What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Discussion

franklin2323

Immortal
Why would the Raiders do this? Only necessary on their part if they need to open a roster spot. NRL has them at only 25 spaces filled.

Then we shouldn't release him. It gives us that bit of depth for another season. Which to answer your question is my beef. Look at Dallin's age. If he gets the start then age wise will be one for awhile... So what is the need to develop a kid as backup? Those cases get someone that can be a short term fill in if needed. That we don't do

Abacus

Juniors
Then we shouldn't release him. It gives us that bit of depth for another season. Which to answer your question is my beef. Look at Dallin's age. If he gets the start then age wise will be one for awhile... So what is the need to develop a kid as backup? Those cases get someone that can be a short term fill in if needed. That we don't do
Not sure what your point is. I wouldn't release Edwards. I'd be playing Dallin at wing and have him covering FB & centre.

As for developing back-ups, you do realise you build a squad for more than 1 season at a time right?

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
Not sure what your point is. I wouldn't release Edwards. I'd be playing Dallin at wing and have him covering FB & centre.

As for developing back-ups, you do realise you build a squad for more than 1 season at a time right?

I could be wrong because this is just the feeling i get from his comments but it seems like Franklin just wants us to plan and go all out for the upcoming season only and worry next season next year. Forget the fact that we have seen many times at Penrith and other clubs what kind of shit fight a lack of long term planning gets you with the salary cap, but hey we could have Merrin on the bench for this year and we wouldn't be in cap trouble till next season!

franklin2323

Immortal
I could be wrong because this is just the feeling i get from his comments but it seems like Franklin just wants us to plan and go all out for the upcoming season only and worry next season next year. Forget the fact that we have seen many times at Penrith and other clubs what kind of shit fight a lack of long term planning gets you with the salary cap, but hey we could have Merrin on the bench for this year and we wouldn't be in cap trouble till next season!

We have planned for the future. Look at the age of everyone. Maloney aside but we got Luai to take over. So should look at strengthening the depth under them for the current season

betcats

Referee
We have planned for the future. Look at the age of everyone. Maloney aside but we got Luai to take over. So should look at strengthening the depth under them for the current season

They have done that IMO, but you cant have everything. There always has to be some give and some take if that makes sense. Sele, Grant, MWZ are Tyrell are the epitome of depth signings. It would be nice if we could sign higher quality depth players but not if it means we might not of kept Kikau or Waqa etc. The more rep players we have the worse our depth is going to be, there is no avoiding that.

franklin2323

Immortal
They have done that IMO, but you cant have everything. There always has to be some give and some take if that makes sense. Sele, Grant, MWZ are Tyrell are the epitome of depth signings. It would be nice if we could sign higher quality depth players but not if it means we might not of kept Kikau or Waqa etc. The more rep players we have the worse our depth is going to be, there is no avoiding that.

So do we have more depth then in 2016? We had more depth then yet had more rep players

franklin2323

Immortal

You have said yourself we have a top 4 roster. The average age is 24. When Ivan's 5 year deal runs out Nathan, JFH, Kikau, Blake etc won't even be 30 yet.

So medium term we are sorted. The academy will make sure we are set long term. It is the short term planning we lack

franklin2323

Immortal
Of course they do, I never said they didn't. What is your point?

You pretty much said poor coaching stopped us from Top 4. I can't think of too many games we lost on tactics most we lost due to dumb errors by players.

When these players stop that we will be top 4

betcats

Referee
So do we have more depth then in 2016? We had more depth then yet had more rep players

Half the squad was still on the deals they signed when they were teenagers back then and hadn't tested the market as a number we have re-singed now have done, we also have now have two million dollar halves right now compared too two halves we took off the scrap heap.

Who were our rep players that year? Moylan, Mansour, Dallin, Merrin? Hiku?. Our squad this year is stronger than it was in 2016.

Last edited:

Exsilium

First Grade
Still debating how shit hook was.

Will be interesting to see how IC goes. He may not deliver the results and then what? He’s shit too?

Alternatively he may bring us gold in spades and the mob will rejoice.

Ultimately, it is a matter of perspective. If you consider us to be a top 4 guarantee then you’ll likely be disappointed, whoever the coach.

If you want Penrith to be a regular finals contender and play good consistent footy, watch on.

We’re 5-8 quality without issue. Top four regulars is a whole other level.

mxlegend99

Referee
2016 side was stacked but the part that was best about 2016 is that with their age we should have been looking at building on 2016 over the next 2 seasons.

Based on the squad we had and form to finish the year we really should have been a top 4 team and premiership threat. Bookies had us as such.

franklin2323

Immortal
2016 side was stacked but the part that was best about 2016 is that with their age we should have been looking at building on 2016 over the next 2 seasons.

Based on the squad we had and form to finish the year we really should have been a top 4 team and premiership threat. Bookies had us as such.

The depth especially in that side was awesome. Soward, Hiku etc were rep players who we have covered with new rep players.

Guys that were fringe guys that were on the edge that Replaced team. Cleary, Blake etc haven't be replaced. So our top 17 is more settled as then but depth wise we are behind

franklin2323

Immortal
When you have same issues across multiple seasons with different players of rep quality it is a great indication of poor coaching.

Who left and actually got better? Not saying they won't but Kikau and JFH for example aren't 80 min players.

No doubt they look awesome in a 40 min ball work session but in a game situation make stupid decisions. When they grow out of that we will be a great team

Latest posts