What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Discussion

Could switching sides help Penrith playmaker James Maloney’s defensive woes?
DailyTelegraph

February 01, 2019

James Maloney has developed the unwanted reputation of being the NRL’s king of missed tackles. Could a defensive tweak from Ivan Cleary change all that?

Understanding that for as long as the Fox Sports Lab has kept tabs on such things, Maloney has defended — and at 83kg, been extensively targeted — on the left.

But not Thursday.
No, on Thursday morning at Panthers HQ, as Penrith churned through an opposed session that was physical, intense and serious enough to not only be officiated by NRL referee Ashley Klein, but watched over by GM Phil Gould, Maloney spent all game defending on the right.

Barking, pointing, tackling, the lot.

And all while, hovering like a shadow on his inside shoulder, was that fella more reliable than even a country boy’s handshake — backrower Isaah Yeo.

Which makes sense, right?
Remembering back in the day, even Queensland icon Darren Lockyer had Tonie Carroll riding shotgun for him.

Just as more recently, Johnathan Thurston employed Gavin Cooper.

So why not a bodyguard now for Maloney, too?

Certainly a little support wouldn’t hurt the gritty NSW playmaker who, despite continued debate about his defensive game — a chatter which exploded prior to last year’s Origin series — has still put himself up among the greatest winners of the modern era.

Not only securing two premierships, Kangaroo caps, even an Origin shield, but boasting the type of toughness that is fronting every postgame interview with bark off your melon.

So what chance this new switch is permanent?

Defending last year on the Panthers left edge, and alongside relative NRL newbie Viliame Kikau, Maloney missed 131 tackles.

Or put another way, more than any other player.

It was the same a year earlier.
And before that, in 2015.

All up, a run that would’ve hit four straight years had Ben Hunt missed just four fewer tackles in 2016, when he pushed Jimmy back to second.

Yet now, it seems, incoming coach Ivan Cleary is ready to switch things up.

And if Thursday morning is any guide, set to sit Maloney outside a backrower who, in Yeo, tackles often and effectively — last winter, among the competition’s Top 10 defenders with 500 tackles or more.

All of which you reckon Gould knew as he watched proceedings from, wonderfully, a golf cart positioned by the sideline.

And as for what else he saw?
Well, while The Daily Telegraph was positioned slightly further away, we can tell you Wayde Egan was given first go at No. 9 — ahead of Sione Katoa — while forward Hame Sele, who spent most of last year in reserves at St George Illawarra, was surprisingly used as Cleary’s first interchange.

Elsewhere, halfback Nathan Cleary also excelled in his toughest hit out since returning from major ankle surgery — involved several times defensively despite wearing a contact bib — while prop Reagan Campbell-Gillard was also back to full contact after breaking his jaw.

Afterwards, the new company of Cleary & Son also spent some 10 minutes talking through the previous 80 minutes.

One which saw the NSW No. 7 defend exclusively on the left.
https://outline.com/K5sPVB

franklin2323

Immortal
If Maloney can find his 2016 form we are a small chance this year but we really need to hide him better in defense. He also has to hold his place in the line, he'll miss tackles but all halves do

Story in the paper today about him defending on the right so Ivan at least knows something has to be done

Given Nathan is average at creating tries ATM. On the left he can just give the ball to Blake or Kikau and they will do the rest.

Even after Hook went someone still didn't do it. Looks a simple fix to me

Fangs

Coach
And as for what else he saw?
Well, while The Daily Telegraph was positioned slightly further away, we can tell you Wayde Egan was given first go at No. 9 — ahead of Sione Katoa — while forward Hame Sele, who spent most of last year in reserves at St George Illawarra, was surprisingly used as Cleary’s first interchange.

They like this Egan bloke don't they. Hook now Cleary.

mxlegend99

Referee
They like this Egan bloke don't they. Hook now Cleary.
Egan was a gun in 2017. Had a very rough 2018.

I was so pumped for him and lost faith in 2018. I truly hope he kicks on in 2019 and hasnt just been the better of 2 shit choices.

Wallace was a huge loss in 2018 despite not being near his prime. We need someone stepping up.

The Realist

Juniors
I know many of you are happy about Egan getting 1st shot at the #9 but I am not. Katoa is a phenomenal talent that just needed an entire preseason and a few adjustments in his game to turn that into consistent results. There are games last season that were won on the back of his creative genius.

franklin2323

Immortal

I was so pumped for him and lost faith in 2018. I truly hope he kicks on in 2019 and hasnt just been the better of 2 shit choices.

Wallace was a huge loss in 2018 despite not being near his prime. We need someone stepping up.

Not many hookers make the jump straight up from NYC. It was always going to take time

franklin2323

Immortal
I know many of you are happy about Egan getting 1st shot at the #9 but I am not. Katoa is a phenomenal talent that just needed an entire preseason and a few adjustments in his game to turn that into consistent results. There are games last season that were won on the back of his creative genius.

Who is to say Egan wouldn't of done the same? Aside from Yeo our pack defence was poor. Maybe the video showed Katoa was part of that

Devilous

Juniors

Hopefully it's a case of a tough first year. Lots of people wanted to turf Waqa after his first season/games but his quality shone through in the end.

I personally get the feeling Egan will be the same, he was miles above in u20's and looked very good in reserves too (We completely fell apart against the sharks in the NSWRL final when he went off and then nearly took it back when he came back on).

Of the players I've seen play reserves for us the three I've said to myself are too good for Reserve grade have been Waqa, Peachy and Michael Jennings. I reckon Egan will join the list and be a great first grader, hopefully long term for the Panthers

billypilgrimnz

First Grade

Katoa... creative genius. I'm guessing that is the first time those three words have ever been used together in a sentence.

Egan may not turn out to be the answer but Katoa definitely isn't. A hell of a lot of Masada Iosefa in his game

Kilkenny

Coach
Griffin signed by 2GB Continuous Call Team for Saturday night commentary duties. Apparently he is one of the most insightful minds in the game according to Ray Hadley.

Latest posts