What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20 year anniversary for the joint venture

1. Ben Hornby (c)
2. Nathan Blacklock
3. Mark Coyne
4. Matt Cooper
5. Jason Nightingale
6. Jamie Soward
7. Matty Head
8. Michael Wayman
9. Nathan Brown
10. Luke Bailey
11. Ben Creagh
12. Lance Thompson
13. Wayne Bartrim

14. Trent Barrett
15. Brett Morris
16. Dean Young
17. Shaun Timmins

Coach: Wayne Bennett

saints4ever

First Grade
As hard as it is, i went with my gut as to who on their BEST day, would be in there.
So, i present the following based on nothing but they could turn a game.

1. Boyd
2. B Morris
3. M Gasnier
4 M Cooper
5. N Blacklock
6. A Mundine
7. T Barrett
8. L Bailey
9. N Brown
10. C Smith
11. B Scott
12. T Frizzell
13. T Simms

14. B Hornby
15. M Weyman
16. P Vaughn
17. J Smith

Coach W Bennett

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
1. Patten
2. Wishart
3. McGregor
4. Cooper
5. B Morris
6. Barrett
7. Hornby

8. C Smith
9. Rein
10. Ryles
11. Fitzgibbon
12. Mackay
13. Timmins

Coach: Farrar

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
The simple answer here is the 2010 grand final winning team, but I’ll try mixing it up a bit.

Prepare for a few controversial choices.

1. Hornby
2. Blacklock
3. Coyne
4. Cooper
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop
7. Head
13. Smith
12. Thompson
11. Creagh
10. Bailey
9. Brown
8. Merrin

Old Timer

Coach
Hornby
Blacklock
Gasnier
Coyne
B Morris
Soward
Head
Smith (c)
Brown
Weyman
Creagh
Frizzell
Smith

Mundine
Ryles
Bailey
Mc Kay

IMO laughable people putting in Hunt and Vaughan who are yet to deliver on a week in week out basis.
I thought Vaughan was great in his 1st year but well down on that form last year prior to injury.
Hunt has a long way to go to show he can organise this current team and I'm positive Head would have loved to have been the half in the side above.

DragonJ

Juniors
Your a hard man putting Ryles ahead of Craig Smith, even Weyman.

To me, Ryles costs us more games than won us.
Smith was a great captain and gave his all and Wyman was peaking with us.
Bailey was an excellent player for us as well.

I was trying to think who the player was that, 'had a head like a smacked A-hole' .............. and the name, Darren Tracey came to me. Every opposition player hated him but l liked his mongrel style.

Anyway, to each their own.
Were you drunk when you posted this? Reread my message slowly.

Ryles was a good player but was a soft target for refs to penalize and his running style wasn't so effective. Opposition got under him and drove him back a little often for my liking.

WhatsYour top 17 players for the Dragons last 20 years.
A bit of fun[/cey QUOTE]
1. Darius Boyd
2. Brett Morris
3. Mark Gasnier
4. Matt Cooper (Jamie Ainscough)
5. Nathan Blacklock
6. Jamie Soward (Trent Barrett)
7. Ben Hunt (Mattie Head)
13. Wayne Bartrim
12. Tyson Frizzel
11. Tariq Sims (Lance Thompson)
10. Craig Smith
9. Nathan Brown
8. Paul Vaughn
14. Darren Tracey
15. Beau Scott
16. Michael Weyman
17.Anthony Mundine

In brackets honourable mentions

gitano

Juniors
1. Patten
2. Wishart
3. McGregor
4. Cooper
5. B Morris
6. Barrett
7. Hornby

8. C Smith
9. Rein
10. Ryles
11. Fitzgibbon
12. Mackay
13. Timmins

Coach: Farrar
What side of the JV are you from Muz? Asking for a friend

blacksafake

First Grade
Hornby
Tingha
Gaz
Coyne
B Moz
Sowie
Head
Weyman
Brown
C Smith(as long as he can stay on the field)
Frizell
Creagh
J Smith

Bailey
Mundine
Timmins
Young

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
whats the team based on i see Mark Coyne is mentioned yet he played 15 games only and from memory played off the bench as well, so are you picking players on reputation or what they did for StGeorge Illawarra as opposed to their careers at pre merger

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
1. Ben Hornby (c)
2. Nathan Blacklock
3. Mark Coyne
4. Matt Cooper
5. Jason Nightingale
6. Jamie Soward
7. Matty Head
8. Michael Wayman
9. Nathan Brown
10. Luke Bailey
11. Ben Creagh
12. Lance Thompson
13. Wayne Bartrim

14. Trent Barrett
15. Brett Morris
16. Dean Young
17. Shaun Timmins

Coach: Wayne Bennett

J. Smith for Bartrim and l'd love to find room for Beau Scott & Craig Smith but apart from that, it's a dam good team.

whats the team based on i see Mark Coyne is mentioned yet he played 15 games only and from memory played off the bench as well, so are you picking players on reputation or what they did for StGeorge Illawarra as opposed to their careers at pre merger

I always hold Mark Coyne in very high esteem for what he did in '99.

Yes it was his last year and the back end of it he saw injured on the sidelines and will be remembered as a St.George legend as opposed to a St.George Illawarra legend but, he was our first captain as a JV club (which I imagine wouldn't have been an easy task) and what's more impressive is that I remember reading at the time of the '99 GF, he actually overcame his injury in time for the '99 finals but unselfishly gave up his spot in the team and his spot to captain the team in the GF to not break up the winning combination that got the club there in the first place and essentially not taking the spot of Shaun Timmins.

That reason alone is why he's in my team. Unselfish leadership from our captain who put the team before his own glory. Unlike a certain other captain we had in 2008 who pissed off to France and cost us a promising Josh Morris.

nontime111

Juniors
thats exactly why Gazz is not in my team, I have Mcgregor at centre above him......people forget how good Mary was at centre for us and he almost captained us to that 99 GF, we should have that game recorded as our first JV win you know......nothing to do with the last try

also for coach I have a certain D.Waite as our best coach above Benny..... same reason above, 99 trophy would have ( in an uncorrupt corporotocracy, or any time before 95, Super League involvement) been ours and he would have been coach of that......I far prefer his entertaining attack play to safe old Bennet and also admire the way he took us from a team of nobodys in his first year only days out from round 1 took over the utter wreckage left by selfish Reddy....and we made the GF in that year also

FlameThrower

Bench
  1. Boyd
  2. Morris
  3. Gasnier
  4. Cooper
  5. Nightingale
  6. Soward
  7. Hornby
  8. Costigan
  9. Young
  10. Weyman
  11. Scott
  12. Creagh
  13. Smith
  14. Fien
  15. Merrin
  16. Prior
  17. Saffy
I’m all about results.

383376-matt-cooper.jpg
100% agree on this .. and you can’t argue on the results - minor premierships, premiership, world club championship.

Latest posts