What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC News

Pommy

Coach
I don’t think they have ever put it in writing but Catalans have made it obvious that they see a mid season Test/s as a huge distraction. Having them eligible for relegation hardens their stance.

I know we’re a long way off but I dream of the day when the RLIF has as much sway as fifa and can mandate multiple international windows with real repercussions if clubs get too big for their boots.

Pommy

Coach
Do we have any hints at all about the possible venues?

I did see an article which I can’t find now but from memory bids were supposed to have come from the obvious SL clubs and then Preston NE, Anfield, Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Coventry, Bristol, London Olympic stadium, Tottenham’s new stadium, old Trafford.
It’s worth noting a devolved English body has invested a lot of money so all games will be in England this time around.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I know we’re a long way off but I dream of the day when the RLIF has as much sway as fifa and can mandate multiple international windows with real repercussions if clubs get too big for their boots.

A nice dream, but if that ARLC cant control the clubs, j dont expect the RLIF to have much more luck...

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Sorry to go off topic, but we are in the international thread.

Are you actually from/in South America or just a supporter of the cause?

I'm an Aussie with a South American wife and strong links to the Latin American community in Brisbane and I can speak Spanish and Portuguese. I'm loving what's going on with the game in Latin America all started by the efforts of the Latin Heat.

Jason Robinson and Alex Simmons have been named joint operations directors of Jamaica on their road to the 2021 Rugby League World Cup. Robinson, who scored 685 points in 302 games for Wigan between 1992-2000, is of Scottish and Jamaican heritage. The 44-year-old represented Great Britain and England 19 times in rugby league, while earning 56 caps for Great Britain and England in rugby union. Alongside Rugby AM host Simmons, Robinson will oversee operations, commercial strategies and brand development for Jamaica over the next three years. The Reggae Warriors became the first Caribbean nation to qualify for a Rugby League World Cup last year as they won the Americas Championship. On being appointed joint operations director, Simmons said: “I’m immensely proud to accept the position and challenge to build on the achieve the JRLA made by qualifying for the 2021 Rugby League World Cup. “Having Jason Robinson on board gives us a broader appeal commercially and he brings so much experience across the board.”

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/dual-code-legend-jason-robinson-joins-jamaica-backroom-staff/

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/rlwc2021-invests-more-than-90k-in-local-communities/

The Rugby Football League have announced the latest recipients of funding form the Rugby League World Cup.

A total of £10million is available to local clubs and community projects as part of the tournament’s wider InspirationALL legacy initiative.

£9m will be allocated to large-scale requests costing more than £15,000, with the remaining £1m being granted to smaller-scale projects such as those listed below:

Cumbria

• Barrow Island ARLFC, Barrow-in-Furness – new goalposts and dugout repairs to complement the club’s new pitch project, plus mowing equipment for ongoing maintenance.
  • Kells ARLFC, Copeland – playing facility improvements to allow more teams and players to train and compete.
  • Millom ARLFC, Copeland – major clubhouse improvements to create a welcoming environment and secure the club’s long-term future.
London & South East

• London Youth Games Foundation, Redbridge – playing equipment to strengthen the existing Year 5/6 competition and grow the Y8/9 competition within a school games programme that encompasses 33 London boroughs.
  • Richmond Rugby League Club – playing kit and equipment to develop participation at under 11s and help to create a ‘minis’ section.
Midlands

• All Golds Rugby, Gloucester – equipment to support the delivery of two schools Rugby League festivals.
  • Bassetlaw Bulldogs RLFC, Nottinghamshire – range of playing and non-playing equipment to promote participation and facility improvements.
North West

• Ashley High School, Widnes – playing equipment to develop the disability version of Rugby League.
  • Bank Quay Bulls ARLFC, Warrington – new catering facility for the benefit of teams and visitors alike.
  • Bridgewater High School, Warrington – kit and equipment to encourage participation, especially in the women’s and disability versions of Rugby League.
  • Haydock Warriors ARLFC, St Helens – kit and equipment to grow playing numbers and to develop the girls’ game.
  • Portico Vine ARLFC, St Helens – kit and equipment to help grow the club’s juniors section.
  • St Cuthberts/Norley Hall Sports & Community Club, Wigan – changing room renovation.
  • St Peter’s Pavilion Limited/Hindley ARLFC – innovative digital signage to improve club visibility and promotion.
  • University of Manchester Rugby League Football Club – kit and equipment to support the development of Rugby League on campus.
  • Wigan Bulldogs ARLFC – kit and equipment to create a new cubs’ section for children aged four and above.
  • Wigan Warriors Community Foundation – kit and equipment to expand Rugby League activity in development Blackburn, Bolton and Chorley.
Yorkshire

• Heworth ARLFC, York – development of onsite multi-purpose gym.
  • University of Leeds Women’s Rugby League Club – kit and equipment to support increase in participation.
  • West Leeds ARLFC – new goalposts, post protectors and line marker to create a safer and more attractive playing environment for the club’s growing membership base.
The above awards total more than £90,000.

All award recipients are invited attend the Coral Challenge Cup Final at Wembley Stadium on Saturday, August 24 and to take part in an on-field celebration during the half time interval.

Pommy

Coach
I’m disappointed that nothing has made it’s way to the Hull area yet.

From listening to the organisers on the 5live podcast they’re expecting clubs to raise money also. Perhaps the people of Hull just haven’t put the work in?

deluded pom?

Coach
From listening to the organisers on the 5live podcast they’re expecting clubs to raise money also. Perhaps the people of Hull just haven’t put the work in?
That’s probably true. There isn’t one club in Hull with their own ground in Hull IIRC. They are usually works facilities or council pitches.

Pommy

Coach
That’s probably true. There isn’t one club in Hull with their own ground in Hull IIRC. They are usually works facilities or council pitches.

That seems crazy as far as I know most of the furness clubs have their own pitches, with a much smaller population.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/21...ide-so-every-2021-world-cup-player-gets-paid/
Organisers of the 2021 World Cup in England have set aside a $3.5 million funding pot to provide equal payments to every player and prizemoney for the women’s and wheelchair tournaments for the first time.

With the game’s 16th World Cup now just two years away, RLWC2021 organisers have revealed:

• female and wheelchair players will also receive participation payments for the first time;
  • they will be equal to payments for players in the men’s tournament, and;
  • the standard of accommodation, transport and training facilities will be the same across the tournaments.
A further announcement will be made later this month about the scheduling of women’s matches to bring turn-around times closer to those enjoyed by men’s teams.

The six teams at the 2017 Women’s World Cup played matches three days apart and a similar schedule was in place for 2021 pool matches at Anfield, Headingley and York but organisers have agreed to make changes.

RLWC2021, which comprises of a 16-nation men’s tournament played concurrently with eight-team women’s and wheelchair tournaments over a five-week period from October 23, 2021 until the November 27 final at Old Trafford, is being billed as the biggest and the best since the concept began in 1954.

It will also be the most inclusive, with RLWC2021 CEO Jon Dutton telling players at last weekend’s World Cup 9s they would receive equal payments and conditions in England.

gp1_1089-copy.jpg

Players from the six women's teams at the 2017 World Cup.:copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
“From a participation fee perspective, it is absolutely equal so men and women will get exactly the same,” Dutton said.

“Wheelchair will get exactly the same on a pro-rata basis because there are less players per team but if you divide that by the number of players in a squad it will be equal across the board.”

A total of 21 countries are expected to be involved across the three tournaments, including Jamaica (men’s), Brazil (women’s) and Norway (wheelchair).

Nations confirmed so far are:

• Men: Australia, England, Fiji, France, Jamaica, Lebanon, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Tonga, Wales;
  • Women: Australia, Brazil, Canada, England, France, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Wales, and;
  • Wheelchair: Australia, England, France, Norway, Scotland, Spain, USA, Wales.
With up to 16 nations expressing interest in entering women’s teams in an Emerging Nations World Cup, it is likely that a formal qualifying process will be in place for the 2025 World Cup.

The final five places at the men’s World Cup will be determined next month, with two of Greece, Russia or Scotland and Ireland, Italy or Spain, and the winner of the Cook Islands-USA match in Florida to qualify.

Tournament officials don’t pay the players directly but will include a clause in the participation agreements for competing nations requiring them to pass on a minimum payment to their players.

There will be a revised participation agreement for all competing nations that includes player welfare, codes of conduct and the fulfilment of commercial obligations.

“Our board have worked hard with colleagues at the IRL and the Rugby League Players Association (RLPA) to secure this positive and ground-breaking decision and we’re delighted with the outcome," Dutton said.

“One of our core values as a tournament is inclusivity and we believe that our revised agreements showcase our determination to ensure we celebrate this in 2021.”

One of our core values as a tournament is inclusivity.

Jon Dutton
Each country is able to top up payments to their players but the move ends the disparity at the 2017 World Cup in which members of the winning Australian team received $50,000 each and their Tongan counterparts earned $500.

Prizemoney for the men’s tournament will also increase by 125% from the 2017 World Cup in Australia and New Zealand, while women and wheelchair teams will receive prizemoney for the first time.

“It will be proportionate,” Dutton said. “The men’s prize fund is bigger because of the number of teams and number of rounds that take place but there was no prize fund for women or wheelchair so all of that is absolutely brand new.”

The announcement of equal payments for all players at the 2021 World Cup comes after NRL.com revealed each member of the 12 men’s and four women’s teams at last weekend’s World Cup 9s would receive a $2000 participation payment.

Pay parity has also been introduced for the Oceania Cup, featuring Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Tonga and Fiji, with organisers paying each player $2500 per Test.

To fulfil their ambitions for the 2021 World Cup, tournament organisers are aiming to sell 40% of tickets to event goers rather than traditional league fans.

While tickets do not go on sale until after the draw is announced midway through next year, other indicators suggest the tournament is tracking well in comparison to previous World Cups.

In the eight years since England last hosted the World Cup, the level of UK government funding has increased from GBP1 million to GBP25 million, while all 61 matches at the 2021 tournament will be broadcast on the BBC compared to seven of 28 matches in 2013.

I'm an Aussie with a South American wife and strong links to the Latin American community in Brisbane and I can speak Spanish and Portuguese. I'm loving what's going on with the game in Latin America all started by the efforts of the Latin Heat.
Seriously with your connections get them young kids of Latin American descent playing Rugby League even if you have to set up a new club. It will be a winner

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Seriously with your connections get them young kids of Latin American descent playing Rugby League even if you have to set up a new club. It will be a winner

Latin Heat is all over it mate and they are doing a great job. They have single handedly kick-started the game in Latin America and just about all activiy in the region can be traced back to Latin Heat.

Pommy

Coach
So it looks very likely the Saudi investment fund will be purchasing an 80% stake in Newcastle United meaning the opening game will be played in a stadium effectively owned by the Saudi royal family. Given how they’re trying to use sport to improve their image in the west I wonder if there’s anything the sport can get from it.