What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corey Norman??

Belta

Juniors
Agree.re Dufty's position..but genetically suited is not enough to guarantee you a 1st grade spot either.

Take Dufty playing wing out of the conversation cause it wont and should not happen and he may go to ISP if fullback is his only spot..thats life.
This is not about the wing so much. It is about wishing for unproven reserve grade people to hopefully step up and push someone back to ISP who may of fact improved over the off season and for the large portion of last year was 1st grade standard.
And I include Periera in the conversation for his part he played..what has he done wrong.

I dont get the throw the 2 imports in the 17 because we perceive they have got blistering 1st grade speed. Have they really against...tried and proven 1st graders?. What else do they have?

Possm..says size and speed.
Well I wait with baited breath to say how or this unfolds this year
Of course I am a Dufty fan but also a realist and if Widdop is a better fullback.for 2019....Ok ISP if that is where he wants to play cause you cant have 2...but still I think Mary will start with Lomax & Periera on the wings, Aitken & Laf in the centres if Widdop 1.
Not my preferred option but as I have said before they have painted themselves into a corner with recruitment re the flanks. If all these reserve graders (i.e. Rav, Jonus, Maranta & Charly) dont work out which is a big possibility to 1st grade standard he will have to go that way. Boy we beter hope for someone to step up..If injury strikes out in the backs we are stooffed.

In relation to Dufty, what I was implying with the genetically suited comment, was that it’s like a culling process, with the minimum standard being having a body size/strength to do the hard carries, and than you cull further from there ie speed, skill etc.

I agree with you re Pierra, if his off-season is good, he should start on one wing. Lomax should start as centre. Form will then decide who is picked on a week to week basis.

Im changing a little, I’m leaning towards the notion that our wingers won’t be as big an issue. At first I was concerned at losing two experienced wingers but I think there is some real good wingers amongst that remaining group who may even oust Pierra by seasons end. I M O It’s the control and combinations of the play makers, the spine and the centres that will ultimately win or lose us games. I think getting those combinations right will be the bigger influence.

Carlton

Juniors
In relation to Dufty, what I was implying with the genetically suited comment, was that it’s like a culling process, with the minimum standard being having a body size/strength to do the hard carries, and than you cull further from there ie speed, skill etc.

I agree with you re Pierra, if his off-season is good, he should start on one wing. Lomax should start as centre. Form will then decide who is picked on a week to week basis.

Im changing a little, I’m leaning towards the notion that our wingers won’t be as big an issue. At first I was concerned at losing two experienced wingers but I think there is some real good wingers amongst that remaining group who may even oust Pierra by seasons end. I M O It’s the control and combinations of the play makers, the spine and the centres that will ultimately win or lose us games. I think getting those combinations right will be the bigger influence.

I couldn't agree more Belta, the genetics are the initial point of selection, then we move through speed, physicality etc until we then look for the most skilled of the players left. Also, plenty of players come into first grade on the wing with little experience and make a fist of it. Look at Cotrick, Vunivalu, Addo-Carr, Isaako, Oates etc etc. Pearson and Ravalawa may not make it but they are not unexperienced (I used this term purposely as opposed to inexperienced) they have size, they have speed and they are physical. They would be playing in a position that relies on the players inside doing the creative work.

SBD82

Coach
Currently Tigers are playing Corey Thompson at the back, a winger at best

Titans have Michael Gordon who will retire, and have indicated AJ Brimson is a half, leaving a back spot to fill soon

Eels lost two of their best fullback options in one go, leaving Bevan French, who is just a worse Dufty. Eels are probably the most likely of the lot.

Duffy might not have locked down 1 at our club, nor would be walk up to most clubs, but it's really stretching the narrative to deny he might attract interest.

Hell if Connor Watson fails at fullback, add Knights to the list. They want Ponga at 5, and beyond Watson, their fb depth is Nathan Ross
Tigers have Moses Mbye, who showed pretty good form at fullback last year.

Agree re: Eels, although I'd say that he would best fit at Canberra with Ricky looking to move Wighton to 6 and his apparent reluctance to play BYW at fullback.

Titans would be interesting too. I can't see them throwing so much money at Peachey to play him in the centres or at 14. So I'd say if he's not playing 6 he'd be at 1 (not where I'd play him, just what I think is most likely)

Drag Queen

Bench
Out of that list only the Bulldogs may be interested if they don't plan on playing Hoppa at the back - if they do then there is no sport for Dufty.
Dogs picked up Nick Meaney this season. I expect they'll be giving this kid a red hot go in the No.1 spot.

DragonJ

Juniors
You'll notice that all my posts are written in blue text. I don't know where Belta got that quote from but I'm certain it was not from me.

I have always be on about Pearson and Ravalawa being included in the 17 as our wingers. I have also made the casy why Dufty should not be selected as a winger in first grade.
I will never doubt you again :)

DragonJ

Juniors
Currently Tigers are playing Corey Thompson at the back, a winger at best

Titans have Michael Gordon who will retire, and have indicated AJ Brimson is a half, leaving a back spot to fill soon

Eels lost two of their best fullback options in one go, leaving Bevan French, who is just a worse Dufty. Eels are probably the most likely of the lot.

Duffy might not have locked down 1 at our club, nor would be walk up to most clubs, but it's really stretching the narrative to deny he might attract interest.

Hell if Connor Watson fails at fullback, add Knights to the list. They want Ponga at 5, and beyond Watson, their fb depth is Nathan Ross
It would all depend on what the coach wanted from a fullback. I think @Eastview is right. Even if the guy can score sensational tries, coaches don't want a fullback who gets manhandled on a regular basis by the opposition defence.

Blood&Bandage

Juniors
Just my take on Dufty.
His suspectability under the high ball became a factor during the 2nd half of the season, when game fatigue kicked in. So, he needs to work on his fitness and body strength, I dont think 1st grade is the place for that.
As for bringing the ball back, agree here thaf he needs to attack the line rather than surrender too easily. Again that comes with body strength and mental approach. Again not a 1st grade training ground to do this.
Being ragdolled is not uncommon for a fullback, even Tedesco was ragdilled during last season, however, Dufty, because he surrenders so meekly, is more susceptable. And again 1st grade is not a place to develop a strategy against it.
I think Dufty has the makings of a very good fullback, and I would be suprised if he didnt play some games in 1st this year, however, this to me, is a year for him to hone his skills in readiness for a long career. Failure to accept his deficiencies and not develop his game, im afraid will see him slip from all chance of stardom.
Well said Dragonslayer
I honestly like Dufty as a Dragons junior very much. I was calling for his inclusion in first grade in the last months of Dugan's term with us and preferred him over Nightingale at the time.

But loyalty is not a sound criteria for selection in first grade - we have seen that unfold with the Aitken experiment. My idea of loyalty would be to assist players be the best they can - hopefully first grade standard - while in the junior ranks and at ISP level. The coach needs to be able to sit Dufty down, go through videos with him and explain that he needs to work on certain parts of his game in order to have good all round first grade skills.

Dufty is an exciting speedster and his inclusion in first grade would only be a plus if he upped his skills in defence and gained the confidence to put his body on the line when taking the high ball and bringing the ball back from within our red zone.

So it is for Dufty to decide, does he want to do the work in ISP and thus become the best fullback he can be or does he want to lock heads with the Club and so eventually move on?

Pearson and Ravalawa are taller and much heavier than Dufty without being that much slower. They are an example of being the modern day winger.

At the end of 2018, the Club let go Macdonald and lost Nightingale through retirement. Dragon's recruitment purchased a number of outside backs including the two players mentioned above. At the time these two players were spoken highly of by Millward while others were spoken of as depth players. In my opinion the above two wingers were recruited to play in first grade - of course on the proviso that they showed skills of a first grade standard.

We also have Pereira in the mix and to a lessor extent Maranta. So a good healthy competition for the wing spots. My preference just happens to be Pearson and Ravalawa because of size and speed.

With regards to Dufty as a winger, the same problems he faced at fullback would be there and even more apparent. He would have to take the high ball and not be rag-dolled into touch or back behind the try line. He would have to be able to tackle some big wingers one on one. On the plus side, his elusiveness and speed would be a plus out wide, it would only be size and confidence that would let him down.
Good post Pos. I agree with so many of your opinions. The one thing I HATE now is the blocking of attacking players on a kick. That said... it kind of takes some of heat/pressure off Dufty.
I’ll never forget the courageous Glen Burgess getting his legs removed time and again going for a bomb diffusion. I think the rules were changed after the 1985 grand final to stop this.
Don’t get me started on the touch judge putting up his flag for Dennis Kinchela down the side line!!!!!!
Anyway....a genuine footballer will ALWAYS SHINE THROUGH regardless of size or colour or .....

Blood&Bandage

Juniors
The quiet good deeds of maligned Dragons recruit Corey Norman
WRITTEN BYTROY WHITTAKER
View attachment 26734

Corey Norman stood in the streets of Sydney's Martin Place on Tuesday night and cheerfully handed out clothing to the homeless.

The maligned NRL talent wasn't looking for publicity or social media plaudits. Nor was he told to be there by his club

Norman simply wanted to help.

The St George Illawarra recruit has been quietly assisting the Pass It On Clothing & Cocharity since midway through last year.

Norman's apparel business YKTR, which he co-owns with former Cronulla hooker James Segeyaro and retired player Isaac John, is one of many brands that provides garments for those in need.

Pass It On hosts three giveaway events a week - one each in Parramatta, Martin Place and Gosford - where between 700 and 900 items are gifted.

Former NSW and Australian representative Michael Buettner runs the Gosford session.

Norman is present at least once a month at either the Sydney CBD or Parramatta.

Segeyaro and leading referee Matt Cecchin also regularly lend a hand, while ex-NRL players Cameron King and Jackson Hastings have contributed in the past.

It's a humbling experience for the rugby league identities, says Chris Vagg, a former NRL employee who co-founded Pass It On in 2016.

"When you go into that space, it changes your dynamic," Vagg tells Sporting News Australia.

"It's a great tool for mentoring, especially with guys who may have had some troubles early in their careers.

"It really reinforces how lucky they are to be doing what they're doing."

View image on Twitter

Andrew Jackson@Andrew_Jacko

Corey Norman out at Martin Place handing out YKTR merch to those doing it tough on the streets and hanging around to chat - the things he and many other #NRL players do that many never see.

9:00 AM - Jan 29, 2019

67 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Norman has been guilty of minor behavioural slip-ups in recent times, including a self-filmed video that leaked earlier this month showing him encouraging an older man to snort a white powder.

But Vagg only has praise for Norman and says he is void of any ego or aloofness when working with the homeless.

"I think it gives him a bit of a kick and perspective. Speaking to people, seeing how they're going and building relationships," says Vagg.

"I can't fault him in anything he's done for us. He's always given back.

"At our Christmas party we had some images that were for sale - he put skin in the game and bought one of them really happily."

Chris Vagg@vaggchris

Roy repping his new YKTR kit proud as punch in MP tonight!

He’s a @NRL_Dragons tragic too, many thanks to the boys @Normz35 + @kryofix for bringing the vibe.

It’s amazing how much impact a simple gesture can have...#givingisthenewblack @NRL @NRLCommunity @FootySmiles

10:54 AM - Jan 29, 2019

See Chris Vagg's other Tweets

Twitter Ads info and privacy

It's not as easy as just turning up, chatting for a few minutes and then going home at these events for Norman, either.

He is involved in setting up and packing away the clothing racks as well as engaging with all comers and distributing the kit.

The 27-year-old has received some brutal home truths during his charity work, too, having copped a reality check over the leaked video drama.

"[The homeless] don't miss you [in their comments] - there's no airs and graces there," says Vagg.

"Obviously the video that was leaked a couple of weeks ago, one of the boys out at the Parramatta service was just dressing him down saying 'don't be silly, don't you be doing that.'

"These people have nothing, so there are no prejudices. If they want to say something, they say it."

Vagg has watched Norman develop since meeting him eight months ago.

In prime physical shape, Norman now carries a calmness in his aura and appears settled with his life away from footy.

For those reasons, Vagg is tipping the enigmatic five-eighth to enjoy a massive maiden season at the Dragons.

"Mate, he looks in good nick. He looks in really good nick," he says of the former Eels playmaker.

"He seems to have an air of confidence, and I don't mean that in an arrogant way, I mean in a composed way.

"He has that air of a guy that's got his ducks in a row off the field.

"That will project onto the field, I would suggest. I think he'll have a really good year."
I can’t like more than once.
My prediction (and I’m not one for doing this....but)
This years Daly M
and a St George Illawarra favourite (great).

avocado

Juniors
Has anyone ever seen M. DUFTY doing this sort of work? No, he just an entitled little prick
Lots of players do charity/community work. Most are happy to do it anonymously.
Perhaps M. DUFTY makes a point of helping old ladies across the street.

avocado

Juniors
So M. DUFTY has never helped a little old lady cross the street? That is indeed disappointing eastview.

Happy to have Norman at the club but to put him on some sort of moral pedestal is going a bit far.

TruSaint

Referee
Has anyone ever seen M. DUFTY doing this sort of work? No, he just an entitled little prick

@Eastview , mate I am not sold on Dufty as well, in terms of playing squad

However, Im pretty confident that players at all NRL clubs are obligated to attend community events, charities, local hospitals, etc. Norman doing so on his own accord is great, but not uncommon.

I hope that Norman ends up a success on and OFF the field. For his sake and that of the clubs.

Last edited: