What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your top three Australian movies

Wizardman

First Grade
1. Mad Max series. I grouped them as a series otherwise my list would simply be Mad Max 2,1 and Fury Road. Mad Max 2 easily makes my top ten movies of all time list. Brilliant movie making with a very dark tone, great story, interesting characters and settings and great stunts. One of the movies that inspired my interest in film.

2. Romper Stomper: A movie that has been forgotten as time has gone on. Brilliant movie that displays the holes in the race hating argument. Crowe's best performance which has been lost in his Hollywood success. The movie may well have fallen apart without that intense performance,

3. The Man From Hong Kong....very much a guilty pleasure. Nowhere near the quality of the first two movies but as a martial arts fan, I loved the Australian/Hong Kong movie co project. A fight scene at Uluru, Silverwater Jail scenes, Sydney Harbour scenes, 1970's Sydney....it sure captured the time period perfectly. Supporting actors like Roger Ward, Hugh Keays-Byrne, Bill Hunter, Frank Thring along with George Lazenby all play their part.

1. The Babadook (2014)

A horror film of rare power. First time I watched this, I had to stop it for about twenty minutes, such was its intensity. I truly rate this up there with classics of the genre, like The Shining. A brilliant, brilliant film.

2. Red Hill (2010)

A simply awesome revenge, quasi-Western thriller that has a thumping pace & electric action sequences. This one hasn’t been seen by too many people, & that’s a damn shame. Worth seeking out.

3. The Tunnel (2011)

Shot on a micro-budget, this is another pretty obscure film few people have seen, but is wonderfully shot & tremendously realistic in its presentation. A horror film which doesn’t necessarily do anything new, but does it extremely well. You’ll never walk comfortably through St. James Station again, that’s for sure.

—————————————————

My favourite film of all-time, Dark City, is considered by some to be an Australian movie. It was shot in Sydney, & the story was conceived by Australian Alex Proyas, who also directs. However, I’d say the fact it was financed & distributed by a Hollywood studio disqualifies it.

Last edited:

Wizardman

First Grade
1. The Babadook (2014)

A horror film of rare power. First time I watched this, I had to stop it for about twenty minutes, such was its intensity. I truly rate this up there with classics of the genre, like The Shining. A brilliant, brilliant film.

2. Red Hill (2010)

A simply awesome revenge, quasi-Western thriller that has a thumping pace & electric action sequences. This one hasn’t been seen by too many people, & that’s a damn shame. Worth seeking out.

3. The Tunnel (2011)

Shot on a micro-budget, this is another pretty obscure film few people have seen, but is wonderfully shot & tremendously realistic in its presentation. A horror film which doesn’t necessarily do anything new, but does it extremely well. You’ll never walk comfortably through St. James Station again, that’s for sure.

—————————————————

My favourite film of all-time, Dark City, is considered by some to be an Australian movie. It was shot in Sydney, & the story was conceived by Australian Alex Proyas, who also directs. However, I’d say the fact it was financed & distributed by a Hollywood studio disqualifies it.
A lot of quality Australian movies do just seem to get lost. Movies like "Head On" (Alex Dimitriardis) and "Dead Heart" (Bryan Brown) are excellent Australian movies that just disappeared between the cracks.
I've seen "Red Hill"....good flick.

I'll pick any three from these:

Crocodile Dundee
The Man From Snowy River
Gallipoli
Dogs From Space
The Year My Voice Broke
BMX Bandits
Breaker Morant
Malcolm
Young Einstein

The Castle
Cosi
Romper Stomper
Dating The Enemy
Hercules Returns (is this on DVD? Remember seeingthis on new release video and our house dying of laughter).

The Dish
Rabbit Proof Fence
Bad Eggs
Crackerjack
Moulin Rouge
Lantana
Mr Accident
Let's Get Skase

Bran Neu Dae
Beneath Hill 60
Predestination
Daybreakers
Paper Planes
These Final Hours

Last edited:

Tommy Smith

Referee
In no particular order:

Mad Max: Fury Road
Mad Max: The Road Warrior
Wake In Fright (an incredible, must-see movie).

horrie hastings

First Grade
I'll pick any three from these:

Crocodile Dundee
The Man From Snowy River
Gallipoli
Dogs From Space
The Year My Voice Broke
BMX Bandits
Breaker Morant
Malcolm

The Castle
Cosi
Romper Stomper
Dating The Enemy
Hercules Returns (is this on DVD? Remember seeingthis on new release video and our house dying of laughter).

The Dish
Rabbit Proof Fence
Bad Eggs
Crackerjack
Moulin Rouge
Lantana

Bran Neu Dae
Beneath Hill 60
Predestination
Daybreakers
Paper Planes
These Final Hours

Some good ones there, good to see Cosi get a mention, Lantana too.