What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

lingard

Coach
Yes. Multiple times.

I've been a fan since I saw him run out for our Flegg team.

That's good. It's just that a lot of people are wanking themselves over him, but they are just going by what other people have said. If you' ve seen him play, then I take your comments more seriously.

TheRam

Coach
Season depends on forwards. Sure the halves must play well but if forwards can steam roll others they will have more space and time to execute.

Best our packs produced isnt to dominate other teams pack but to hold there own or break even. Most times opposition packs beat ours. When we are able to match them we become a 50/50 chance of winning against most sides.
If our pack starts to dominate sides the way South's does we will be closer to 70% chance of winning the game.

Do we have the forwards?

I dont mind the look of the pack.
Alvaro has bulked up
Jnr goals should be origin
Tepai and Lane certainly have size and potential to become origin level.
Manu and Brown will never be origin level but capable of just below.
Terepo,Mannah always do a solid job.
Kafusi,Marata,Stefano are an unkown quantity. Imabine these 3 come in strong. It would transform our pack.

I like big players. So Ferguson, Taka in the backline adds to this. The jennings boys and Gutherson are not small. Brown is solid for a half. Moses becomes the only weakness physically.

Simple error free football, straight and hard with a good kick chase and just grind. Forget flashy football, this teams built for grinding ugly tough footy. Just need to pound away and wear teams down in the last 20mins.

I agree with this as you already know Hindy, but I expect our forwards, barring injuries, will be able to dominate this season or at least they will till they get a feel for what our halves(Moses) will be able to deliver. If our halves arn't up to it they(the forwards) as the rest of the team will drop off as usual. Thus why I feel the season only really hinges on how good Moses is?

It will all start and end with him. No pressure, right? That is why the big bucks generally go to the best players in his position. He needs to dominate and take the right option more times then not.

One of the things to look out for is when we have made a great attacking raid on one side of the field inside the oppositions quarter, what we do on the very next play as M. Johns pointed out last season, if a team takes the ball from there and attacks that very same side again, then they have blown it. When you have stretched the defense to all be shifting to that one side, then a good team will play the ball as fast as possible and then quickly spread the ball all the way to the other side of the field where the defense is now short and spread thin.

It is a very simple and an effective tactic that level headed footy players have learnt to exploit well, Moses and Norman last season struggled with this and obviously most other aspects as well last season. Will Moses show that he has what it takes? Little strategies like this will tell us a lot.

Eelementary

Post Whore
That's good. It's just that a lot of people are wanking themselves over him, but they are just going by what other people have said. If you' ve seen him play, then I take your comments more seriously.

I could be very, very wrong about him - but I truly believe he is exactly what we need.

Dare I say it - he reminds me of Keiran Foran: tough, great defender, supremely fit, a very good runner of the ball, and has a smart kicking game. His passing game is crisp, but his pass selection needs some tuning.

Then again, he's not even 19 yet, so I think we can cut him some slack.

Most impressive thing about Brown for me is his attitude - he is cool under pressure, and a genuine leader.

Barring Kyle Schneider's rise through the ranks (another kid I have a massive opinion of), Dylan Brown could be our captain in five years' time.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I agree with this as you already know Hindy, but I expect our forwards, barring injuries, will be able to dominate this season or at least they will till they get a feel for what our halves(Moses) will be able to deliver. If our halves arn't up to it they(the forwards) as the rest of the team will drop off as usual. Thus why I feel the season only really hinges on how good Moses is?

It will all start and end with him. No pressure, right? That is why the big bucks generally go to the best players in his position. He needs to dominate and take the right option more times then not.

One of the things to look out for is when we have made a great attacking raid on one side of the field inside the oppositions quarter, what we do on the very next play as M. Johns pointed out last season, if a team takes the ball from there and attacks that very same side again, then they have blown it. When you have stretched the defense to all be shifting to that one side, then a good team will play the ball as fast as possible and then quickly spread the ball all the way to the other side of the field where the defense is now short and spread thin.

It is a very simple and an effective tactic that level headed footy players have learnt to exploit well, Moses and Norman last season struggled with this and obviously most other aspects as well last season. Will Moses show that he has what it takes? Little strategies like this will tell us a lot.
How do you feel about Moses’ form in 2017 (and for the Tigers the year before)?

2018 was Moses’ worst season since he came into first grade. Is there any reason to think this is the new normal? It’s not like he’s a 32 year old who’s suffered a major injury. He lost form not ability.

ram raid

Bench

2018 was Moses’ worst season since he came into first grade. Is there any reason to think this is the new normal? It’s not like he’s a 32 year old who’s suffered a major injury. He lost form not ability.

I think they should make him captain. He's the man they've gone with they might as well put all their chips in.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Dylan Brown has played on TV at least four times. But is that enough times to really know his potential? We've all seen juniors capable of carving up but who never even made junior rep teams much less became first graders. Far more reliable (though obviously no guarantee of future outcomes) is looking at when he hit his benchmarks.

Dylan Brown played SG Ball at 16 (and won the comp), NYC at 17 (and played in a grand final), reserve grade at 18. Plus he's been picked in every rep team he was eligible for. Now it looks like he could play first grade before his 19th birthday in June. These are very early benchmarks for a player, and far more telling than the opinions of a couple of nuffies watching at Ringrose or on telly.

I saw Brown play under 20s and reserve grade and while he was good he never stood out. But the reason for this is because he was usually the youngest player on the field. I don't expect him to seem very impressive this year either. He is turning 19 ffs. That's the impressive bit. Like Nathan Cleary's first couple of seasons in the NRL. He's done nothing special as a playmaker, always playing second fiddle to someone better, but it's been super impressive because of his youth. Solid defence and goalkicking increase his value. I'm expecting similar from Brown, minus the goalkicking.

I would feel the same even if I'd never seen him play.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Dylan Brown has played on TV at least four times. But is that enough times to really know his potential? We've all seen juniors capable of carving up but who never even made junior rep teams much less became first graders. Far more reliable (though obviously no guarantee of future outcomes) is looking at when he hit his benchmarks.

Dylan Brown played SG Ball at 16 (and won the comp), NYC at 17 (and played in a grand final), reserve grade at 18. Plus he's been picked in every rep team he was eligible for. Now it looks like he could play first grade before his 19th birthday in June. These are very early benchmarks for a player, and far more telling than the opinions of a couple of nuffies watching at Ringrose or on telly.

I saw Brown play under 20s and reserve grade and while he was good he never stood out. But the reason for this is because he was usually the youngest player on the field. I don't expect him to seem very impressive this year either. He is turning 19 ffs. That's the impressive bit. Like Nathan Cleary's first couple of seasons in the NRL. He's done nothing special as a playmaker, always playing second fiddle to someone better, but it's been super impressive because of his youth. Solid defence and goalkicking increase his value. I'm expecting similar from Brown, minus the goalkicking.

Brown is a goal kicker and that should be encouraged. Get Halligan on board.

TheRam

Coach

Yes 2018 was his worst season, but besides 2017 being his best ever season, he need more then 3/4 of a season of fairly consistent footy to run our footy side this year from the get go with mature leadership and direction that will create a winning team that everyone in the club and out will be wanting and expecting from him.

Don't forget how inconsistent he has been throughout his whole career and how much a lot of the Tigers fans criticized him mercilessly for it, not to mention the media. No one is saying he hasn't ability, again crapping on to win your point of view. Stop with the misdirection mate. The guy needs to step up or else the season will be a bust. Guaranteed.

Avenger

Immortal
Tim Smith was the best 7 I ever saw in the lower grades. He was phenomenal. And in 2005 was the best rookie by a country mile. Pretty sure he had the most try assists in 2005 which is incredible for a rookie.

hindy111

Post Whore

Nathan Cleary has played origin also. I dont see him as better then Mitchel Pierce. In 20s he was a star but there was a lot of other guys who looked every bit as good.
Tyrone May was one of them.

The biggest indicator for D.Brown is warriors where sniffing. Is he the best young half to make debut in 2019? Perhaps but the Flannagan kid seems to have all the town talking.

hindy111

Post Whore
Tim Smith was the best 7 I ever saw in the lower grades. He was phenomenal. And in 2005 was the best rookie by a country mile. Pretty sure he had the most try assists in 2005 which is incredible for a rookie.

I never saw him in lower grades. Best lower grade player I sae was Jamie Lyon. WoW. What he did just made half the stadium stand up. He was that special, One of the clubs biggest ever losses. I rate him up there with Hayne as far as best players thsst come through the club.

T.Smith had a great debut season. But other teams started to work him out. They ran forwards at him and waited for his cut out pass cause he couldn't run the ball and even if did was slow as a wet weekend. I think he could of been a good half but he had a lot of faults as well. In todays game I would chose Moses over T.Smith.
Halves that cant run do not excite me.

Avenger

Immortal
Lyon was amazing. I once saw him carve up in a lower grade game against St George and was in awe.

I still think Tahu in 2007 was as good as anything I’ve seen including Hayne in 09 and 14.

Gronk

Staff member
Lyon was amazing. I once saw him carve up in a lower grade game against St George and was in awe.

I still think Tahu in 2007 was as good as anything I’ve seen including Hayne in 09 and 14.
Agree on Tahu. We definitely saw him at his best.

Then that origin racism brouhaha and his career suddenly nosedived.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
I’m apprehensive but as excited as ever. f**k I love this team:heart:
That's the best thing I've read for weeks. And I agree on Lyon. My brother played lower grades with him and he was a gun. I was more cut about him leaving than any other Parra player ever, especially in the circumstances of happened.

Incorrect

Coach
Barring Kyle Schneider's rise through the ranks (another kid I have a massive opinion of), Dylan Brown could be our captain in five years' time.
Gonna be hard to captain us when he's playing for the Warriors 5 years from now.... Coach Griffin has already given him permission to leave for season 2020 if he gets an offer.....

Eelogical

Referee
Gonna be hard to captain us when he's playing for the Warriors 5 years from now.... Coach Griffin has already given him permission to leave for season 2020 if he gets an offer.....

hA5EC90E7