What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Trek to return to the small screen.

Timbo

Staff member
Anyone else left with the impression that they cut off Saru's spidey-sense because they had absolutely no f**king idea how to write around it?

As for Number One... Would bang. Rebecca Romijn has never looked better.

Yep - and the Short Treks made it clear he’s one of a kind in the Federation.

I’m kind of glad. We get to keep Saru, who’s an awesome character, whilst losing his spidey sense - which was silly.

I enjoyed that episode.

bileduct

Coach
Wow, that final episode of Enterprise...

What a gigantic pile of shit. The absolutely pointless death of Trip and the subsequent lack of reaction from any of the crew was just mind numbingly geniused. Troi even spoils it before it happens! We didn't get to hear Archer's speech. The whole tie in with the TNG episode The Pegasus was a real brain scratcher.... Why? Jeffrey Combs is always great and deserved to be in the finale, but the last minute mission to rescue his daughter? JFC.

I had a look through the entire series episode list and I realised why season four stood out from the rest. Rick Berman and Brannon Braga had f**k all to do with it except for the series finale which is probably the biggest Star Trek turd of all time. f**k, I'd rather watch the DS9 episode Move Along Home on repeat for the rest of my life than watch that piece of shit again.

I always thought that Braga in particular was an absolute hack. Thank f**k he had zero to do with DS9. What a dumb f**ker.

So f**king annoyed right now!

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
Wow, that final episode of Enterprise...

What a gigantic pile of shit. The absolutely pointless death of Trip and the subsequent lack of reaction from any of the crew was just mind numbingly geniused. Troi even spoils it before it happens! We didn't get to hear Archer's speech. The whole tie in with the TNG episode The Pegasus was a real brain scratcher.... Why? Jeffrey Combs is always great and deserved to be in the finale, but the last minute mission to rescue his daughter? JFC.

I had a look through the entire series episode list and I realised why season four stood out from the rest. Rick Berman and Brannon Braga had f**k all to do with it except for the series finale which is probably the biggest Star Trek turd of all time. f**k, I'd rather watch the DS9 episode Move Along Home on repeat for the rest of my life than watch that piece of shit again.

I always thought that Braga in particular was an absolute hack. Thank f**k he had zero to do with DS9. What a dumb f**ker.

So f**king annoyed right now!

Apparently had it gone to a fifth season, Shran was going to be a main character.

But yeah, that episode... that’s one of those things where you have to ask - how many people signed off on that without realising what a bad idea it was?

Timbo

Staff member
The most recent ep of Disco...

I’m not crying you’re crying.

And also, if:

Culber was able to survive as energy in the mycelial network, then surely Lorca may have as well?

Last edited:

jargan83

Coach
I thought Section 31 were supposed to be a secretive operation with Starfleet? In Discovery every bastard knows who they are.

As for your spoiler Timbo, I’d almost bet on it.

Timbo

Staff member
I thought Section 31 were supposed to be a secretive operation with Starfleet? In Discovery every bastard knows who they are.

As for your spoiler Timbo, I’d almost bet on it.

I kind of buy 31 being a more open secret around the time of Dicovery as opposed to TNG/DS9.

In original trek, space really is the old west where everyone is trying to kill you. I’d believe that senior officers know about 31 as Intelligence’s clandestine arm.

By the time TNG happens, space isn’t portrayed as anywhere near as wild or scary as it was a century earlier in the era of Kirk. I wouldn’t be surprised if it gradually moved further into the shadows as starfleet officers became more self-righteous (see: Jean-Luc Picard, Kathryn Janeway, et al) and was only known to the senior ranks of Starfleet and politicians.

For example, in DS9 Sisko has never heard of 31, but Ross clearly has and is working with them when they go to Romulus.

Timbo

Staff member
Section 31 was around in Enterprise as well.

As Sloan tells Bashir, they’re in the original Starfleet charter.

I think what a lot of people forget is that that the earliest in-universe reference to 31 is Reed joining them in 2151, whereas Bashir being approached by them occurs in 2374.

A hell of a lot can happen in 220 years. I think they’re setting this season of Discovery up to also show why it retreats further into the shadows as time goes on.

bileduct

Coach
So let me guess, we're going to sit through almost the entirety of season 2 before Spock makes an appearance.

This was the first episode to be filmed after the previous show runners got fired for blowing the budget, which became immediately obvious when Saru beamed himself to the Ba'ul ship. The room he was in was Discovery's transporter room with dark lighting.

Also, the red angel is Michael.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
So let me guess, we're going to sit through almost the entirety of season 2 before Spock makes an appearance.

This was the first episode to be filmed after the previous show runners got fired for blowing the budget, which became immediately obvious when Saru beamed himself to the Ba'ul ship. The room he was in was Discovery's transporter room with dark lighting.

Also, the red angel is Michael.

I hope it’s not Michael. That’d be a bit of a cop out. I also hope it’s not Spock.

bileduct

Coach
I hope it’s not Michael. That’d be a bit of a cop out. I also hope it’s not Spock.
The red angel shown in the most recent episode most definitely had a woman's figure, so it's not Spock.

I think it's either time travelling Michael from the future or mirror universe Michael who can also time travel.

bileduct

Coach
I watched an interesting documentary about TNG today called Chaos on the Bridge.

It was produced, directed and narrated by William Shatner and mostly concerned Gene Roddenberry's control of the first two seasons of TNG. I thought there was chaos behind the scenes on Discovery with multiple show runners being fired, but that's nothing compared to the stack of bodies that Gene piled up over those two seasons. Over 30 staff were fired in the first season alone, from actors (Gates McFadden) to most of the writing staff. Gene was apparently notoriously difficult to work for, and the increase in quality from season three onward was a direct result of his influence being dramatically reduced.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/chaosonthebridge/131812876

Last edited:

edabomb

First Grade
Discovery - where if you die you are generally brought back to life within 5 minutes. Don't know what Doc did to deserve a year on the sideline.

On another note I think season 2 is really missing Captain Lorca. Pike really lacks anything distinguishable.

Timbo

Staff member
Discovery - where if you die you are generally brought back to life within 5 minutes. Don't know what Doc did to deserve a year on the sideline.

On another note I think season 2 is really missing Captain Lorca. Pike really lacks anything distinguishable.

I am certain we haven't seen the last of Lorca. He was 'killed' by being thrown into the mycelial reactor and Culber has now proven it's possible to survive as energy in the network. I'm also missing him as he was such a great character and Isaacs played him so well - but I am enjoying Mount as Pike.

In other news:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...ry-renewed-season-3-at-cbs-all-access-1180555

With the upcoming Picard and Section 31 series it's a pretty good time to be a trekkie.

bileduct

Coach

Pike would be a lot better if he didn't have to constantly seek approval from Michael for everything.

But the show is centered around Michael so I guess it's no wonder why she always has the solution for everything.

bileduct

Coach
Well, after today's episode...

I am pretty convinced that mirror universe Michael is the red angel.

I think we'll see mirror universe Georgiou end up taking control of Section 31 and she will ultimately be responsible for the events seen in the future. Mirror universe Michael, being the exceptional person that she is, crossed into the prime universe at some point in the future, saw the shit Georgiou was getting up to, and turned into a good girl who wanted to save everyone. She came to the conclusion that she needed another exceptional person to help out which of course could only be herself.

Problem is that prime universe Michael died after running away from her Vulcan home with Spock. So mirror universe Michael makes a few strategic appearances designed to save her prime universe counterpart and other buddies needed to pull off an intervention.

I think this story arc was planned well in advance, possibly before season one even started. Section 31 dudes are seen in episode three of the first season but never brought up again until this season. Also, in the season finale while they are f**king around on Qo'noS, Right after Tilley takes a massive bong rip, Michael is shown looking at some drawing. She touches the drawing and it sprouts a big pair of red wings.

Plus the mirror universe Michael is just presumed dead. Exceptional people do not just have uninteresting deaths.

bileduct

Coach
Man, I f**king hate, hate, hate Michael Burnham and her portrayal by Sonequa Martin-Green. It's a combination of her character being a thoroughly unlikable piece of shit, and Green's annoying facial expressions and other mannerisms.

Not gonna spoil anything, but her behaviour during the chess game initially, and then with the airlock business was just over the top. *Especially* the airlock part. She was supposed to have grown up on Vulcan and taught to behave like one, but what she did (or didn't do) at the end was a complete betrayal of all that.

Is there a kung fu fight she hasn't won yet against anybody? She beats Klingons, Vulcans, now she's fighting a f**king robot for f**k's sake. They go out of their way to show how hard she's getting beaten by it, but she still gets the upper hand through force alone. This is the worst Mary Sue shit ever.

Just a f**king dumb, inconsistent, poorly written character all around. This show would be so much better without her. Worst regular ever on any Star Trek show.

Last edited:

bileduct

Coach
How f**king stupid was the minefield? I really don't understand how clearly visible mines would be useful in space, oh, unless the crew of the starships encountering them forgot they had f**king phase cannons and torpedoes to take them out! Every other time they've been deployed they have been equipped with cloaking devices that make them effective. They should have been sitting ducks but instead Discovery just continues to plough through them and take damage the whole time without ever using weapons against them.

In this episode it was just a set up to make Michael Burnham a genius again. Hey, it's a game guys! Just do random shit like Spock was doing 10 minute before while playing chess! Burnham to the rescue!

Security Chief Nhan is clearly suspicious of Airiam the entire f**king episode but doesn't say shit to anyone. Every scene Airiam is in Nhan is lurking in the background keeping an eye on her but is apparently clueless to what she's up to, even though her actions are being shown to us, the viewers. It's as though this was done to explain why Nhan opened the airlock to eject Airiam into space when Michael couldn't do it. But that wasn't even necessary because you've got Airiam trying to kill both of them and then revealing the master plan that she's going to send the rest of the data, kill Michael and then destroy Discovery. Oh, and there's the captain ordering them to OPEN THE f**kING AIRLOCK!

Michael can save the day! She just needs one minute to figure out how to disable the system controlling Airiam even though Airiam only needs 10 seconds to override the door for another kung fu fight, which of course Michael will win because she never loses kung fu fights, ever. But no, Nhan flicks the switch and Airiam goes for a space ride just so we can see Burnham's human side and Green's annoying as f**k acting.

"Michael, everything is because of you!"

Yeah, no shit. Burnham is the red angel from the future saving everyone. Maybe not the mirror universe one, but probably an alternate timeline or some time loop bullshit. Whoopdef**kingdo.

f**k I hate her, if that wasn't already obvious.

Wouldn't you also have thought that if hologram technology is readily available in this era of Star Trek that they'd include checking for it when verifying video footage? Admiral whatsherhead said the video of Spock wasting people had been verified as being real.

Last edited:

bileduct

Coach
Interesting article on upcoming Star Trek content.

https://trekmovie.com/2019/03/16/cb...keep-star-trek-fans-subscribed-to-all-access/

Looks like the Picard series isn't going to Netflix for non-US markets as Discovery did, and will instead be distributed by CBS Studios International. That means it will be shown here on the 10 All Access streaming service.

Yeah, f**k that. I'm not signing up to another streaming service for just one show. We're now right in the middle of the streaming wars which will end up being another dot-com bubble.

Last edited:

Latest posts