What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Discussion

TheFrog

Coach
What was the traumatic experience? Getting sacked?

Well yes. The timing can't have helped. You have to remember it was foreshadowed in the media long before it happened. The bloke was under pressure for all of last season and the one before as well.

so he should just harden up and update that resume.

You people who were his harshest critics are now wanting him to saddle up again. What if he agrees with you that he had shortcomings? He's got a gig with the Waratahs, probably pays all right, and he's just about invisible. Sounds OK to me.

Last edited:
Interesting situation in 2019

No more excuses for Ivan Cleary, he’s finally got a roster that he can hit the ground runnings with

But

He also has a 5 year contract.

I still can’t wrap my head around how badly this situation has been handled. If Cleary goes poorly this year the pressure on the club will become immense, heads other the coaches will need to roll.

Blues Riff

Bench
At least Wal (as attacking coach) would ask Gus and Brandy for advice if needed. Ivan and Ciro too of course. Should be good.

betcats

Referee

And Hook put his hand up for all of them, right? Does it compute that the bloke has been through a traumatic experience and might not be in a hurry to walk up to the plate again?

Hahahaha get the f**k out of here you have to be related to him.

BxTom

Bench
Hahahaha get the f**k out of here you have to be related to him.
Hook has a job with rugby and as I pointed out, he got a pay out covering 2019/2020 which is quite likely barring him from coaching NRL. Stop talking out of your butt.

betcats

Referee
Hook has a job with rugby and as I pointed out, he got a pay out covering 2019/2020 which is quite likely barring him from coaching NRL. Stop talking out of your butt.

We sacked him, he gets a payout without any clauses barring he get another job, you are the one talking out of your ass.

franklin2323

Immortal
Interesting situation in 2019

No more excuses for Ivan Cleary, he’s finally got a roster that he can hit the ground runnings with

But

He also has a 5 year contract.

I still can’t wrap my head around how badly this situation has been handled. If Cleary goes poorly this year the pressure on the club will become immense, heads other the coaches will need to roll.

It is a huge risk. Atleast in the interview in SMH Nathan knows the pressure is on. So no delusion from the players anyway

betcats

Referee
It is a huge risk. Atleast in the interview in SMH Nathan knows the pressure is on. So no delusion from the players anyway

Knowing the pressure is on and handling it are two different things though. Ivan will be ok, I am worried about Nathan though, he has to start doing more or the media will have a field day with him. His dad has a great track record with halves though.

franklin2323

Immortal
Knowing the pressure is on and handling it are two different things though. Ivan will be ok, I am worried about Nathan though, he has to start doing more or the media will have a field day with him. His dad has a great track record with halves though.

Not just him. A few other guys need to lift to match their pay and faith the club has shown

mxlegend99

Referee
I don't buy that Hook isn't allowed to coach in the NRL. Gus is not that sort of person for one.

We sacked him and were legally obligated to pay out his contract to do so. Why would he agree to terms that prevented him from getting another job in the NRL when he didn't need to?

But more importantly, when has Gus tried to end a career in the NRL? Or hold it back? One thing Gus has been consistent with is trying to give everyone involved in the game the best possible careers they can have. Getting Barrett, Brennan and possibly Ciraldo head coach jobs at rival clubs while contracted to us. Helping former players out long after our commitment to them is over. Allowing contracted players to look elsewhere for a payrise and releasing them.

Only clause we would need is he cant contact a contracted player. But if we didnt have one preventing him from talking shit about our club. Why would we have one at all? The players supposedly hated him. What do we have to fear if he got another job?

Be an advantage to us if anything. Sharks get him and Moylan becomes unhappy and a club that loves taking our players suddenly becomes undesirable to them.

betcats

Referee
I don't buy that Hook isn't allowed to coach in the NRL. Gus is not that sort of person for one.

We sacked him and were legally obligated to pay out his contract to do so. Why would he agree to terms that prevented him from getting another job in the NRL when he didn't need to?

But more importantly, when has Gus tried to end a career in the NRL? Or hold it back? One thing Gus has been consistent with is trying to give everyone involved in the game the best possible careers they can have. Getting Barrett, Brennan and possibly Ciraldo head coach jobs at rival clubs while contracted to us. Helping former players out long after our commitment to them is over. Allowing contracted players to look elsewhere for a payrise and releasing them.

Only clause we would need is he cant contact a contracted player. But if we didnt have one preventing him from talking shit about our club. Why would we have one at all? The players supposedly hated him. What do we have to fear if he got another job?

Be an advantage to us if anything. Sharks get him and Moylan becomes unhappy and a club that loves taking our players suddenly becomes undesirable to them.

How could we sack someone with our reasoning being he isn't good enough(basically) and then say 'oh but you cant work against us'. Our image had already taken a beating imagine if it became public knowledge we were preventing him from getting another NRL job. We'd have to pay more than his full contract value to get him to agree to that, why would we do that? it was already costing us a fortune just to sack him. Griffin being to traumatised is more credible.

Jason Taylor got a payout by Wests and was working for the Roosters the next week pretty much.

Last edited:

MrBlack

Juniors
How could we sack someone with our reasoning being he isn't good enough(basically) and then say 'oh but you cant work against us'. Our image had already taken a beating imagine if it became public knowledge we were preventing him from getting another NRL job. We'd have to pay more than his full contract value to get him to agree to that, why would we do that? it was already costing us a fortune just to sack him. Griffin being to traumatised is more credible.

Jason Taylor got a payout by Wests and was working for the Roosters the next week pretty much.

None of us knows what was agreed on when he was sacked.

Normally though (under IR law) - if you part ways with a company they cannot stop you from going to a competitor and doing what your normal job is. You cant be restricted from doing the job you are qualified for. The only way to restrict them is to have them on "Garden Leave". They are legally still being paid, but told to stay away (ie Trent Barret recently at Manly).

betcats

Referee
None of us knows what was agreed on when he was sacked.

Normally though (under IR law) - if you part ways with a company they cannot stop you from going to a competitor and doing what your normal job is. You cant be restricted from doing the job you are qualified for. The only way to restrict them is to have them on "Garden Leave". They are legally still being paid, but told to stay away (ie Trent Barret recently at Manly).

Yeah I know what gardening leave is thanks mate.

We were talking to Cleary before we even sacked Griffin, he was fully entitled to get a payout, for BxTom to say "he got a pay out covering 2019/2020 which is quite likely barring him from coaching NRL" is ridiculous. Why is it likely? What is that based on? His own opinion that Hook is a decent coach and would get re-hired if he was allowe to apply for jobs? There is nothing that makes that statement likely or logical. Its dumb as f**k.

He makes some bullshit claim and then puts it on me to disprove it, and accuses me of "knowing sfa" and "talking our of my ass" lol what a joke.

Latest posts