What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
No.

And anyway, comparing Rugby League with soccer for international relevance.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

ha!
we weren't comparing sports for international relevance, we were looking at venue choice decisions. lol

Timmah

Staff member
And he said what if no games are played in Sydney.

And games were played in Sydney for the tournament you brought up.
There were minimal matches played in Sydney, the tournament organisers chose to snub the city largely in favour of Melbourne and Brisbane.

If Sydney's stadia are sorely lacking in availability or quality then organisers of other tournaments may well choose to do the same - allocating minimal or poor quality matches to the city or worse still, avoiding it altogether.

T-Boon

Coach
What's wrong with Parramatta, you know the one that isn't finished yet?

Two things.
1. that is Western Sydney which I consider to be a different city to Sydney.
2. It will be too small to host meaningful games such as those that involve the matildas. Those games would get 50k easily.

T-Boon

Coach
Yes. I'm sure the organisers are going to want to hold games in Townsville and the like over Sydney.

The Matildas would play at Suncorp and stadiums of that size and quality.

Sydney might get some smaller country games, but it is also possible that they could go eslewhere. I guess WSS would get some preliminay games.

T-Boon

Coach
Also it does not matter who makes the final of the womens world cup that game will be capacity in any stadium. But imagine if the Matildas make the final and it is hosted in Melbourne not Sydney because Clover Moore et al will not spend any money on stadiums.

If Melbourne host the final it would just about drive me nuts after how the AFL ferked over our previous world cup hosting bid.

Last edited:

morley101

Juniors
Some money being spent on Brookvale...
https://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2019/02/08/sea-eagles-centre-of-excellence-set-for-lottoland/

image006.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
There were minimal matches played in Sydney, the tournament organisers chose to snub the city largely in favour of Melbourne and Brisbane.

If Sydney's stadia are sorely lacking in availability or quality then organisers of other tournaments may well choose to do the same - allocating minimal or poor quality matches to the city or worse still, avoiding it altogether.

Stadia quality was not why they snubbed sydney for big games lol

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
There’s every chance they’d play it in Melbourne anyway.

In the MCG. In front of 100k people.

There is no chance FIFA would allow any World Cup match, womens or mens, to be played at the MCG. Any World Cup final would 100% be played in Sydney. They would however demand our stadiums be upgraded for the occasion.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You've incorrectly correlated the two parts of my post to assume that's what I said, which I didn't.

There were minimal matches played in Sydney,

If Sydney's stadia are sorely lacking in availability or quality then organisers of other tournaments may well choose to do the same - .

I did? So pray do tell what is the correlation between Sydney being snubbed in the RLWC because NSW Govt was too tight to pay for the privilege of hosting big games, with the stadia quality issue in Sydney? You raised them both in the same post so you must have had something in your head that they had a relevance to each other?
If Sydney didnt get RLWC finals because of stadium availability or quality you might have a point, but thats no the reason

Perth Red

Post Whore
There is no chance FIFA would allow any World Cup match, womens or mens, to be played at the MCG. Any World Cup final would 100% be played in Sydney. They would however demand our stadiums be upgraded for the occasion.

It would be played at ANZ, regardless of face lift or not. It currently meets their criteria. Unless Vic Govt threw a shed load of money at it then it could be at MCG but it would be a push. Be interesting to see if they would support the use of oval stadiums, Optus would still be a better day out at the game than many rectangular stadiums despite the viewing issue.

Timmah

Staff member
I did? So pray do tell what is the correlation between Sydney being snubbed in the RLWC because NSW Govt was too tight to pay for the privilege of hosting big games, with the stadia quality issue in Sydney? You raised them both in the same post so you must have had something in your head that they had a relevance to each other?
If Sydney didnt get RLWC finals because of stadium availability or quality you might have a point, but thats no the reason
There wasn't a correlation of the reasoning, the point was made simply to show that governing bodies for major tournaments have been prepared to snub Sydney in the past.

Although interestingly enough, the NSW Govt being too tight to upgrade stadia could be a reason in the future, so it kinda is the same thing.

TheFrog

Coach
Two things.
1. that is Western Sydney which I consider to be a different city to Sydney.

If that were the case the Thrilla in Manila should be called the Thrilla in Cubao or the Thrilla in Quezon City. Cubao, where the event was held, is about 45 minutes in a taxi from the middle of Manila.

You appear to be suggesting Western Sydney is less worthy of such an event than central Sydney.

2. It will be too small to host meaningful games such as those that involve the matildas. Those games would get 50k easily.
So the SFS, even the rebuilt one, will be too small too.

Last edited:

Quicksilver

Bench
There wasn't a correlation of the reasoning, the point was made simply to show that governing bodies for major tournaments have been prepared to snub Sydney in the past.

Although interestingly enough, the NSW Govt being too tight to upgrade stadia could be a reason in the future, so it kinda is the same thing.

“Major”

T-Boon

Coach
You appear to be suggesting Western Sydney is less worthy of such an event than central Sydney.

I don't know where you got that from my post, but you just so happen to be right, I do think that.

The womens movement is strong in the hipster places around the SFS where rich white women sit around in their yoga gear drinking coffees and it is not really a thing at all in the places around Parramatta. So ideally you would have the final in rich, spoilt white chick central.

TheFrog

Coach
I don't know where you got that from my post, but you just so happen to be right, I do think that.

The womens movement is strong in the hipster places around the SFS where rich white women sit around in their yoga gear drinking coffees and it is not really a thing at all in the places around Parramatta. So ideally you would have the final in rich, spoilt white chick central.

People who presumably are not willing to travel to Parramatta?

I reckon you'd have it at ANZ, if it's considered that big a drawcard. They've played the game there before. In any case, I doubt its an issue in the election in a few weeks time.

T-Boon

Coach
People who presumably are not willing to travel to Parramatta?

I reckon you'd have it at ANZ, if it's considered that big a drawcard. They've played the game there before. In any case, I doubt its an issue in the election in a few weeks time.

WSS is 30k so too small for the Matildas world cup games, it would definitely get lesser games (ie not Aus, Brazil, USA etc).

ANZ is to ANZ.