What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop seeks release

Gareth67

First Grade
Fook ! I have been up at the farm for 2 weeks covered up to my armpits in hog shat and I return to discover that this crap is still going on - as I said fook !

Widdop is undoubtedly the best 5/8 anywhere in the league world EVER .
End of thread , next subject please .

Carlton

Juniors
Woohoo

Wowsers Carlton. Widdop is actually a humble bloke and definitely not an opportunist. Your view on him and mine are miles apart. Respect your opinion but don't agree with you on this one.

I am not making any comment about his character, I am saying that he is more of an opportunist in how he plays. He is better at taking advantage of situations rather than creating them. I rate this as a positive attribute but it is not a playmaker/gamemanager.

I see. So Widdop's habitual cross field running was as a result of him having no idea what else to do. That corresponds pretty well with my own opinion. He was hopelessly out of his depth in the halves. Not his fault. Any coach that wasn't a complete moron would have seen this after only a few rounds. he should have been moved to fullback after a few rounds but his salary should have reflected his inability to be the main playmaker he stated he came to be.
Craig Bellamy a complete moron?.......dribble dribble

SBD82

Coach
I dont think Widdop is a good game manager or playmaker, I think he is an opportunist and is more suited to fullback. I was concerned when we signed Ben Hunt that a Hunt/Widdop combo did not have strong game management skills and that they are runners. I am happy we have Hunt and I believe a Hunt/Norman pairing could be the best in the league.

Widdop at fullback would allow him to direct the team without the pressure of calling most plays and trying to playmake as well. He could then chime in when he saw chances present themselves. He does not look good when he is trying to create something when the defence is set and solid. This is when he does most of his sideways running, its not because of his teammates not being available its because he doesn't know how to utilise them in this situation or what is the play to use.
I agree that Widdop plays better off the cuff. But I think he has been forced into the organising role because there's not been anyone else.

Traditionally this has been the role of the halfback, and the 6 can play what he sees. Less so now that the halves play mostly on one side, but it still holds true with most halves combos.

I'd not want widdop as a halfback, but I think he is a very fine 6.

TruSaint

Referee
I am not making any comment about his character, I am saying that he is more of an opportunist in how he plays. He is better at taking advantage of situations rather than creating them. I rate this as a positive attribute but it is not a playmaker/gamemanager.

Thats the way i understood your post.

Carlton

Juniors
I agree that Widdop plays better off the cuff. But I think he has been forced into the organising role because there's not been anyone else.

Traditionally this has been the role of the halfback, and the 6 can play what he sees. Less so now that the halves play mostly on one side, but it still holds true with most halves combos.

The role wasn't thrust onto him because no one else was available, he wanted it and publicly stated that was one of the reasons he moved to Saints. Unfortunately, I think he would like to be that sort of player and he even believes he is one. The reality is he isnt and his best play is ad lib off the back of other players.

Drag Queen

Bench
I think @Carlton meant "opportunist" in relation to game play... i.e not a personality / character matter.
Thats the way I read it.
I'm not sure I read that the wrong way TS tbh. Widdop crabs it when there is nobody in the team acting as backup. Not his fault there. When you call someone an opportunist it does bring someone's reputation into question. That is the way I interpreted it Xx

SBD82

Coach
The role wasn't thrust onto him because no one else was available, he wanted it and publicly stated that was one of the reasons he moved to Saints. Unfortunately, I think he would like to be that sort of player and he even believes he is one. The reality is he isnt and his best play is ad lib off the back of other players.
I didn't interpret his comments that way, although I can see how you did.

When he talked about being the playmaker I still understood that to be the traditional five eight role, not the organising half.

Drag Queen

Bench
Fair enough Carlton. Each to their own. Who would be your skipper?

Carlton

Juniors
Fair enough Carlton. Each to their own. Who would be your skipper?

I think we are short of a genuine skipper and think that Widdop could do a fair job of it as a fullback. I personally dont like players in the middle of the battle as skipper, it is hard to see what is going right and wrong. For me a skipper is better in a position where they can see whats unfolding and fullback is perfect for that.

PS remember the skipper doesnt call the plays etc. For this I would be looking at Norman, Hunt and asking McInness to step up in this area and play some first receiver on occasion like Smith and Cook.

TruSaint

Referee
A hard, ruthless coach would tell Widdop he is playing in ISP as he is now superfluous to our needs. In the end, we would probably have to pay some of his salary but not much for him to go to the ESL immediately.]

This is some of your best work @DragonJ ...
Smithsonian material.

So which is it mate... 5/8th ( no according to you ), full back ( now you are warming to that idea ), , or ISP material ( which your wisdom led you to suggest ), ?

Im gonna take a wild guess and say that of all 3 options, he wont be playing in the ISP. But hey, who knows...

DragonJ

Juniors
Craig Bellamy a complete moron?.......dribble dribble
yeah. The guy is a real condescending scumbag. A rival coach talking up a guy he has just let go as "a player you can build a club around". Any normal person would say something to the end of: "f**k you, you condescending rat. We will deal with our team and your input isn't needed or wanted." But our f**king genius coaching staff are like: "Bellamy (a rival coach) said he is a guy we can build a team around so let's do it. Premiership glory here we come!"

Seriously, how did our great club come to be in the clutches of such morons? There should be an inquiry!!
This is some of your best work @DragonJ ...
Smithsonian material.

So which is it mate... 5/8th ( no according to you ), full back ( now you are warming to that idea ), , or ISP material ( which your wisdom led you to suggest ), ?

Im gonna take a wild guess and say that of all 3 options, he wont be playing in the ISP. But hey, who knows...
Are you really that desperate to get my attention? Why don't you quote the entire message? What I said is of course, absolutely true.
I dont think Widdop is a good game manager or playmaker, I think he is an opportunist and is more suited to fullback. I was concerned when we signed Ben Hunt that a Hunt/Widdop combo did not have strong game management skills and that they are runners. I am happy we have Hunt and I believe a Hunt/Norman pairing could be the best in the league.

Widdop at fullback would allow him to direct the team without the pressure of calling most plays and trying to playmake as well. He could then chime in when he saw chances present themselves. He does not look good when he is trying to create something when the defence is set and solid. This is when he does most of his sideways running, its not because of his teammates not being available its because he doesn't know how to utilise them in this situation or what is the play to use.
If you post many more messages like this, @TruSaint is going to put away the pins in regard to your voodoo doll and pull out an axe.

DragonJ

Juniors

I will get back to you a little later. Probably tomorrow or Sunday. Maybe Monday. In the meantime please don't let these morons derail an interesting discussion. As far as I can see, only yourself, myself, @Carlton and the moral colossus (@Old Timer) have any worthwhile input.

TruSaint

Referee
yeah. The guy is a real condescending scumbag. A rival coach talking up a guy he has just let go as "a player you can build a club around". Any normal person would say something to the end of: "f**k you, you condescending rat. We will deal with our team and your input isn't needed or wanted." But our f**king genius coaching staff are like: "Bellamy (a rival coach) said he is a guy we can build a team around so let's do it. Premiership glory here we come!"

Seriously, how did our great club come to be in the clutches of such morons? There should be an inquiry!!

Are you really that desperate to get my attention? Why don't you quote the entire message? What I said is of course, absolutely true.

If you post many more messages like this, @TruSaint is going to put away the pins in regard to your voodoo doll and pull out an axe.

You are an A grade idiot... Congrats.

Who stared the voodoo shite you f**king lowlife. ???

Check the dates and come back to me when u take your meds.

TruSaint

Referee
I will get back to you a little later. Probably tomorrow or Sunday. Maybe Monday. In the meantime please don't let these morons derail an interesting discussion. As far as I can see, only yourself, myself, @Carlton and the moral colossus (@Old Timer) have any worthwhile input.

If thats the case, that only selected members can have input, why do you tag me every second post ?

Again, check your posts..... Enjoy your weekend. I look forward to being " tagged " again. Cant wait :cool:

SBD82

Coach
Don't try to involve me in your petty bullshit. If you want to reply, do it in your own time. But I've no interest in being catty.

Drag Queen

Bench
I think we are short of a genuine skipper and think that Widdop could do a fair job of it as a fullback. I personally dont like players in the middle of the battle as skipper, it is hard to see what is going right and wrong. For me a skipper is better in a position where they can see whats unfolding and fullback is perfect for that.

PS remember the skipper doesnt call the plays etc. For this I would be looking at Norman, Hunt and asking McInness to step up in this area and play some first receiver on occasion like Smith and Cook.
My take on a skipper doesn't rely on what position he/she is playing. Leadership and communication isn't about being the loudest, but knowing when to talk and how to say it. Motivation is also key. Someone who is a good role model that commands respect from their team. I'd also call decision making high up there, especially under pressure. A good skipper knows what's going on in all areas of play. I guess we are lucky this year that our captain has a couple of players to rely on to give direction when needed. Norman being one of them. Cheers Carlton, here's to making the top 4 Xx

Drag Queen

Bench
If thats the case, that only selected members can have input, why do you tag me every second post ?

Again, check your posts..... Enjoy your weekend. I look forward to being " tagged " again. Cant wait :cool:
Stalker patrol. High alert TruSaint. On a more positive note you may have until Monday before he strikes again. Have a good weekend :)

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
But our f**king genius coaching staff are like: "Bellamy (a rival coach) said he is a guy we can build a team around so let's do it. Premiership glory here we come!"

Agree.

Let's start with this evidence:

bwc03153.jpg