What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Trek to return to the small screen.

bileduct

Coach
I am with you on the Michael stuff..she is a bit too much. Is there nothing she cannot do or know?
Star Trek coined the term "Mary Sue" and Michael is the biggest Mary Sue yet as well as being one of the most irritating main Star Trek characters of all time.

Jack Deth

Juniors
Star Trek coined the term "Mary Sue" and Michael is the biggest Mary Sue yet as well as being one of the most irritating main Star Trek characters of all time.
I am irritated by how the character has been written so far..but i do like the show a lot.

bileduct

Coach
I am irritated by how the character has been written so far..but i do like the show a lot.
I really enjoyed the first season as I have long thought that Star Trek needed a good reboot. Despite what the showrunners say about it fitting into the prime universe I still consider it to be a reboot anyway.

The Star Trek format was really stale before Voyager concluded which was one of the main reasons I never watched Enterprise. But even going through that now I'm feeling like I've seen most of these storylines already in one of the other shows. I just watched an Enterprise episode where this lonely telepathic guy wanted a companion and I'm sure there was some episode of TNG or whatever where some bug alien did pretty much the same thing.

Jack Deth

Juniors
I really enjoyed the first season as I have long thought that Star Trek needed a good reboot. Despite what the showrunners say about it fitting into the prime universe I still consider it to be a reboot anyway.

The Star Trek format was really stale before Voyager concluded which was one of the main reasons I never watched Enterprise. But even going through that now I'm feeling like I've seen most of these storylines already in one of the other shows. I just watched an Enterprise episode where this lonely telepathic guy wanted a companion and I'm sure there was some episode of TNG or whatever where some bug alien did pretty much the same thing.

I agree about Discovery.

Voyager was just about passable but rehashed too many old story lines. I just gave up on Enterprise.

bileduct

Coach
Geez, speaking of old storylines... I watched the new episode of Discovery today, then went back to watching Enterprise just now. The plot is about a bunch of humans living in an old western style town that have been in the expanse for over 200 years...

Timbo

Staff member
Geez, speaking of old storylines... I watched the new episode of Discovery today, then went back to watching Enterprise just now. The plot is about a bunch of humans living in an old western style town that have been in the expanse for over 200 years...

Eh, I thought there was enough of a difference to make it enjoyable. Also, that general concept was also used in Voyager and The Original Series.

I feel like that episode existed to establish this version of Pike a bit more.

I’m wondering if Disco is going to rotate a few different people through the big chair - as envisioned the show was supposed to be an anthology show.

bileduct

Coach
Eh, I thought there was enough of a difference to make it enjoyable. Also, that general concept was also used in Voyager and The Original Series.
I was like 5 minutes into the episode when I posted that. I just found it amusing that after I'd only just posted about the similarities in episodes I watched a Discovery and a Enterprise episode back to back which both started out with the exact same premise - unknown humans that have been far out in uncharted space for over 200 years.

Timbo

Staff member
Geez they really pulled some bullshit out of their asses to explain why all the Klingons suddenly grew hair.

That bothered me. I mean, that was a direct reaction to Reddit’s Star Trek sub losing their collective shit over bald Klingons in Season 1.

But f**k me some rusted on Trekkies are hard work. Any minor change is sacrelige and there are seriously f**kwits over there arguing the design asthetic of Discovery should be the same as The Orignal Series. Because that’ll get the franchise new fans.

Every version of Trek has had its own look, it’s not the 1960s anymore. Just get over it.

bileduct

Coach
That bothered me. I mean, that was a direct reaction to Reddit’s Star Trek sub losing their collective shit over bald Klingons in Season 1.

But f**k me some rusted on Trekkies are hard work. Any minor change is sacrelige and there are seriously f**kwits over there arguing the design asthetic of Discovery should be the same as The Orignal Series. Because that’ll get the franchise new fans.

Every version of Trek has had its own look, it’s not the 1960s anymore. Just get over it.
I learned a long time ago that the dyed in the wool Star Trek fans will nitpick the shit out of anything inconsistent.

But as you said, it was a direct reaction to the backlash against the Klingons and for no other reason. I had no problem with the new look, and it's geniused to suggest that Discovery should have The Original Series aesthetic especially when Enterprise (the show) looked more advanced.

Glenn Hetrick is a f**king moron. I hated the guy before this show, and I hate him even more now. He should have just stuck with his concept instead of pulling this shit out of his ass to explain why they now have hair. People that switched off aren't going to start watching again because of this change.

Timbo

Staff member
I learned a long time ago that the dyed in the wool Star Trek fans will nitpick the shit out of anything inconsistent.

But as you said, it was a direct reaction to the backlash against the Klingons and for no other reason. I had no problem with the new look, and it's geniused to suggest that Discovery should have The Original Series aesthetic especially when Enterprise (the show) looked more advanced.

Glenn Hetrick is a f**king moron. I hated the guy before this show, and I hate him even more now. He should have just stuck with his concept instead of pulling this shit out of his ass to explain why they now have hair. People that switched off aren't going to start watching again because of this change.

It’s also happened a hundred times before.

Original - Klingons with smooth foreheads. Movies and TNG - ridges. For no reason whatsoever.

And people went... cool, the production has more money and bit more creative scope.

Trill’s in TNG had massive ridges all over their foreheads. Then they cast Terry Farrell in DS9 and decided you can’t cover a smokeshow like that in prosthetics, so they all just decided that Trills now had spots, not ridges. And people were fine with it.

There are just bitter miserable older fans out there who are resentful that this show isn’t exactly the same as shows made in the 60’s and 80’s.

Television has changed. New fans aren’t going to watch shows made like that, so they latch on to any minor change - changes that they themselves were fine with during the original runs of NextGen and DS9 - and scream ‘tHiS IsNt sTaR TrEk!!!!!!’

bileduct

Coach
I'm about halfway through season four of Enterprise and I gotta say they finally found the perfect formula for this show. The first two seasons were pretty bland and not much of a departure from the episode structure of previous series. The third season was pretty lame because the Xindi season arc just got boring after a while.

But season four being broken up into several multi-episode stories is perfect. Opening with the space Nazis probably wasn't the best choice, but I'm loving the Romulans, and the ones with Brent Spiner were pretty good too. Jeffrey Combs is awesome no matter what character he's playing and the Andorians are great. Even the Vulcans are bearable in this season.

It's disappointing that it was too late by the time they figured out what they were doing with this show.

Timbo

Staff member
I'm about halfway through season four of Enterprise and I gotta say they finally found the perfect formula for this show. The first two seasons were pretty bland and not much of a departure from the episode structure of previous series. The third season was pretty lame because the Xindi season arc just got boring after a while.

But season four being broken up into several multi-episode stories is perfect. Opening with the space Nazis probably wasn't the best choice, but I'm loving the Romulans, and the ones with Brent Spiner were pretty good too. Jeffrey Combs is awesome no matter what character he's playing and the Andorians are great. Even the Vulcans are bearable in this season.

It's disappointing that it was too late by the time they figured out what they were doing with this show.

The unproduced fifth season looked pretty good too:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Undeveloped_Star_Trek:_Enterprise_episodes

You're absolutely right, season four is by far the best but unfortunately people had just stopped watching by this point because of the dross that came before it. My advice to you whilst watching the final season is to consider the penultimate episode the true season finale and the season finale a bit of a coda. 'These Are The Voyages' is an... interesting... episode.

bileduct

Coach
The unproduced fifth season looked pretty good too:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Undeveloped_Star_Trek:_Enterprise_episodes

You're absolutely right, season four is by far the best but unfortunately people had just stopped watching by this point because of the dross that came before it. My advice to you whilst watching the final season is to consider the penultimate episode the true season finale and the season finale a bit of a coda. 'These Are The Voyages' is an... interesting... episode.
Yeah I remember hearing about the series finale years ago. Pretty f**ked way to end the show.

DlEHARD

Juniors

Thanks for posting exactly what I was going to. This is very true. She is annoying as f**k.

bileduct

Coach
Thanks for posting exactly what I was going to. This is very true. She is annoying as f**k.
I forgot to add... Sonequa Martin-Green is also a f**king terrible actor for a lead role.

Avery Brooks, Patrick Stewart, Kate Mulgrew, Scott Bakula, William Shatner... All of these dudes had extensive experience in at least two of television, film or theater before their Star Trek gigs. Martin-Green was on The Walking Dead and that's about it. She sucked on that show too.

bileduct

Coach
Anyone else left with the impression that they cut off Saru's spidey-sense because they had absolutely no f**king idea how to write around it?

As for Number One... Would bang. Rebecca Romijn has never looked better.

Last edited:

Latest posts