What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Discussion

franklin2323

Immortal
Half the squad was still on the deals they signed when they were teenagers back then and hadn't tested the market as a number we have re-singed now have done, we also have now have two million dollar halves right now compared too two halves we took off the scrap heap.

Who were our rep players that year? Moylan, Mansour, Dallin, Merrin? Hiku?. Our squad this year is stronger than it was in 2016.

Moylan, Mansour, Hiku, Whare, DWZ, Soward, Wallace, McKendry, Merrin were either origin or test players before or during 2016.

We also added Tamou on rep money during the year.

martielang

Bench
They aren't part of any players plan either. But they are signs of a poorly coached side, a lack of discipline and basic skills falls onto the coach certainly.

Mate if you’re mid 20s & still need a lesson each week on how to catch a ball... Being a professional RL player probably isn’t your go.

TheFrog

Coach
Also very easy to throw up "We were 2 wins from the minor premiership" When in reality we were no where near the top sides
There was really only one side we were nowhere near, and they had a blessed run with injuries on the way to winning the comp. As it turned out, no-one else was anywhere near them either in the end. We were inferior only to the team that bought a premiership.

betcats

Referee
Mate if you’re mid 20s & still need a lesson each week on how to catch a ball... Being a professional RL player probably isn’t your go.

Maloney makes the most mistakes I guess pro footy isn’t his go right? Players make mistakes, even pro ones. Coaching plays a big part in their form are we really going to debate that?

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
Moylan, Mansour, Hiku, Whare, DWZ, Soward, Wallace, McKendry, Merrin were either origin or test players before or during 2016.

We also added Tamou on rep money during the year.

I’m talking about current rep players on those deals. We signed Soward from reserve grade, we are talking about the salary cap be serious.

soc123_au

Staff member
Maloney makes the most mistakes I guess pro footy isn’t his go right? Players make mistakes, even pro ones. Coaching plays a big part in their form are we really going to debate that?

Bellamy proves this point consistently. At the Storm plodders are coached to play a role and not make mistakes. Its robotic but effective. The same players leave & go back to being plodders. Of course they have had the luxury of Smith, Slater, Cronk etc to provide the brilliance, but the whole team lays the platform. If the coaching wasnt quality, Smith & Cronk wouldnt have had the platform to do what they do.

Robinson too to a lesser extent, as much as I hate the Roosters, credit has to go where its due. In the time he has been coaching them on paper at season kick off they have been a bog average looking team.The results over the course of most years tell a different story. All jokes about the salary sombrero have really only been warranted in the last decade last season with the acquisition of Cronk & Tedesco.

Bellamy proves this point consistently. At the Storm plodders are coached to play a role and not make mistakes. Its robotic but effective. The same players leave & go back to being plodders. Of course they have had the luxury of Smith, Slater, Cronk etc to provide the brilliance, but the whole team lays the platform. If the coaching wasnt quality, Smith & Cronk wouldnt have had the platform to do what they do.

Robinson too to a lesser extent, as much as I hate the Roosters, credit has to go where its due. In the time he has been coaching them on paper at season kick off they have been a bog average looking team.The results over the course of most years tell a different story. All jokes about the salary sombrero have really only been warranted in the last decade last season with the acquisition of Cronk & Tedesco.
Ivan isn't Bellamy but he's not Griffin either. If Jimmy is good this year then we are in with a shot but he's been declining and the back half of last year was atrocious

OldPanther

Coach
We have planned for the future. Look at the age of everyone. Maloney aside but we got Luai to take over. So should look at strengthening the depth under them for the current season

We've signed depth. We can't keep rep players on the bench or reserve grade. The salary cap is specifically meant to stop the kind of stockpiling of talent you seem to be advocating for.

franklin2323

Immortal

That is where a great coach is seperated from the good coach. Ivan is a good coach is yet to prove a great one

franklin2323

Immortal
We've signed depth. We can't keep rep players on the bench or reserve grade. The salary cap is specifically meant to stop the kind of stockpiling of talent you seem to be advocating for.

Who said Rep stars? Just players with less question marls about whether they can handle FG or not. Liam Martin and co look decent prospects but are they ready for an NRL semi if called on?

franklin2323

Immortal

He has been a 2nd play making option. Even he was out of his comfort zone. Yeo, Mansour, Whare the guys that are settled were the ones that were most consistent

Kilkenny

Coach
You want guys like Merrin.

Had Merrin stayed which he was entitled to do it is likely we would not have had the funds required to resign one of JFH or Waa Blake or potentially both. Gus ruthless as he is and despite his fondness for Trent opted for the the younger options and I think most would agree with his decision. Personally I am disappointed to see Trent leave I think he was great in his time here even if his form was effected by his relationship break up. At the end of the day Waqa Blake was a must keep and we have so much talent in Trents position which made him surplus to requirements unfortunately.

Crashtest

Juniors
A positive article on Kakau giving back to the Fiji community.

Apart from one of our NSW cup players, it’s good to the Panthers players have managed to avoid any offseason incidents. Hopefully a good sign on the culture and discipline at the club.

Interesting to read he was the last player to get out of the fat club, after returning to preaseason 121kg.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/du...s-one-back-for-good-guys-20190124-p50tgx.html

The Realist

Juniors
Had Merrin stayed which he was entitled to do it is likely we would not have had the funds required to resign one of JFH or Waa Blake or potentially both. Gus ruthless as he is and despite his fondness for Trent opted for the the younger options and I think most would agree with his decision. Personally I am disappointed to see Trent leave I think he was great in his time here even if his form was effected by his relationship break up. At the end of the day Waqa Blake was a must keep and we have so much talent in Trents position which made him surplus to requirements unfortunately.

Trent was good but not great. The question is, was he value for money? I would say definitely no. His first (best) year with us was just below break-even, the rest he was definitely below par.

Getting rid of Trent was definitely the right decision - but signing him in the first place for what he was on was definitely a bad decision.

franklin2323

Immortal
Trent was good but not great. The question is, was he value for money? I would say definitely no. His first (best) year with us was just below break-even, the rest he was definitely below par.

Getting rid of Trent was definitely the right decision - but signing him in the first place for what he was on was definitely a bad decision.

Stats wise he was our best performed prop. That alone should put pressure on the other props. Let's hope it puts a rocket up them

Latest posts