What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Qualifiers

langpark

First Grade
Looking forward to this. I think the pot 3 teams: Spain and Norway/Greece will be looking to avoid the Italy group. If they avoid that group, they will fancy their chances beating Russia.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Looking forward to this. I think the pot 3 teams: Spain and Norway/Greece will be looking to avoid the Italy group. If they avoid that group, they will fancy their chances beating Russia.

Agreed, it is pretty exciting that either way we will see a couple of world cup debutants; Jamaica and Spain/Russia/Norway/Greece. Surely the Greeks could pull together a moderately competitive side from Aussie heratige players.

Do you think there might be one too many Euro nations there though? I think other than the teams already qualified, Ireland, Scotland, Italy, Cook Islands and USA would be the right balance of competitive teams vs spreading the game around th world. I know that combo isn't possible though.

langpark

First Grade
48358180_1149311191896804_424008985461391360_n.png

Pommy

Coach
Agreed, it is pretty exciting that either way we will see a couple of world cup debutants; Jamaica and Spain/Russia/Norway/Greece. Surely the Greeks could pull together a moderately competitive side from Aussie heratige players.

Do you think there might be one too many Euro nations there though? I think other than the teams already qualified, Ireland, Scotland, Italy, Cook Islands and USA would be the right balance of competitive teams vs spreading the game around th world. I know that combo isn't possible though.

Not sure you can claim there’s to many euro nations and then try to add another pacific one.
I’m not against the cooks qualifying but it’s 17k people we shouldn’t be making it easier for them. It’s a similar political entity to the Isle of Man but with only a 5th of the population. Nobody would ever dream of suggesting the Isle of Man should be in a top flight sports comp.
I would love to see the USA in it but with only 4 eligible American nations is it really fair to give them 2 spots outright?
I would be hoping anyone qualifies over Scotland, as they’re not really doing anything to move the sport forwards. They have all the advantages of geography and politics in their favour and still nothing.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Not sure you can claim there’s to many euro nations and then try to add another pacific one.
I’m not against the cooks qualifying but it’s 17k people we shouldn’t be making it easier for them. It’s a similar political entity to the Isle of Man but with only a 5th of the population. Nobody would ever dream of suggesting the Isle of Man should be in a top flight sports comp.
I would love to see the USA in it but with only 4 eligible American nations is it really fair to give them 2 spots outright?
I would be hoping anyone qualifies over Scotland, as they’re not really doing anything to move the sport forwards. They have all the advantages of geography and politics in their favour and still nothing.

I see your point. My desire for the Cooks was based on playing strength, but if we are talking about economies and future potential for growth of the game then the RLIF have probably got it right.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The Scotland, Russia, Greece/Norway is wide open - we could possibly see a shock there, especially if Greece can russle up some heratige players. What's Braith Anasta up to these days? lol

langpark

First Grade
The Scotland, Russia, Greece/Norway is wide open - we could possibly see a shock there, especially if Greece can russle up some heratige players. What's Braith Anasta up to these days? lol
I think he is well and truly retired now. But they do seem to have quite a few playing a NSW and Ron Massey Cup level. They are still limited to 4 though for the Norway match, then after that, it becomes almost unlimited (15 to be exact).

As for the WC allocations, I really think it's perfect at the moment. 1.5 spots for a 4-team confederation is good, and maybe even a little bit generous. Europe has been the boom area for development over the last decade, so I think it's only fitting they got an extra spot.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I think he is well and truly retired now. But they do seem to have quite a few playing a NSW and Ron Massey Cup level. They are still limited to 4 though for the Norway match, then after that, it becomes almost unlimited (15 to be exact).

As for the WC allocations, I really think it's perfect at the moment. 1.5 spots for a 4-team confederation is good, and maybe even a little bit generous. Europe has been the boom area for development over the last decade, so I think it's only fitting they got an extra spot.

I reckon Braith would still make Greece's top squad ;)

Pommy

Coach

Is the change from 4 to 15 when the game changes ownership from RLEF to RLIF?

langpark

First Grade
I reckon Braith would still make Greece's top squad ;)
I agree, without a doubt. I just think he looks settled in his new life now and his media role, and has closed that chapter of his life.
Is the change from 4 to 15 when the game changes ownership from RLEF to RLIF?
I suppose you could say that. But perhaps Greece and Norway are technically still considered Euro Group C nations, where the limit is 4. Group B (which had Russia, Spain, Serbia this year) is 7. Beyond that, is pretty much unlimited (15).

Nuke

Staff member

Russia have been to the RLWC before. The 2000 RLWC in England. From memory they got towelled up by about 100 by Australia.

But yeah, having a couple of debutants / rare WC sightings will be awesome to see.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Russia have been to the RLWC before. The 2000 RLWC in England. From memory they got towelled up by about 100 by Australia.

110-4 vs Australia and 76-4 vs England, lost to Fiji as well I think it was 28-12 or something.

They had quite a lot of local players plus Ian Rubin and some heritage players from the ESL and Queensland Cup.

It'll be good to see them back.

adamkungl

Immortal
I'll be cheering for USA and SA over Cooks
I understand the passion of the fans but the other 2 have far more to offer the sport long term.

And over time, we should expect less Pacific spots in the Cup not more.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Go the cook Islands, beautiful place and people and have a good local comp that is constantly under attack from Union.

Force

Juniors
I'll be cheering for USA and SA over Cooks
I understand the passion of the fans but the other 2 have far more to offer the sport long term.

And over time, we should expect less Pacific spots in the Cup not more.
I thought SA pulled out?.....Im sure its just the US vs Cooks.

PS, where people continuously trip themselves over is thinking a bigger population and economy equates to success in Rugby League but we see time and time again, where the game falls flat in these bigger Nations because of a lack of interest and the game not going beyond park footy standard.