What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

Belta

Juniors

Aquino said;

I sincerely hope he realises most people here have f**k all idea how to bring a player into first grade

————————————-++———————————————-++————-

Musby
said;

“What do you mean? Most people here are experts..Just ask them..”

———————————————————————————————————

Many ideas posted by members of this forum have been very soon after echoed by experienced ex-first graders and/or nrl commentators/experts,

The latest example being Sowards podcast where he insists Lomax should start and Aitken out. He also voiced the fact he thought Widdop should be the fullback.

IMO the fact this happens often speaks volumes for the credibility the advice/discussions on this forum.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Many ideas posted by members of this forum have been very soon after echoed by experienced ex-first graders and/or nrl commentators/experts,

The latest example being Sowards podcast where he insists Lomax should start and Aitken out. He also voiced the fact he thought Widdop should be the fullback.

IMO the fact this happens often speaks volumes for the credibility the advice/discussions on this forum.

200.gif

getsmarty

Immortal
Lomax in no hurry for No. 1
Local Sport
r0_0_3712_2475_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

ON HOLD: Dragons youngster Zac Lomax is happy to put his long-term fullback ambitions on hold if it means regular NRL action. Picture: Adam McLean.

DRAGONS sensation Zac Lomax makes no secret of his desire to one day make his mark at fullback, but he's not rushing that shift just four games into his NRL career.

The 19-year-old was a standout junior in the No. 1 jumper, but made his NRL debut on the wing last season before finishing the year in the centres.

That three-game cameo, that included two finals appearances, came after regular right centre Euan Aitken injured his hamstring.

He's likely to return there in 2019, with Lomax tipped to fill the void left by the retirement of stalwart Jason Nightingale on the flank.

It's a role he's happy to play in the interim as he continues his top-grade apprenticeship.

“Fullback would be my favourite position but as a young bloke you've got to understand the demands of the NRL and the toll it can take on your body and mentally,” he said.

“I came through the junior ranks playing fullback and having my hands on the ball a little bit more than you do out on the edge.

“I'd like to play there down the track but to be thrown in at fullback at a younger age is a bit more of an ask. Hopefully one day but you can only do what's best for the team at the moment.”

That has meant splitting his time between centre and wing through the preseason, the latter proving a learning curve.

“I've been training half and half, a lot at centre and a lot at wing, and they're two completely different positions these days,” he said.

“I'm more confident at centre than I am at wing so I've been trying to learn the game as a winger a little bit better.

“There's some quality centres here that have been good for the last three-four years so the spot's not going to be given to any of us.

“I'd like to be able to play centre but, at the same time, you've got to do what’s best for the team and whether Mary [coach Paul McGregor] wants me to play wing or centre I'm happy.”

As for who earns the No. 1 for the opening round of the season, Lomax says it remains a mystery with incumbent Matt Dufty, skipper Gareth Widdop and new recruit Corey Norman all solid options for McGregor.

"There's obviously a fair few players there fighting for the No. 1 position,” Lomax said.

“I couldn't tell you who's going to be there, obviously Duft had a good end to the season last year and Gaz has played for his country at No. 1 and he's our skipper.

“That's obviously up to Mary and whatever's best for the team, but I'm really confident that whoever gets that spot will do the job.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5892996/lomax-in-no-hurry-for-no-1/?cs=302

Drag Queen

Bench
Yes, mainly because our coach is clueless....let's watch this experiment fall apart..and Aitken will continue to get picked over Lomax..absolute joke.
I tried to share a link regarding Zac but it won't open. The kid has aspirations of playing origin either this year or next. Appears Fittler highly regards him as a young prodigy.

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
Lomax says that his preferred position is fullback. He also says that he feels more comfortable at centre than wing. I expect Mary to pick him on the wing.

Early last season, I actually said that I wanted Aitken to get injured, so that Lomax would get an opportunity to play centre, as that was the only way that I thought Lomax would get a chance. Dragon Sammy and Old Timer had a go at me for wishing injury to Aitken, but in hindsight I was right, the only way Lomax was going to get a chance to play centre, was if one of our current centres got injured. It took until around round 24 or so, for Aitken to get injured and for Lomax to get his chance. Now we have about 90% of forum posters calling for Lomax to start the season at centre ahead of Aitken, but it sounds like Mary is going to pick Aitken at centre again, which will probably mean that we will need an injury to either Aitken or Lafai for Lomax to get a shot at centre again. Lomax should be our first centre chosen. Mary really lost me with his selection of Aitken and Nightingale last year, especially when he was picking both ahead of Lomax.

Maybe Lomax is our long term fullback?

BLM01

First Grade
I tried to share a link regarding Zac but it won't open. The kid has aspirations of playing origin either this year or next. Appears Fittler highly regards him as a young prodigy.
To be fair DQ I dont think one interview I have heard (even at is old Figtree High School talking to kids) he himself has said anything about aspirations this or next year ...But if I am wrong...he should not be thinking about that after 3 proper games.
It is the people like Fittler and these emerging Blue camps + others in the media who pump up their tyres too early in their ear getting them to aspire that is the problem and unfortnunately some think they have made it allready. Meeting Lomax he seems to be level headed ATM and switched on. Lets hope that remains. For me he is a good 2 years off origin if he improves and it will be as a a centre, not fullback..nor wing. But he needs to get consistent game time their 1st..and that is no guarantee ATM at St George Illawarra under Mary..
I reckon the swelled head syndrome re origin affected Euie and Merrin although the latter did make it but did not last long.

possm

Coach
Because I don't know what the coaching staff have been saying to Aitken, it is very hard to make any comment with certainty. However, it appears to me that if the coaching staff had put time into helping Aitken address his skill shortages, maybe he would be a better player.

Aitken is the weak-link in our backline and for me, it was a real breath of fresh air seeing Lomax play at right centre.

getsmarty

Immortal
Lomax looms as likely wing option as he waits for No.1 goal
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 8 Feb 2019, 08:38 AM
walterbrad-head.png

Teen sensation Zac Lomax is prepared to bide his time on the wing to be part of a Dragons backline brimming with depth and versatility.

Lomax, who played four NRL matches for St George Illawarra last season and earned selection as a centre for the Prime Minister’s XIII and Junior Kangaroos, grew up playing fullback but is third choice at best in his preferred position behind Gareth Widdop and Matt Dufty.

The talented 19-year-old is also battling Euan Aitken, who was last year touted as a NSW Origin contender, and Samoa international Tim Lafai for a centre berth so is likely to be chosen on the wing as Dragons coach Paul McGrgeor tries to accommodate his star backs.

"I would like to play centre but at the same time you have just got to do what’s best for the team and whether Mary wants me to play wing or centre, I am happy to play wherever he decides," Lomax said.

"There are some quality centres there at the Dragons and they have been good the last three or four years they have been there so the spot is not going to be given to any of us."

lomax-nh-sf-south-sydney-rabbitohs-v-st.-george-illawarra-dragons.jpg

Dragons rising star Zac Lomax. :copyright:Nathan Hopkins/NRL Photos
Lomax has been training at both positions, with the retirement of Jason Nightingale and Nene Macdonald’s departure to North Queensland opening up a spot on the wing if he is not selected in the centres.

At 190cm, his height would be beneficial on the wing but he is more comfortable playing centre.

"They are two completely different positions these days and I guess a winger can play a role sort of like a front-rower at the back end of the field taking a lot of hard carries, whereas at centre you tend to get a lot more early ball and you are just trying to beat your opposite centre one-on-one and find a quick play-the-ball," he said.

Kerr’s push to change Indigenous misperception

McGregor, who played 14 Origins, three Tests and more than 150 first-grade matches for the Illawarra Steelers and the Dragons as a centre, has been working closely with Lomax during the off-season.

"He has just simplified my game," Lomax said.

"I tend to put a lot of pressure on myself going into a game and I tend to try to do too much on a play whereas he would just prefer me to find my feet and play the ball as quick as I can."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...likely-wing-option-as-he-waits-for-no.1-goal/

possm

Coach
Lomax looms as likely wing option as he waits for No.1 goal
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 8 Feb 2019, 08:38 AM
walterbrad-head.png

Teen sensation Zac Lomax is prepared to bide his time on the wing to be part of a Dragons backline brimming with depth and versatility.

Lomax, who played four NRL matches for St George Illawarra last season and earned selection as a centre for the Prime Minister’s XIII and Junior Kangaroos, grew up playing fullback but is third choice at best in his preferred position behind Gareth Widdop and Matt Dufty.

The talented 19-year-old is also battling Euan Aitken, who was last year touted as a NSW Origin contender, and Samoa international Tim Lafai for a centre berth so is likely to be chosen on the wing as Dragons coach Paul McGrgeor tries to accommodate his star backs.

"I would like to play centre but at the same time you have just got to do what’s best for the team and whether Mary wants me to play wing or centre, I am happy to play wherever he decides," Lomax said.

"There are some quality centres there at the Dragons and they have been good the last three or four years they have been there so the spot is not going to be given to any of us."

lomax-nh-sf-south-sydney-rabbitohs-v-st.-george-illawarra-dragons.jpg

Dragons rising star Zac Lomax. :copyright:Nathan Hopkins/NRL Photos
Lomax has been training at both positions, with the retirement of Jason Nightingale and Nene Macdonald’s departure to North Queensland opening up a spot on the wing if he is not selected in the centres.

At 190cm, his height would be beneficial on the wing but he is more comfortable playing centre.

"They are two completely different positions these days and I guess a winger can play a role sort of like a front-rower at the back end of the field taking a lot of hard carries, whereas at centre you tend to get a lot more early ball and you are just trying to beat your opposite centre one-on-one and find a quick play-the-ball," he said.

Kerr’s push to change Indigenous misperception

McGregor, who played 14 Origins, three Tests and more than 150 first-grade matches for the Illawarra Steelers and the Dragons as a centre, has been working closely with Lomax during the off-season.

"He has just simplified my game," Lomax said.

"I tend to put a lot of pressure on myself going into a game and I tend to try to do too much on a play whereas he would just prefer me to find my feet and play the ball as quick as I can."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...likely-wing-option-as-he-waits-for-no.1-goal/

Great option, play wing outside Aitken who has bad reads in defence and never passes the ball!

Smurf

Juniors
Great ( not )

There goes all his flair !!

He has just simplified my game," Lomax said.

BLM01

First Grade
Great ( not )

There goes all his flair !!

He has just simplified my game," Lomax said.
Agree...Translation - probably what Mary told Aitken.and everyone else in the side....,just die with the ball and play it quickly.
Forget about trying to set up a try or try, step and beat oppostion or offload
FFS...Mary is a simple minded conservative possession stats orientated coach......there in lies our team's problem

TruSaint

Referee
and,...... negotiations are under way to extend Mary's tenure.
Every time there is a hint of an "x" factor, it is destroyed by this ultra simplistic "power" game of our coach.

JDHD

Juniors
Agree...Translation - probably what Mary told Aitken.and everyone else in the side....,just die with the ball and play it quickly.
Forget about trying to set up a try or try, step and beat oppostion or offload
FFS...Mary is a simple minded conservative possession stats orientated coach......there in lies our team's problem

Christ almighty sometimes I wonder why I even bother with this forum anymore. Quick play the balls are ESSENTIAL for any position. Also, if you actually read the article, you’d know that he says centres “get a lot more early ball and [try] to beat your opposite centre one-on-one and find a quick play-the-ball”.

Following the logic train, you need to try to sidestep your opposite number, and offloads naturally follow, which lead to line breaks, which lead to tries.

If you’re going to shit on the coach, at least read the f**king article and think for two f**king seconds about the context of what is said.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So, as it stands, Lomax will be on the wing, most probably the right.
That leaves 3 players contesting the other wing spot ie: Pereira, Pearson and Ravalawa. Periera being the incumbent.

1. Widdop
2. Lomax
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5. P or P or R
6. Norman
7. Hunt

I think i could, boil the jug, make tea and drink it before that backline runs down field to score.

TruSaint

Referee
So, as it stands, Lomax will be on the wing, most probably the right.
That leaves 3 players contesting the other wing spot ie: Pereira, Pearson and Ravalawa. Periera being the incumbent.

1. Widdop
2. Lomax
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5. P or P or R
6. Norman
7. Hunt

I think i could, boil the jug, make tea and drink it before that backline runs down field to score.

FaroffCandidIndianrhinoceros-size_restricted.gif

Latest posts