Melbourne, not sure, but I didn't have an issue with how well promoted RLWC was down here at all.

Pommy

Coach
One of the biggest issues in terms of advertising was that neither 9 or Fox had the rights.
Whilst 7s coverage was great the hype wasn’t built up by the rugby league media at the tail end of the season.
Think about origin, channel 9 forget the NRL even exists for about 2 months mid season.

Timmah

Staff member
With respect you may have missed my point. Hill was the organiser of the 2017 rugby-league world till resigning his post a month prior to the event. My main concern is the people within rugby league that opted to employ this person. the decisions have and are still being made that do not have international rugby league at heart or progressing.
That is not the point you made. Your point was about conspirators and undermining, and now you seem to be slowly suggesting your point is the one madunit has presented - that RL bosses themselves undermine the game by not focussing on the international calendar as much as they should.

I'm not sure why your analysis of Hill suggests he "isn't a rugby league person" either. Of his five roles in the last decade, four have been in rugby league, only one in AFL and that was as a middle manager at the GWS club.

Your arguments could do without attacking the character of individuals, instead rather constructive, reasonable suggestions and solutions. Leave the recriminations out.

Springs09

Juniors
One of the biggest issues in terms of advertising was that neither 9 or Fox had the rights.
Whilst 7s coverage was great the hype wasn’t built up by the rugby league media at the tail end of the season.
Think about origin, channel 9 forget the NRL even exists for about 2 months mid season.

Bingo, that's the big one.

Neither 9 nor Fox would say anything about it. The only thing Fox ever said about it was about 10 minutes on NRL360 every Monday. I can't remember if Channel 7's contract was exclusive rights - as in Fox couldn't show it at all - or if Fox chose not to show replays because they didn't get exclusive rights. Either way not having anything about the World Cup on Fox League was silly.

Timmah

Staff member
100% spot on - and sadly if 9 did have the rights you can bet your arse that while they might have promoted it well etc, the coverage itself would've been sub-par.

Stallion

First Grade
That's precisely what madunit is telling you!

So it does mean their are people within rugby league not making decisions for the benefit of international rugby league. Glad we agree. It's worth discussing and yes I'll try to use names where I can. Thanks.

Stallion

First Grade
That is not the point you made. Your point was about conspirators and undermining, and now you seem to be slowly suggesting your point is the one madunit has presented - that RL bosses themselves undermine the game by not focussing on the international calendar as much as they should.

I'm not sure why your analysis of Hill suggests he "isn't a rugby league person" either. Of his five roles in the last decade, four have been in rugby league, only one in AFL and that was as a middle manager at the GWS club.

Your arguments could do without attacking the character of individuals, instead rather constructive, reasonable suggestions and solutions. Leave the recriminations out.

No need to counsel me Timmah. We all have opinions. This guy made a shambles of the rugby league world cup. He was employed by GWS (AFL). His appointment was a mistake . Someone appointed this person. Someone made that mistake within rugby league.

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
So it does mean their are people within rugby league not making decisions for the benefit of international rugby league. Glad we agree. It's worth discussing and yes I'll try to use names where I can. Thanks.
I don't know that anybody disputed that.

What people are frustrated with is your tenor, continually suggesting it's conspiratorial without substantiated evidence to support such a position.
No need to conceal me Timmah. We all have opinions. This guy made a shambles of the rugby league world cup. He was employed by GWS (AFL). His appointment was a mistake . Someone appointed this person. Someone made that mistake.
Conceal? What?

As for "shambles" of a RLWC? Based on what exactly? Why was his appointment a mistake?

Also, he did not resign or walk away a month before the event, he stayed on til the RLWC concluded and then began at Canterbury in December. And for what it's worth, he hasn't done a whole lot wrong as CEO of Canterbury since then.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have to dispute @madunit's assessment of Melbourne's advertising - on my travels throughout mid-late 2017 I saw more RLWC advertising than I've ever seen for the Storm in the time I've lived here.

That may come from living in different parts of Melbourne, not sure, but I didn't have an issue with how well promoted RLWC was down here at all.
In comparison with the promotion I had seen down here for State of Origin, in the middle of the AFL season, I think the RLWC promotion was very poor in Melbourne. They had no other football code to compete with and yet the advertising down here was poor, given it was a great opportunity to push the game very hard with next to no competition.

I don't think it was aggressive enough down here. Especially considering the part of Melbourne I'm in is deemed to be the most RL keen area (hence the construction of a RL facility out this way being built). It seemed the advertising I saw was strictly limited to AAMI Park and Fed square.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
But that's not to suggest they are trying to kill International Rugby League.

They've just put it well down on their list of priorities.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
No need to counsel me Timmah. We all have opinions. This guy made a shambles of the rugby league world cup. He was employed by GWS (AFL). His appointment was a mistake . Someone appointed this person. Someone made that mistake within rugby league.
As I alluded to earlier, I don't think the RLWC failings fall squarely on the efforts of one person.

It's a cultural issue within the game, the separate nations and the RLIF. The RLIF is making changes to rectify this, which is being met in some instances by some resistance.

There's no evil plot. It's a battle of priorities between two organisations that should be working together but are pulling in different directions.

One wants to grow the game globally, the other wants to grow the game to wherever it can make the most money for itself.

Timmah

Staff member
In comparison with the promotion I had seen down here for State of Origin, in the middle of the AFL season, I think the RLWC promotion was very poor in Melbourne. They had no other football code to compete with and yet the advertising down here was poor, given it was a great opportunity to push the game very hard with next to no competition.

I don't think it was aggressive enough down here. Especially considering the part of Melbourne I'm in is deemed to be the most RL keen area (hence the construction of a RL facility out this way being built). It seemed the advertising I saw was strictly limited to AAMI Park and Fed square.
Granted I think what I saw was mostly in the inner suburbs as well - Richmond, Collingwood, Carlton, Fitzroy etc - places close to the ground. Once you got outside the rivers - i.e. across the Yarra and Maribynong... duck egg

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Granted I think what I saw was mostly in the inner suburbs as well - Richmond, Collingwood, Carlton, Fitzroy etc - places close to the ground. Once you got outside the rivers - i.e. across the Yarra and Maribynong... duck egg
I'm not as rich as you inner city folk, living in the hot spots, I'm out in the burbs.

Stallion

First Grade
I don't know that anybody disputed that.

What people are frustrated with is your tenor, continually suggesting it's conspiratorial without substantiated evidence to support such a position.

Conceal? What?

As for "shambles" of a RLWC? Based on what exactly? Why was his appointment a mistake?

Also, he did not resign or walk away a month before the event, he stayed on til the RLWC concluded and then began at Canterbury in December. And for what it's worth, he hasn't done a whole lot wrong as CEO of Canterbury since then.

That's not my understanding. Read it in paper that he had quit ? And it's a tad early to judge with respects to the Bulldogs Job.Are you bullying me?

Latest posts