What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CNK off to the Raiders.

Rich102

Staff member
Promising Warriors utility Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad is leaving the club.

The 23-year-old, who signed from the Storm four years ago, announced his departure on social media last night.

Nicoll-Klokstad, who made seven NRL appearances during the 2017 season, is off to the Canberra Raiders.

His exit isn't completely unexpected but will be lamented by some fans.

Nicoll-Klokstad has always stood out for his professional attitude, encompassed by the way he adapted quickly when given his first grade chance in 2017.

He looked immediately at home, and had the priceless knack of being in the right place at the right time.ll-Klokstad, who is of Maori, Cook Islands and Norwegian descent, grabbed try doubles on three occasions, and left with the impressive record of seven tries from seven appearances.

He also averaged more than 100m per match in those seven games, and looked a player for the future.

But he didn't feature last season, with the emergence of Ken Maumalo and the superlative form of David Fusitu'a locking up the wing spots.

The arrival of both Peta Hiku and Gerard Beale at the start of last year always meant his chances were going to be limited, as the two Kiwi internationals pushed him down the queue for a centre spot.

He was seen as an emerging talent, but limited to grinding away in reserve grade.

But Nicoll-Klokstad had an X factor rarely seen in young players at the Warriors and will be hopeful of more first grade chances across the Tasman.

"It's simply a better opportunity for him," said Warriors football manager Brian Smith.

www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=12201885

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Best of luck to him. Did nothing wrong with us but as the article says he just seemed to be stuck behind a few other players in the pecking order. Guess this means Kata is polishing the other SK’s hood ornament....

Matua

Bench
Good for him, it must be galling watching Kata continually get selected and not get a look in.

Iafeta

Referee
There’s a fire sale at the Warriors.

All the best Charnze. Great young talent and an outstanding bloke.

Good kid. Good player. I understand the club's willingness to let him go. There way too many ahead of him despite him being okay himself. I think it probably came down to size in the end. I wish him all the best at the Raiders.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
FFS...

What other good player have we got?...because he might be next to leave.
Understand the sentiment but to be fair Smith, George and SK haven't got too much wrong in terms of letting players go the past couple of seasons.

Lolohea
Hingano
Vete
Lillyman
Erin Clark
Gubb
Tof Sipley
Matulino (tough one but feel he played better for us then what he has shown at the tigers)

I'd say all the above players haven't really gone on to bite us in the arse.

Will be interesting to see this year's crop though with SJ, Lino, Gavet and now CNK.

Looking back a couple of more seasons though, wish we would have kept Taukiaho and RFM, they have definitely kicked on

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Understand the sentiment but to be fair Smith, George and SK haven't got too much wrong in terms of letting players go the past couple of seasons.

Lolohea
Hingano
Vete
Lillyman
Erin Clark
Gubb
Tof Sipley
Matulino (tough one but feel he played better for us then what he has shown at the tigers)

I'd say all the above players haven't really gone on to bite us in the arse.

Will be interesting to see this year's crop though with SJ, Lino, Gavet and now CNK.

Looking back a couple of more seasons though, wish we would have kept Taukiaho and RFM, they have definitely kicked on
Of all those players you mentioned, Matulino was the hardest to lose. Even though he seemed to hit a form slump/plateau with us.

Iafeta

Referee
Be interesting to see how he goes with the Tigers this year without his Dad there. Looked a genuine reserve grader at times last year.

Yeah I agree. Although he can still put on a good hit every now and then.

Using the above footage showing Big Ben smash a small half is no feat at all. It sums him up pretty good actually. He occasionally turns up for the odd game but never lead the pack as he should of. His poor attitude got him to where he is. Glad to see the back of him as he never lived up to his potential on a consistent level.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Using the above footage showing Big Ben smash a small half is no feat at all. It sums him up pretty good actually. He occasionally turns up for the odd game but never lead the pack as he should of. His poor attitude got him to where he is. Glad to see the back of him as he never lived up to his potential on a consistent level.
Yeah fair point. Like I said before - with us, he either reached his peak in his rookie years or his form just slumped. I'm not saying we should of definitely held on to him. As a fan of his, it was just sad to see him go.

Spot tackles are a good defensive read and when you come up off the line like Ben did, you got a nail it or you put your D-line in sixes and sevens. The Tigers were also short of a defender on that side and so you can imagine the relief on the defenders drifting (i.e Benji). When you're out on that field, hits that jolt the heads of ANY player of the opposition can really lift a side. In that video, I was just saying that he can still put on a good shot, with a video to support what I'm saying. Anyone that follows the Warriors knows that he didn't just hit halves all the time lol. He rocked a lot of big boys too.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Ben is a lazy prick who could've been one of the best in the game but never had the desire to be so. Waste of size and ability.

And CNK is a genuinely great person, but I doubt hes much lost to us. Good finisher, not a ball carrier, and we seem to forget he was a turnstile on defence. Think he had one of the worst tackling efficiencies in the comp in 2017. Wasnt a big enough body to be a centre as he was in ISP either. Very good depth but as with all depth players you have to accept that if someone else gives them a better offer, they're gone.

Definitely wish him all the best, the fact he didnt quite make it here wasn't anything to do with attitude or application. Hope Sticky goes soon so he can play under a decent coach

BLN2

Juniors
Perham has taken his back up winger spot IMO. Plus you have either Beale or Hiku who will also be in reserve grade. Then you have the young Fijian fella who has massive wraps. Just too much competition for spots, can't blame him. Surprised Ashyford is sticking around this season, with Milne now there (although not 100% confirmed).

We're in the best position to pick up talent this season, exciting times.

Matua

Bench
Perham has taken his back up winger spot IMO. Plus you have either Beale or Hiku who will also be in reserve grade. Then you have the young Fijian fella who has massive wraps. Just too much competition for spots, can't blame him. Surprised Ashyford is sticking around this season, with Milne now there (although not 100% confirmed).

We're in the best position to pick up talent this season, exciting times.
I assume Ashyford is just happy picking up his cash while remaining in NZ as his missus wants to be here?

Why does it have to be either Beale or Hiku, maybe SK will get a bump on his head and accidentally drop Solomone Kata-Kearny Jr and before he gets to revert back he actually realises how average he is? (It's easy to dream).