What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repression of rugby league : Information to share and discussion.

Stallion

First Grade
But that's not to suggest they are trying to kill International Rugby League.

They've just put it well down on their list of priorities.

Which is very concerning given the advice and what is at stake!: The growth of rugby league!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's not my understanding. Read it in paper that he had quit ? And it's a tad early to judge with respects to the Bulldogs Job.Are you bullying me?
Well given that the World Cup ended and the next one in Australia probably won't be for over a decade's time, what do you suggest he should've done?

And you have to quit a job to take up a new one. I think you may be reading into that a bit too much mate.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which is very concerning given the advice and what is at stake!: The growth of rugby league!
Naturally, but the NRL is only concerned with growing the NRL. In their eyes, growing the game internationally is the RLIF's job.

The RLIF view is that everyone should be working together to grow the game everywhere for the betterment of everyone.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
That's not my understanding. Read it in paper that he had quit ? And it's a tad early to judge with respects to the Bulldogs Job.Are you bullying me?
His role at Canterbury commenced after his RLWC responsibilities concluded in December.

As for the Bulldogs role, I was quite clear in saying he's done little wrong since taking the reigns just over a year ago. I'm not suggesting he's perfect but he's already proving more balanced and putting the club in a better direction than it was under Castle, in my and many other fans' opinion.

Timmah

Staff member
I'm not as rich as you inner city folk, living in the hot spots, I'm out in the burbs.
giphy.gif

Stallion

First Grade
Well given that the World Cup ended and the next one in Australia probably won't be for a decade's time, what do you suggest he should've done?

And you have to quit a job to take up a new one. I think you may be reading into that a bit too much mate.

Suppose it's all discussion. Remembering I firmly believe that the code of rugby league is being repressed. Their have been examples put forward and I argue that this is another example. And let their be no doubt that incompetent administration is a main hurdle for the code going foward. And the RLWC 2017 is an example of what incompetent administrationadministration within rugby league can do.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, look at the mess the club was in under Castle. Backended contracts practically brought the club to its knees. They've had to oversee a roster cleanout, a new coach and all of it on a shoestring budget and they are now, after just one season, in a strong place with plenty to look forward to.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Suppose it's all discussion. Remembering I firmly believe that the code of rugby league is being repressed. Their have been examples put forward and I argue that this is another example. And let their be no doubt that incompetent administration is a main hurdle for the code going foward. And the RLWC 2017 is an example of what incompetent administrationadministration within rugby league can do.
While repression of Rugby League is very real, I am confident that it wasn't at play at the RLWC.

Rugby League is very strong in Australia, thus repression of the game here is virtually impossible. It's going to be more prevalent in nations where it's not one of the top 2-3 sports.

Timmah

Staff member
Correlation ≠ causation.

Meaning - incompetence doesn't equate immediately to conspiracy to repress. Sometimes (in fact, most of the time), incompetence is pure.

Stallion

First Grade
His role at Canterbury commenced after his RLWC responsibilities concluded in December.

As for the Bulldogs role, I was quite clear in saying he's done little wrong since taking the reigns just over a year ago. I'm not suggesting he's perfect but he's already proving more balanced and putting the club in a better direction than it was under Castle, in my and many other fans' opinion.

Yes. I agree on the Castle comment. Time will tell. And if he is proactive and respectfull, I will comment this observation with no issues.

Stallion

First Grade
While repression of Rugby League is very real, I am confident that it wasn't at play at the RLWC.

Rugby League is very strong in Australia, thus repression of the game here is virtually impossible. It's going to be more prevalent in nations where it's not one of the top 2-3 sports.

I think rugby league, though strong (and deservedly so) is being constrained and contained in Australia. I am.happy to put foward examples of this constrainment and containment ?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seems to happen alot in rugby league!?
It does. The RLIF has had a lot of poor leaders in the past who likely saw/treated the role with the RLIF as a chore.

The RLIF now is better organised, focussed and making it clear that they will now run the show. It's only now that we are starting to see some genuine leadership at the very top of the game.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think rugby league, though strong (and deservedly so) is being constrained and contained in Australia. I am.happy to put foward examples of this constrainment and containment ?
In the past, I have no doubt. Currently, I'd be surprised.

Feel free to put them forward mate and we'll discuss them all.

Stallion

First Grade
What does? Have you got a range of examples?

Mistakes. Rugby league world cup scheduling, poor scheduling of international games, the Superleague war split and subsequent agreement, poor game day scheduling in local leagues, lack of cross promotion with other sports as witnessed with AFL in particular (Big Bash cricket), lack of proactive development work (why can't rugby league be an option atv elite private schools? etc) , having local players that have Monday to Friday jobs playing rugby league on a Sunday instead of Saturday(* this moreso a player welfare issue given the physicality contact in rugby league compared to other codes) -It's actually losing players to other codes that play only on the socially desirable Saturdays. There's more and I will gladly mention them later on. I'm doing a walk atm. I'm sure you will happy to know I won't be commenting for a number of days (taking my 10year old daughter on a cruise)

Timmah

Staff member
Mistakes. Rugby league world cup scheduling, poor scheduling of international games, the Superleague war split and subsequent agreement, poor game day scheduling in local leagues, lack of cross promotion with other sports as witnessed with AFL in particular (Big Bash cricket), lack of proactive development work (why can't rugby league be an option atv elite private schools? etc) , having local players that have Monday to Friday jobs playing rugby league on a Sunday instead of Saturday(* this moreso a player welfare issue given the physicality contact in rugby league compared to other codes) -It's actually losing players to other codes that play only on the socially desirable Saturdays. There's more and I will gladly mention them later on. I'm doing a walk atm. I'm sure you will happy to know I won't be commenting for a number of days (taking my 10year old daughter on a cruise)
Let's focus on modern times. Super League is now more than 20 years ago.

I'm happy to agree international games in general are poorly scheduled.

Some RLWC games (mostly regional centre games like Cairns for example) were poorly scheduled but on the whole it seemed to work ok.

Poor game day scheduling in local leagues - what do you mean by this?

What cross-promotion would you suggest? Direct competitor codes like AFL and Super Rugby will almost never entertain such a prospect. Meanwhile I've noticed more than enough cross promotion during Big Bash this summer when it comes to talking about Rugby League.

Your remark about 'proactive development' generalises about private schools without providing any real data so I can't agree there.

Regarding local players, it's my understanding that both Saturday and Sunday are widely used.

(can I also make a suggestion, it's much easier to read and reason if you use paragraphs. Walls of text are difficult to read and can put others off)

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mistakes.
That's the key word to start with.
Rugby league world cup scheduling
already discussed above.
poor scheduling of international games
This has been recognised by the RLIF and they are working on a range of new contests to get more international sides playing more regularly.
the Superleague war split and subsequent agreement
Greed v Tradition. In the end, both lost. Super League though served a purpose of dragging the game into current times. There were mistakes and the whole thing was atrociously handled. Super League though were confident given how widely they were accepted and introduced in other countries, including England.
poor game day scheduling in local leagues
evidence of the NRL and RFL looking after their pockets first
lack of cross promotion with other sports as witnessed with AFL in particular (Big Bash cricket),
That cross promotion between AFL and cricket has to happen though, given they share venues. The only games RL shares venues with are fierce rivals Soccer and Rugby Union. A relationship with Aleague sides may be useful, but that would only serve to help the Aleague, not the NRL. Which sports could RL cross-promote with?
lack of proactive development work (why can't rugby league be an option atv elite private schools? etc)
Elite private schools aren't public, so the decisions as to which sports are played there is one for each individual school. You can't force someone to run their business in a way that suits you,
having local players that have Monday to Friday jobs playing rugby league on a Sunday instead of Saturday(* this moreso a player welfare issue given the physicality contact in rugby league compared to other codes) -It's actually losing players to other codes that play only on the socially desirable Saturdays.
I think that while this may help to reduce the number of off-field incidents, it comes with other issues, such as lack of exposure for the game which means a drop in advertising/revenue and likely a reduction in player salaries as a result. This would then see codes paying more for elite athletes to be a better alternative without having to work a Monday to Friday job. This will then lead to an exodus of players. Furthermore, this is an old Rugby Union idealogoy and one we should steer clear of, given that it only served to make Australian RU what is (or isn't) today..
There's more and I will gladly mention them later on. I'm doing a walk atm. I'm sure you will happy to know I won't be commenting for a number of days (taking my 10year old daughter on a cruise)
I'm happy to have a reasonable discussion about the game with anyone. Enjoy your cruise.

Stallion

First Grade
Let's focus on modern times. Super League is now more than 20 years ago.

I'm happy to agree international games in general are poorly scheduled.

Some RLWC games (mostly regional centre games like Cairns for example) were poorly scheduled but on the whole it seemed to work ok.

Poor game day scheduling in local leagues - what do you mean by this?

What cross-promotion would you suggest? Direct competitor codes like AFL and Super Rugby will almost never entertain such a prospect. Meanwhile I've noticed more than enough cross promotion during Big Bash this summer when it comes to talking about Rugby League.

Your remark about 'proactive development' generalises about private schools without providing any real data so I can't agree there.

Regarding local players, it's my understanding that both Saturday and Sunday are widely used.

(can I also make a suggestion, it's much easier to read and reason if you use paragraphs. Walls of text are difficult to read and can put others off)

The data for elite private school rugby league participation in Australia is zero. A competition did exist amongst Elite private schools on Brisbane from the 1930. (ceased in 1947) But zilch anywhere else in Australian elite private schools. Mind you other codes are being played. (Union ofcourse, soccer, AFL etc) And btw superleague decisions are still negatively impacting rugby league on Australia to this day. The only plus out of superleague was the Melbourne Storm from my view.

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
The data for elite private school rugby league participation in Australia is zero. A competition did exist amongst Elite private schools on Brisbane from the 1930. (ceased in 1947) But zilch anywhere else in Australian elite private schools. Mind you other codes are being played. (Union ofcourse, soccer, AFL etc)
If the data doesn't exist then you can't make blanket statements in either direction that support or oppose your point. It's not terribly instructive to have that discussion without that data.

Regardless - as @madunit pointed out, elite private schools will choose to run the programs they see fit and have demand for, nobody can force them to do anything.