What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Kerr

rasaint

Juniors
I will be cheering on Josh Kerr and the recently (last season) elevated to 1st grade Blake Lawrie.

At this stage I’m yet to see what the hype for Blake Lawrie is about. Last year I saw a courageous and ‘have a go’ guy in Blake. Yet, I didn’t see Blake bend the line, slip a good pass or do anything remarkable. Frankly, I feel a bit uneasy when he takes the field as to whether he really is genuine 1st grade. I remember during our great win over the Broncos in the semi final the commentators calling Blake as almost scoring. I thought ‘that was a good charge, l have been waiting to see it ‘. It was Jeremy Latimore not Blake. I think that charge by Jeremy was just before Tariq’s second try.

I certainly hope Blake hits his straps as a 1grader and goes extra well.

I think Jeremy Latimore gets too much criticism on the forum. When he comes on for his stint, I’m comfortable. I’m thinking this guy is a genuine 1st grader. Not outstanding and yes now 31 but does push over the advantage line and pulls off his tackles.

Don’t write off Jeremy Latimore, Plays well and not big chunk off the cap.

RufusRex

Post Whore
From what I’ve seen of Kerr I don’t understand why Latimore would be chosen ahead of him.
So much potential.
Lawrie was raw but the best thing to happen to him was first grade selection. Give them a taste Mary you flog.

Injury gave us Lawrie and Lomax last season - close to our brightest sparks of last season.

Injury proving to be a better selector than Mary

Belta

Juniors
iz8_2963.jpg

CLUB NEWS

Kerr called into Indigenous All Stars squad
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 1 Feb 2019, 02:20 PM

St George Illawarra Indigenous player representative Josh Kerr has been called into the Indigenous All Stars team as the injury replacement for Titans prop Ryan James.

A proud Ngugi, Noonuckle and Geopul person of the Quandamooka nation of Stradbroke Island, Kerr played a crucial role in establishing the Dragons' Reconciliation Action Plan in 2018.

This will be Kerr's maiden senior first grade appearance at any level.

The Indigenous All Stars will play the Maori All Stars at Melbourne's AAMI Park on Friday, February 15.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/02/01/kerr-called-into-indigenous-all-stars-squad/

Could this be an early spring board for Kerr? He recently reflected on his position at the club and said he doesn’t want to feel as though it’s desperation time, but honestly I hope if he gets a chance he is desperate. I hope he can sense that a chance to play in a publicised game of this magnitude could potentially be a really big opportunity for him to step out of the shadows and announce to Mary that he is ready to be a genuine option for the Dragons first grade team.

red rocket

Juniors
Kerr has the large frame and seems to have the mind to make it to first grade. But talking the talk is not walking the walk and so I will be patiently to wee if he steps up.

One wonders why SGI don't appoint a personal mentor to players like Kerr to help them step up. The idea of a well know first grade prop to come in and to help him progress to the very best he can be
So injury could give us Robson t h

So injury to give us Robson, our next brightest spark.
Injury won't give us Kerr unless he toughens up soft as butter

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Kerr has the large frame and seems to have the mind to make it to first grade. But talking the talk is not walking the walk and so I will be patiently to wee if he steps up.

One wonders why SGI don't appoint a personal mentor to players like Kerr to help them step up. The idea of a well know first grade prop to come in and to help him progress to the very best he can be would be a great idea.
You'd think fat albert could teach him a thing or two

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I hate to say it, but Kerr is in the Indigenous game because there is quite literally no-one else out there.

I like the kid, I want him to succeed and there's no doubt he's a unit, but he hasn't deserved the call up to FG. Lawrie is far better.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
From what I have seen if Kerr is that he really is a marshmellow when running with the ball. He is an enormous man and should be striking fear into any defensive line, at the moment thats not happening.

In saying that, his call up to the indigenous team may have more of a psychological effect on him. Take a line through Havili for example, average type player, but place him in the Tongan team and his whole persona changed. I hope Kerr can do the same, immerse himself into the culture, find out his inner strength that comes from his heritage, and then transfer that onto the footy field. Hopefully, Kerr will come back a weapon for us.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I hate to say it, but Kerr is in the Indigenous game because there is quite literally no-one else out there.

I like the kid, I want him to succeed and there's no doubt he's a unit, but he hasn't deserved the call up to FG. Lawrie is far better.

Kerr’s selection in the All Stars game is reminiscent of Jake Marketo playing for City Origin a couple of years ago.

(Unlike many, I thought Jake M. played well beyond his weight and did a lot of good things that went unnoticed)

The absence of quality reduces this glorified trial as a bit of fluff.

DragonJ

Juniors
Kerr’s selection in the All Stars game is reminiscent of Jake Marketo playing for City Origin a couple of years ago.

(Unlike many, I thought Jake M. played well beyond his weight and did a lot of good things that went unnoticed)

The absence of quality reduces this glorified trial as a bit of fluff.
If Jake were in bigger body he would have been a superstar.

BLM01

First Grade
Josh Kerr reacts to Indigenous All Stars call-up
St George Illawarra Indigenous player representative Josh Kerr has been called into the Indigenous All Stars team as the injury replacement for Titans prop Ryan James.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/02/05/josh-kerr-reacts-to-indigenous-all-stars-call-up/
Be patient Josh. Under Mary even if you do step up this year it takes Mary a while to notice you so hang in there and rip in. I hope you do, step up in te trials and for ISP and get a NRL gig with us and stay beyond 2019. Just believe...it takes time for a prop to hit his straps.
Appears and soundls like a good humble kid showing a bit of passion. I hope now it transfers on field and he starts to realise the potential he has been earmarked for.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Be patient Josh. Under Mary even if you do step up this year it takes Mary a while to notice you so hang in there and rip in. I hope you do, step up in te trials and for ISP and get a NRL gig with us and stay beyond 2019. Just believe...it takes time for a prop to hit his straps.
Appears and soundls like a good humble kid showing a bit of passion. I hope now it transfers on field and he starts to realise the potential he has been earmarked for.

Spot on BLMO1- I've been hoping he makes the step up to NRL for years as he's one of the few tall, physically imposing props we had-and to date he's stayed out of trouble unlike so many other indigenous or islander props before him. Now I've heard him speak about his pride in being selected for his people, I'm even more hopeful that he will succeed. Sounds like a thoroughly decent, humble kid we should be cultivating. Let's all remember that props take a while to mature- Leeson Ah Mau only really started to become destructive and bend the line in attack in the last few years - pretty ordinary for a long time before that.

Latest posts