What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mary contract extension talks start

Dragonforlife

Juniors
Your post is spot on apart from the fact that we have won half a dozen games or more by less than a converted try last season, and if i recall seasons prior. Yet we have been battered by sides not in contention. 40-4 against Parra and 38 zip v Dogs.

Its the capitulation against sides at the bottom half of the ladder, and our consistent mid year fades that have shown Mary up. Mind you, if I were Mary I would be looking at a new deal. Why wouldn't I ? His only option would be the ESL, following Price.
I only

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Further to the management point is why would you entertain an extension prior to the season starting?
because of strong interest in Mary from opposition teams

due to solid results so far

because he’s the best available coach right now

Dragonforlife

Juniors
Did Mary do up your work roster to clash with games?

He’s such a jerk.
I SAW THE BOYS FOUR DAYS IN 28 . DRAGONS CHANGE APPROACH TO FIND EXTRA 10 PERCENT

The St George Illawarra Dragons were 10 per cent behind the top sides in the competition last year, according to Paul McGregor.

Despite topping the table until round 16, and ultimately falling short of the preliminary finals by just a single point, the Dragons coach admitted he and his team weren’t prepared for the challenges they faced last year.

Sitting on a couch opposite Fox League’s Lara Pitt, McGregor said the end-of-season review clearly highlighted the areas they can better manage ahead of the upcoming season.

“Our contact [was a lesson we needed to learn]. We probably did too much contact in-season we’ve got to look after that a little bit better,” he told League Life.

“We’ve looked at our calendar in terms of travel, we’ve looked at the technical side of it, tactical, and how we can analyse games better.

“Then during the Origin period I think I saw the boys four days in 28 – where they’d done no team video during that period because they were sort of back to playing and then gone again.” “Our culture, and our leadership too,” he continued.

“We’ve been working on a rounded approach to try and improve 10 per cent on how we played last year, because when we did the review of 2018 we thought we were probably 10 per cent behind those top four sides for the journey of the competition even though we were in the top four for 20 rounds.”

Of course, there will be natural improvement.

As McGregor points out, he had five of his key men play in last year’s Origin series, and for Jack de Belin, Paul Vaughan and Tariq Sims it was only their first time.

He also explains that his players only had 38 games of finals experience between them before they destroyed the Broncos in the elimination final at Suncorp, and now they have 87.

“I think the experience the players got out of the finals that played for the first time [will only benefit us],” he said.

“The Origin experience, we had five guys play Origin when in previous years we only had one or two so we’ll be better for that, and our squad hasn’t got any weaker I think it’s got stronger.

“I think 2018 showed we’re not too far away. Our first back to back losses were in rounds 17 and 18 which is a really big improvement from 2018 which was over rounds seven and eight.”

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons depth a problem for coach McGregor?

Usually, depth is something that coaches welcome, but for St George Illawarra Dragons coach Paul McGregor managing that playing depth during the season to give competing players a fair chance to develop will make a major difference to retention of players in 2020.

The embarrassment of riches at the Dragons particularly in the forwards again surfaced this week with the selection of Joss Kerr, Dragons ISP front rower, who has yet to make his first NRL appearance, in the All-Stars team to play next week.

With a starting front row of James Graham and Paul Vaughan with Jeremy Latimore and Broncos recruit Korbin Sims likely to warm the bench, it is hard to see Josh Kerr making an NRL appearance for the Dragons this year bar multiple injuries to the front row.

There are of course two spots left on the bench, but one spot is likely to be taken by the Dragons fullback last season Matt Dufty who is likely to lose his position to English fullback Gareth Widdop with Corey Norman taking on Widdop’s place at 5/8.

The remaining spot on the bench in the forwards is a tossup between attack or defence with Dragons attacking second rower Luciana Leilua facing competition from tough front rower Blake Lawrie who played very well towards the end of the season last year.

Whoever loses that battle will join Joss Kerr and a host of other promising Dragons forwards including Jacob Host, Lachlan Timms, Hayden Lomax, and Reese Robson in the ISP.'

The embarrassment of riches is slightly less in the backs where the retirement of winger Jason Nightingale and departure of other winger PNG international Nene McDonald to the Cowboys has left two wing positions to fill.

Competition for these two positions is fierce with Matt Dufty possibly having to compete for a wing position if McGregor elects to go with four forwards on the bench.

Dufty will be competing with Dragons finals sensation the Zac Lomax, ex-Bronco Jonas Pearson, promising Fijian Mikaela Ravalava, younger Dragon Jason Saab, and ex-Bronco Lachlan Maranta.

It is of course likely that all these players will get their chance in the trial matches, but more importantly mid last season Paul McGregor introduced a rotation system to the bench which saw one back or forward rotated each week.

Jack De Belin’s criminal charges may open up his lock position later in the season and it is likely that McGregor may test out potential replacements early in the season for De Belin’s spot.

Injuries and origin will provide other opportunities particularly in the forwards.

It is going to be a long season and one thing we can rely on is that coach McGregor will not lose any hair agonizing over selection decisions, but how many young squad members will he lose at the end of 2019?

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/02/08/dragons-depth-a-problem-for-coach-mcgregor/

SnowDragon

Juniors
WOW

Just joined and I can’t understand the level of negativity against Mary (and Dufty and Widdop and ...).

Sure, I was a little disappointed with some aspects (primarily bringing on young talent and managing player workload) and think there is improvement needed, but overall I can probably make similar level of criticism of most coaches. With the seemingly good player buy-in I think the stability is good.

That said I live on the other side of the world and although I watch every game, I can’t really know how good or bad he is, so more than willing to consider that there may be better options. Still, the whinging sounds like a bunch of Manly supporters :)

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
WOW

Just joined and I can’t understand the level of negativity against Mary (and Dufty and Widdop and ...).

Sure, I was a little disappointed with some aspects (primarily bringing on young talent and managing player workload) and think there is improvement needed, but overall I can probably make similar level of criticism of most coaches. With the seemingly good player buy-in I think the stability is good.

That said I live on the other side of the world and although I watch every game, I can’t really know how good or bad he is, so more than willing to consider that there may be better options. Still, the whinging sounds like a bunch of Manly supporters :)
Welcome to the forums Paul, hope you enjoy your time here

mickeylane

Bench
I think a lot of people losing sight here of why McGregor is being re-signed.

The fact is the coaching model the board has always wanted to adopt has been to appoint one of our own - build internal team bond that’s not influenced by the outside world - it’s actually the broncos model where Bennett reigned supreme - funnily enough the only time we went outside the desired model we had real success w Bennett.

I really think the job is Mcgregors to lose . There is no other coach in the frame here at the moment and will only be if we are sitting outside the top 8 mid season. I also don’t believe McGregor will be re signed before Anzac Day match - this giving the board a chance to see how things are going in 2019. Looking outside in - players look happy.. can’t ask for more I suppose.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

The fact is the coaching model the board has always wanted to adopt has been to appoint one of our own - build internal team bond that’s not influenced by the outside world - it’s actually the broncos model where Bennett reigned supreme - funnily enough the only time we went outside the desired model we had real success w Bennett.

I really think the job is Mcgregors to lose . There is no other coach in the frame here at the moment and will only be if we are sitting outside the top 8 mid season. I also don’t believe McGregor will be re signed before Anzac Day match - this giving the board a chance to see how things are going in 2019. Looking outside in - players look happy.. can’t ask for more I suppose.

We are not losing sight .................. we are p!ssed that the board are even considering re-signing McGregor let alone doing it again ( at the start of the season or alike ) when we all know what happens from mid season onwards.

McIdiot will be resigned on or before Anzac Day.
History repeating itself.

Old Timer

Coach
I SAW THE BOYS FOUR DAYS IN 28 . DRAGONS CHANGE APPROACH TO FIND EXTRA 10 PERCENT

The St George Illawarra Dragons were 10 per cent behind the top sides in the competition last year, according to Paul McGregor.

Despite topping the table until round 16, and ultimately falling short of the preliminary finals by just a single point, the Dragons coach admitted he and his team weren’t prepared for the challenges they faced last year.

Sitting on a couch opposite Fox League’s Lara Pitt, McGregor said the end-of-season review clearly highlighted the areas they can better manage ahead of the upcoming season.

“Our contact [was a lesson we needed to learn]. We probably did too much contact in-season we’ve got to look after that a little bit better,” he told League Life.

“We’ve looked at our calendar in terms of travel, we’ve looked at the technical side of it, tactical, and how we can analyse games better.

“Then during the Origin period I think I saw the boys four days in 28 – where they’d done no team video during that period because they were sort of back to playing and then gone again.” “Our culture, and our leadership too,” he continued.

“We’ve been working on a rounded approach to try and improve 10 per cent on how we played last year, because when we did the review of 2018 we thought we were probably 10 per cent behind those top four sides for the journey of the competition even though we were in the top four for 20 rounds.”

As McGregor points out, he had five of his key men play in last year’s Origin series, and for Jack de Belin, Paul Vaughan and Tariq Sims it was only their first time.

He also explains that his players only had 38 games of finals experience between them before they destroyed the Broncos in the elimination final at Suncorp, and now they have 87.

“I think the experience the players got out of the finals that played for the first time [will only benefit us],” he said.

“The Origin experience, we had five guys play Origin when in previous years we only had one or two so we’ll be better for that, and our squad hasn’t got any weaker I think it’s got stronger.

“I think 2018 showed we’re not too far away. Our first back to back losses were in rounds 17 and 18 which is a really big improvement from 2018 which was over rounds seven and eight.”
FMD what a mental giant our coach really is and a long season ahead I suspect.
Can't wait for the 1st presser after we scrape over the line against a dud team let alone the presser he will give after a loss.
Loves to make an excuse and then tell everyone what he learnt from everyone else's mistakes.

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal

Correct re the structure..that's why Maguire/Cleary and others knocked us back....I woiuldn't be so sure about an extension happening after Anzac day..talks have been ongoing for months...which would suggest it may be done soon/already done.

possm

Coach
I have stopped blaming our coach for everything , Its the WANKERS that keep upgrading his contract .... Seems nothing has change with the Win partnership , in fact I think the Boys Club is even tighter now .....

The way the current Board is configured, it would take at least one vote from the St George Board Members to approve Mary's extension. In my opinion, the CEO's recommendation would play a significant role in this decision. This is why we need a cleanout of the St George side of the Board and why we should never appoint old boys to key management positions. The temptation to go along with old friends and continue on with voting blocks is very unhealthy for an NRL Club.

Nauseating...
Why does he need 5 years to find the missing ingredient.
If you read that article without knowing the history, you'd think we're a shoe in for the title in 2019.
Like always we are subjected to rationalization of failure and "success is 'round the corner" rhetoric by the club's spin doctors.

WOW

You should read your post mate.
You sound like a relative or a plant sponsored by the media champs at the club.