What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League and TV

Stallion

First Grade
Having a cash strapped governing body is pretty high on the list of barriers I would imagine.
Not having 9a on FTA in Australia would be pretty low.

? Mmmmm. Something wrong there. With the myriad of FTA channels available these days in Australia? Not seeing FTA coverage for an international rugby league event (deemed to be in place of a Lions v Kangaroos test ) in Sydney, as a low priority? We differ! Let's just leave it that!

Pommy

Coach
? Mmmmm. Something wrong there. With the myriad of FTA channels available these days in Australia? Not seeing FTA coverage for an international rugby league event (deemed to be in place of a Lions v Kangaroos test ) in Sydney, as a low priority? We differ! Let's just leave it that!

Low priority in terms of growing the game. It’s not like Australians haven’t seen rugby league before and are suddenly going to change on the basis of a watered down version being played on FTA, get real.
RLIF need cash to invest abroad, that’s what Foxtel are giving then. Hopefully after all the fees for holding the event are paid there will be some left over. It’s not for the RLIF to grow the sport in its biggest market.

Stallion

First Grade
Low priority in terms of growing the game. It’s not like Australians haven’t seen rugby league before and are suddenly going to change on the basis of a watered down version being played on FTA, get real.
RLIF need cash to invest abroad, that’s what Foxtel are giving then. Hopefully after all the fees for holding the event are paid there will be some left over. It’s not for the RLIF to grow the sport in its biggest market.

Both pay tv and FTA coverage should have happened for this international rugby league event. Simple as that. But not simple for some!

Pommy

Coach
Both pay tv and FTA coverage should have happened for this international rugby league event. Simple as that. But not simple for some!

The RLIF should use the event to make the most money to fund their operations, simple as that!!!!?!?!!?!?

Stallion

First Grade
Who is to blame for it not happening and what would you have done different to ensure it was put on FTA?

Probably people within the rugbyleague marketing department? The negotiators more than likely along with respective advice or lack of.

Stallion

First Grade
The RLIF should use the event to make the most money to fund their operations, simple as that!!!!?!?!!?!?

Don't think that's happening! Would have thought FTA coverage along with pay tv would have sourced much more advertising dollars? You seem to think not others do!

Pommy

Coach
Don't think that's happening! Would have thought FTA coverage along with pay tv would have sourced much more advertising dollars? You seem to think not others do!

You should try getting a top job at 9 or 10 as they clearly don’t have your business knowledge.

Stallion

First Grade
You should try getting a top job at 9 or 10 as they clearly don’t have your business knowledge.

Perhaps? Perhaps not? One thing for sure is that the confidence commensurate with how good the code of rugby league is, is not reflected in your regard of it as a product on tv. Others have more faith and confidence!

Pommy

Coach
Perhaps? Perhaps not? One thing for sure is that the confidence commensurate with how good the code of rugby league is, is not reflected in your regard of it as a product on tv. Others have more faith and confidence!

Are you religious? You keep talk bout faith perhaps this is where we differ, I just look at facts. FTA didn’t see a profit to be had

Stallion

First Grade
Are you religious? You keep talk bout faith perhaps this is where we differ, I just look at facts. FTA didn’t see a profit to be had

It's called confidence in the game! Surely the highest rating tv football product in Australia can manage some FTA coverage on a subsidiary channel? Remembering games that were allocated to a 'minor' channel easily out rated mainstream shows at the same time during the rugby league world cup of 2017. Mistakes are made and this (the non FTA coverage of the 2019 World nines) is another mistake!

Pommy

Coach
It's called confidence in the game! Surely the highest rating tv football product in Australia can manage some FTA coverage on a subsidiary channel? Remembering games that were allocated to a 'minor' channel easily out rated mainstream shows at the same time during the rugby league world cup of 2017. Mistakes are made and this (the non FTA coverage of the 2019 World nines) is another mistake!

No getting less money from TV broadcasters would be a mistake!!!?!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Would you accept $0 for it to be on FTA? Would you also accept that if that happened you would have no right to whinge about the lack of international development because the RLIF is broke?

Stallion

First Grade
No getting less money from TV broadcasters would be a mistake!!!?!

We disagree as you are twisting a point! My comment is that the rugby league marketing people have not placed enough emphasis or targeting for an appropriate amount of tv coverage for such a 'prestigious' tournament. It's an international event in a heartland nation. It deserves at least simulcast coverage. Some people don't think the code is deserving or being worth this? Others do. A mistake by the people organising telecasting of this event has been made in my opinion. You don't think the event is worth such exposure? Others do! We differ.

Stallion

First Grade
Would you accept $0 for it to be on FTA? Would you also accept that if that happened you would have no right to whinge about the lack of international development because the RLIF is broke?

Ok. Then a Kangaroos v LIONS test should have been in place! Don't think you have accepted that these people in marketing or strategic development are capable of making mistakes! ? Others do!
PS: I'm still waiting on an apology and no doubt others you have slighted as not being real are as well!

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Ok. Then a Kangaroos v LIONS test should have been in place! Don't think you have accepted that these people in marketing or strategic development are capable of making mistakes! ? Others do!
PS: I'm still waiting on an apology and no doubt others you have slighted as not being real are as well!

If the Lions v Kangaroos fixture was being played in Australia (which we agree it should be getting played) it would certainly be on FTA which is the right call for such a premium fixture so we have no argument there.

I won't be apologising so don't bother waiting for it.

Stallion

First Grade
If the Lions v Kangaroos fixture was being played in Australia (which we agree it should be getting played) it would certainly be on FTA which is the right call for such a premium fixture so we have no argument there.

You make sense without a genuine emphasis. But you have insulted not only myself but others by creating a thread that was completely wrong and false in claiming a deceptive use of aliases! You should be apologizing!

Pommy

Coach

It is also exactly the reason it’s not being played. The discussion on here has been that home kangaroo tv rights were included in the TV deal. So there’s no extra money and no incentive to play the game and why they had to play Tonga in NZ last year.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
You make sense without a genuine emphasis. But you have insulted not only myself but others by creating a thread that was completely wrong and false in claiming a deceptive use of aliases! You should be apologizing!
Stallion, please stick to the topic at hand and avoid the sidetrack issues like alias claims.

Latest posts