What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Perth Tiger

Bench
What a rort. Matty Johns can get on his Fox shows and presumably his radio shows and talk about gamble as much as he wants while still being a halves coach with the storm.

Gambling companies can be major sponsors of clubs and the bloody game.

Daley can coach rep teams and select Australian teams.

But for some reason cant come down to a couple of training sessions and give Brooks and co a couple of pointers.

Would almost be ready for the tin foil hat if I wasn't more confident that this is just more typical impotent and petty leadership from the NRL.

Watch them knock back the contract if we manage to sign R Jennings next.

Last edited:

gordsy

Juniors
Wonder if we can hire daley at arms length. eg a sponsor pays daley or he decides to volunteer his time for free and we pay him under the table. If the nrl go to ask questions he resigns ala andrew gee.

Last edited:
In the wake of the Tim Simona fiasco I'd bring Daley on as Gambling Integrity Management Professional. He can work exclusively with Brookes, Reynolds, Marshall, and Gamble who need a bit of guidance in this area.

That would be the ultimate f#$k you to the NRL.

Plus the acronym GIMP properly describes Daley's coaching ability. I seriously think we dodged a bullet there but I hate the idea of Greenberg dictating to us.

Yeah a massive conflict of interest isn't it? Just like O'Sullivan being in charge of the roosters recruitment after being suspended for the storm salary cap rorting, and having a former salary cap auditor on the payroll. The coaches brother is always around the club and he was implicated in Essendon's peptide programme.

Does that raise any interest or is a potential conflict of interest???? Nothing to see here.........

Not to mention the fact the NRL allows pretty much every team to be sponsored by a gambling company, and has their own gambling 'partner.'

The hypocrisy is astounding.

gordsy

Juniors
https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...s-wests-tigers-snub/1ize3nkqk4vm3z5o232s7i0wh

Fist time I've agreed with MG in a while.

But a flabbergasted Geyer accused the NRL of a double-standard due to the code's commercial relationships with multiple betting agencies.

"So from this day forward we're not going to take any money off betting agencies in the NRL?" Geyer said on Triple M's The Rush Hour With MG.

"I don't get it, surely we're not giving Laurie Daley the respect he deserves.

"There's an oval called Lottoland that we play under. And how many betting agencies pump money into rugby league?

"Like come on, that's being very, very pedantic when you don't let a guy … it's kind of almost a restraint of trade.

"… So what are you saying, are you going to say that Laurie Daley's going to have inside knowledge of something from being a halves coach.

"… He's a selector for Australia, get a grip."

Geyer expressed empathy for Tigers officials who are reportedly furious with the decision, declaring it a missed opportunity for both club and code.

"It's a head shaker, it really is and I think the Tigers have every right to be filthy about it because Laurie could provide untold knowledge to their young halves and their old halves in Benji Marshall and Josh Reynolds and Luke Brooks," he said.

"It just beggars belief, it really does."

"… They're showing a lack of respect to a bloke that's been an ornament to the game and who's done nothing wrong in the past," he said.

super_coach

First Grade
The current NRL hierarchy is goingtodo the impossible, kill the chock that layed the golden egg. Since 1908 rugby league has had the ability to bounce back from one scandal after another because the product is so good. Sadly under the Greenberg administration the game is going down the gurgler on all fronts at a 100 miles an hour.

It basically all comes down to a very lopsided playing field. A few teams are getting a massive leg up while most are getting kicked down. Most decisions from our CEO are reactionary and very little proactive leadership is being shown. Call me cynical, but I see there is a agenda to force a few teams out of the Sydney market and they do not want to be seen to have blood on their hands.

Of course they are only puppets for the real power brokers of the game, but the game as we know now will not last a decade under the present direction it is headed, and maybe that is their plan. Let it crash and burn and start from scratch with only the chosen ones.

Anyway enough of my rant...just sad to see a very good product get destroyed

Tiger05

First Grade

I don't know where he is going to play. I think Nofo and Thompson are pretty decent wingers and Jennings is no better. That left centre spot is a concern though and maybe he can play there but it'll be interesting how much better he is than Fonua or Momirovski.

Shredder

Juniors
I hate to discuss anyone before they have actually signed, because often is falls over, but he would be in the centres.Masters would have one of the spots locked down given Madge played him there for the kiwis, the other is open.

If this team is going to compete, players like Fonua cant be in the first choice team.

Just noticed 2 articles of interest in the telecrap this morning. I know it's the telecrap but until proven otherwise I'll go with them being true.

1. John Sutton is having a testimonial game on Saturday. Is this money being added as income to his contract for this years salary cap? I'm guessing it's not. Why not? It's income he's generating playing for the team he is employed by.

2. Phil Gould having lunch and drinks with Todd Greenburg. Is it just me or does anyone else see this as a conflict of interest on Greenburg's part? He should not be having any one on one meetings with with club management unless it is a club specific disciplinary type of issue. Even then the meeting should be held at NRL HQ.

yet more incompetence from man in way over his head.

super_coach

First Grade
Read today that the Sharks are going to get between 800g and a million cap penalty for this year. I guess I really can’t judge it till it’s offical, but when you consider what they handed us and what we did compared to what they did it’s a slap on the wrists.

To me it seems if your going to rort the system you go big because the penalties are basically the same as the small breaches. Anyway my guess they will announce the Sharks thing next week and straight after the announcement, they will knock back our appeal. I just hope we take them to court and make them look what they are....a rubbish organisation

Das Hassler

Bench
Just noticed 2 articles of interest in the telecrap this morning. I know it's the telecrap but until proven otherwise I'll go with them being true.

1. John Sutton is having a testimonial game on Saturday. Is this money being added as income to his contract for this years salary cap? I'm guessing it's not. Why not? It's income he's generating playing for the team he is employed by.

2. Phil Gould having lunch and drinks with Todd Greenburg. Is it just me or does anyone else see this as a conflict of interest on Greenburg's part? He should not be having any one on one meetings with with club management unless it is a club specific disciplinary type of issue. Even then the meeting should be held at NRL HQ.

yet more incompetence from man in way over his head.

Gould has been lobbying HARD for premiership winning Flanno's return to the fold and reinstatement of his "fit and proper person" status...
Nothing to worry about Ivan....you have a contract

simmo05

Bench
I dont get why they are flogging us. Potentially the biggest growth area outside of brisbane, yet the inner city clubs get the rails run? Greenburg should be sucking us off instead of trying to root us!