What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corey Norman??

Changa

Juniors
I can tell you for a fact he doesn't... The kid needs a reality check

Got 2 younger cousins both under age of 8, who proudly boast how Dufty turned up to their Penshurst mini league EOY presentation, signed merch and took photos with them and their team mates. All off his own bat..

Whilst he doesn't run a clothing business to be able to giveaway to the homeless like Norman, a good deed is a good deed and has at least, made saints supporters for life out of my young cousins.

Calling him an 'entitled little prick' without providing examples of why smells to me like you have an ulterior motive.

TruSaint

Referee
Got 2 younger cousins both under age of 8, who proudly boast how Dufty turned up to their Penshurst mini league EOY presentation, signed merch and took photos with them and their team mates. All off his own bat..

Whilst he doesn't run a clothing business to be able to giveaway to the homeless like Norman, a good deed is a good deed and has at least, made saints supporters for life out of my young cousins.

Calling him an 'entitled little prick' without providing examples of why smells to me like you have an ulterior motive.

Good to hear.

BLM01

First Grade

Well said and thanks for providing just some of the examples..I was about to bite...but realised it is a troll who knows all about him and his dad from the world of social media, so I bit my own tongue. The kid loves the Dragons and the green and gold of Penshurst RSL..but sorry The Hawks or Scots for me!.

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL 2019: New recruit Norman out to repay Dragons faith
Local Sport
r0_0_6500_4333_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

NEW DIGS: Corey Norman is embracing a fresh start with the Dragons in 2019. Picture: NRL Photos
THE concept of double-jeopardy is a well-known legal principle – you can’t be tried for the same crime twice. In rugby league, particularly in the social media age, that principle doesn’t always apply.

It’s something Dragons recruit Corey Norman is well aware of after an unflattering video, that was first circulated in 2016, resurfaced just a week into his stint with his new club.

The NRL Integrity Unit confirmed it had considered, and dealt with, the matter when it arose three years ago and wouldn’t be sanctioning the 28-year-old a second time.

Still, Norman admits it wasn’t a good look.

“I really felt more sorry for Mary [coach Paul McGregor], the boys and the fans,” he said.

“It was a new start and I didn’t want to bring that drama here. Unfortunately it came here and I made sure I took the right steps straight away.

“I let Mary and the club know straight away so we could all move on from it. I dealt with three years ago so I had the full support of the club an that was big relief.”

It came as the Dylan Napa sex-tape scandal brought more negative headlines to the game in an off-season described as a “train wreck” by ARLC chairman Peter Beattie.

It was also an unwelcome reminder of Norman’s party-boy reputation that saw many view his recruitment as a gamble on the Dragons behalf.

He hasn’t found any trouble in the three years since that turbulent 2016 season, but he accepts the fact the video’s re-emergence has jogged some memories.

“It’s disappointing to see it all brought back up again,” he said.

“Everyone makes mistakes it’s abut how you learn from them and I’ve definitely learned from them and moved on.

“I’ve grown up and matured, all the things that come with age. It was annoying more than anything that it resurfaced but it is what it is.”

Whatever your thoughts, it’s impossible to deny the prodigious talent that makes him as lethal a playmaker as any when switched on.

It’s what made the Dragons so keen on his signature in the wake of Gareth Widdop’s shock decision to depart for the English Super League in 2020.

Norman was in his own state of limbo after being deemed surplus to requirements by Parramatta just a year after spearheading their charge to a top four finish in 2017.

It was a steep fall for the Eels in 2018 but Norman, who still had a year left to run on his contract, insists he wasn’t left bitter by his departure.

“It’s been no secret that I wasn’t in Parra’s plans moving forward and that’s football,” he said.

“I’ve had some good times at Parra and grown so close to the boys there and the coaching staff. It was a bit of a weird situation but it was one of those things, when it comes from the top, things change.

“I wasn’t bitter or anything like that, I just wanted to move forward and get on with it really. The Dragons sort of popped up out of nowhere and it was a bit of a no-brainer.

“Speaking to Mary he’s been pretty keen to get me down here for a while now and it’s pleasing to have a coach that keen to have you.

“I spoke to Hunty [Ben Hunt] and Mary spoke to Gaz [Widdop] and they were pretty keen to have me on board as well. It’s such a quality side here so it worked out really well.”

His arrival in Wollongong was just another example of how fast the NRL recruitment merry-go-round can spin, but it could hardly have worked out better for Norman or the club.

With Widdop still on board, and Ben Hunt coming into his second year, McGregor will have three elite playmakers at his disposal in 2019.

For Norman, who’s had multiple halves partners in his five years with the Eels, it's a chance to go back to his strengths, whether it’s in the No. 6 or at fullback.

“We’ve been changing [positions] around a lot and that’s the beauty of having trials, no doubt we’ll be changing around there,” he said.

“I’ve said before my preference is to play five-eighth but I’ve played a lot of fullback as well. The biggest thing for us will be getting that balance right.

“Benny [Hunt] complements my game really well, he brings my running game out. I’ve probably lacked that the last few years so I’m looking forward to getting that back.

“When you come into a quality side your role becomes really easy, so I’m just looking forward to really simplifying my role and playing the best footy I can play.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...uit-norman-out-to-repay-dragons-faith/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
190131-dragons-026-hr2.jpg

DRAGONS

Backing of senior Dragons clinched Norman move
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 8 Feb 2019, 04:01 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Corey Norman wanted to ensure his new teammates were comfortable with him joining the club before finalising a move from Parramatta, so it was frustrating he had to apologise for the fallout from a leaked video in his first week of training with the Dragons.

The St George Illawarra club is known to perform extensive due diligence before signing players, with club stalwart Craig Young – an ex-detective – in charge of integrity, so officials were aware of the video’s existence and Norman had already been punished by the NRL three years ago.

After serving an eight-match ban and being hit with a $20,000 fine in 2016, Norman has steered clear of off-field trouble and was seeking a fresh start with the Dragons after a horror 2018 season with the Eels, in which they finished last and it was made clear he had no future at the club.

“I didn’t want to bring that drama here,” Norman said.

“That was three years ago, my punishment was eight games and a fine so it has been dealt with and I have moved on. For it to pop up like that, I just felt sorry for the boys, the coaching staff and the fans.

Why Norman sought approval from Dragons stars

“I rang the club straight away, I gave Mary [coach Paul McGregor] and the team management a heads-up and I gave the boys a heads-up as well. I guess that’s the world we live in these days, as we can see now. As players, we have just got to be careful.”

The release of the video in mid-January meant it wasn’t until Norman’s fourth week of training at WIN Stadium before the star playmaker was introduced to the media as a St George Illawarra player.

In between, he has been focused on building relationships with a new group of players, trying to determine where he will fit into one of the strongest spines in the Telstra Premiership and regaining the form that him in consideration for Queensland Origin selection in 2017.

Backing from Hunt and Widdop
Norman had played alongside Ben Hunt in Brisbane’s 2009 under 20s team and at NRL level before his departure for Parramatta in 2014, but besides the halfback he knew only a handful of Dragons players.

However, the 28-year-old was aware St George Illawarra had developed into a tight-knit group under McGregor so he felt it was crucial to gain the endorsement of Hunt and captain Gareth Widdop before quitting the final year of his contract with the Eels.

“I didn’t want to come down here and step on anyone’s toes or make people uncomfortable,” Norman said. “Getting the OK from the boys made it easier. That’s just what I felt was right.

“When I got the approval of Benny that he’d be keen and I spoke to Mary, and he spoke to Gaz and Gaz was keen to get me down here as well, that was a relief and sped up the process a bit.

“They’re a good bunch of blokes down here and they are pretty tight, I noticed that straight away. I am just trying to find my role in the team.”

Dragons welcome Corey Norman

Five-eighth or fullback?
Hunt and Widdop were one of the leading halves pairings in the NRL last season, McGregor rates Cameron McInnes as the game’s No.1 hooker and fullback Matt Dufty was a revelation in his first full season of first grade but there will be a reshuffle to accommodate Norman.

McGregor asked him about playing fullback before he signed but he has also spoken to Widdop about making a positional switch from five-eighth in a move that suggests Dufty could find himself on the bench or in the Intrust Super Premiership.

Hunt can also play hooker if McInnes is unavailable or needs a spell.

“I asked where I was going to play and told them that my preferred position would be five-eighth, and they said would you be open to playing fullback as well,” Norman said.

“I said whatever is good for the team and I think they spoke to Gareth and he was the same - he’d prefer to play five-eighth but is open to playing fullback as well so we will just see what happens. You will probably see me and Gaz at the back at some stage.

“We’ve all been swapping around at training and there is just so much depth there. I think that is the exciting thing, with the depth and the variation of how we can move everyone around.

“We have got to be on our game every week because the talent here is very good so we are all playing for spots.”

Expectations of fans
Norman’s three-year deal ensures that St George Illawarra already have a long-term replacement for Widdop, who is returning home to England to play for Warrington in 2020.

However, as Hunt found in his first season with the club last year, Dragons fans can be demanding and the club’s playmakers are under constant pressure and scrutiny.

“It’s a bit harsher down in Sydney compared to up in Brisbane,” Norman said. “I thought it was a bit unnecessary and Benny copped a bit of flak when he shouldn’t have but he has dealt with that and it is a new season so no doubt he will have a cracker this year.

“I have played with Benny at the Broncos in under 20s and first grade. We played plenty of good games together when Locky [Darren Lockyer] and Wal [Peter Wallace] were out. I think we just complement each other’s games a lot.

“I can help him out organising and he will start running, and he will do the same for me. I think Benny really helps my running game so that will be good. You have got Gaz there as well and he is a world class player so we are trying to get that balance.

“I’m coming into a quality side so I don’t have to do anything spectacular or anything like that. I have just got to do my role and do it well within the team. When you have got a quality side like this your role simplifies within the team and that makes it a lot easier.”

What went wrong at Parramatta
Norman no longer wants to dwell on how things turned so bad for him and the Eels team last season as he has now moved on.

However, Norman admits he had been on the outer since early last season and the constant struggle to win a game took its toll.

“It definitely wasn’t a season that was up to scratch for me or the Parramatta Eels as well, so I definitely want to come out and have a lot better year than I did last year.

“Only winning four games last year was pretty bad and I think you don’t realise how tough it is mentally until you step away. Looking back, it was really draining and one of the toughest seasons I have had.

“As a player, I am still stumped. Sometimes you can try too hard and it gets even worse. That was probably the case with a lot of us but that is behind me now.

“From early in the season it was no secret that I wasn’t in their plans after this year. I am glad we could all get it sorted out so Brad and the boys can get on with their season, and I am down here gelling with a new team so it worked out well.”

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/02/08/backing-of-senior-dragons-clinched-norman-move/

Dragsters

First Grade
Oh shit. That doesn't sound good.

Is it too hopeful to think it could be for his charity work?

I actually missed it.

I think it was just about how he handled that old video resurfacing and how he wants to move on etc.

Did anyone see it???

Latest posts