What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

Zoidberg

First Grade
Glass. Good follow up to Unbreakable and Split, not as good as Unbreakable, little better than Split. Ending was a bit unexplained but I did like it for the most part.
7.5/10

vvvrulz

Coach
Glass 5.5/10 - Ah Shyamalan, when he’s on he’s on, and it’s a crying shame when he misses.

Unbreakable and Split are both wonderful albeit dissimilar pictures; one a tight character-driven grounding of the superhero trope, another a saw-esque horror thriller with a psych twist. Bringing the two universes was a (risky) stroke of genius; sadly M. Night serves up an undercooked mess.

While a little predictable, particularly if you’ve seen the trailer, the first two acts are solid enough particularly due to another inspired performance from James McAvoy. But sadly twisting two very different tales plays more like lost actors wondering onto the wrong set, especially from the Unbreakable team who are sort of just ‘there’.

Neither of the big three are developed further, even after they’re simmering in the same pot. The plot just rumbles along until the disastrously abrupt third act unravels everything without a care. The signature twist is a bore, and ultimately you’re left entertained but empty. While Bruce Willis is criticised for sleeping in, he and Sam Jackson are both severely underplayed with little scope.

A huge missed opportunity from the ideas man who just can’t pull it together often enough.

axl rose

Bench
IO (Netflix) sci-fi snooze fest But still somehow not as bad at The Titan. 2/10

Last edited:
Well, even if I didn’t like Split too much, & I don’t like Glass (haven’t seen it yet), Unbreakable is a film I hold in the absolute highest regard - IMO, debatably the best movie of the century so far.

We’ll always have that, M.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Aquaman

Special effects amazing but the actual story, meh. I feel all these Superhero movies are becoming Interchangeable

Cons: no 'fish stick' jokes
Pros: crabpeople

Eelementary

Post Whore
Aquaman ruled.

It was an origin story - not so much for A-man, but for Ocean Master, and Black Manta.

I loved it.

But Aquaman is my favourite hero,so I'm probably biased.

It probably wasn't as polished as an MCU film, but it was definitely one of DCEU's better efforts.

The story was basically the same as Thor, you just know in the second one the brother is going to come good and help him

I was dragged to Guardians of the Galaxy 2 & Thor: Ragnarok a few months apart & couldn’t believe how closely they followed the same format. It was almost verbatim.

-Action scene/serious monologue, undercut with joke. Rinse, repeat for two hours.-

Obviously, they know their audience, & more of the same sells - which isn’t necessarily a bad thing even for people like myself, who don’t care for these movies. The more money these safe bets rake in, the more room the studio has to breathe, & thus take chances on funding more thoughtful, less mainstream film projects.

PJ

First Grade
Agree with the previous posts.

I'll probably watch IW2, even though it is blindingly obvious how parts will go, but after that I'm likely done with comic book films.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Glass, mcavoy was awesome, not many guys could do that convincingly. Willis just having this “are we done yet?” Look on his face gave it a bland tone. Disappointing final showdown.

vvvrulz

Coach
but after that I'm likely done with comic book films.

There’s just no compelling story telling in these comic book films to make them immortal, they’re far too lazy and content to backfill with entertaining ‘episodes’ rather than individual well-plotted films.

What keeps them afloat is the immense work put into CGI and the fact that so many stellar actors have jumped on the bandwagon. We have vast collections of cool scenes but not the epic movie universe it thinks it is.

I’m also interested in IW2 out of curiosity but am usually in no rush for the rest. Haven’t even bothered with GOTG2, Black Panther or any of the Ant Mans yet.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Few more from the weekend

The mule - Clint Eastwood being Clint Eastwood with Mexicans

Game night- good fun, had me laughing a lot

PJ

First Grade
There’s just no compelling story telling in these comic book films to make them immortal, they’re far too lazy and content to backfill with entertaining ‘episodes’ rather than individual well-plotted films.

What keeps them afloat is the immense work put into CGI and the fact that so many stellar actors have jumped on the bandwagon. We have vast collections of cool scenes but not the epic movie universe it thinks it is.

I’m also interested in IW2 out of curiosity but am usually in no rush for the rest. Haven’t even bothered with GOTG2, Black Panther or any of the Ant Mans yet.

Ant Man and its sequel are pretty good. Not quite as same same as the others. The other 2 you mention you aren't missing anything on.

As for the rest of the post I pretty much agree. Plenty of movies I have seen multiple times will still get me to watch again if I am flicking around randomly and they pop up, but the only comic book film that I may stay on is TDK, Red or KickAss. Don't think I have rewatched any other mainstream comic film nor want to.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Cabin Fever (2016 remake).. An exact scene for scene, script for script remake...

The remake was the shittest thing I’ve ever seen. The chick who played Deputy Winston wasn’t even remotely funny

Shame as the original was a sleeper and grew to have a real cult following

Last edited:

Wizardman

First Grade
I saw "The Mule" last night. As a massive Clint Eastwood fan, I was always going to enjoy it...but it is a good quality story with a pretty damn good performance from Eastwood.

axl rose

Bench
Mortal Engines- mash up of much better films. Visually nice but pretty disappointing and bland story. 5/10

Latest posts