What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hunt

MILEY CYRUS

Juniors
Not many broncos fans on this forum. Maybe they prefer Instragram where they can post dumb insults towards players. They deserved everything they got on Sunday.

gregstar

Referee
there aren't many drongo fans who frequent these message boards.

but some of them are pretty cool!

blaza88z

Coach
Not going to rub salt in because I know it's still very fresh and i'm not that kind of guy but Ben Hunt..

Bennett knew exactly what he was doing when he opted not to try and re-sign him for the price tag he was seeking before he went to the Dragons, million dollars per season isn't "development player" money, Ben Hunt is very much still developing as a player and last night was case and point of what you get with Ben, the guy has still never kicked a field goal, he becomes a passenger when the team needs him to be the ice man, he needs Widdop in that side more than Widdop needs Hunt

In the past 3-4 years there have been some brain dead plays by players in all teams at some stage but unfortunately (for us and now the Dragons), Ben Hunt is responsible for 2 of those, one of them will go down in folklore as the biggest f**k up of all time, it also cost us a premiership and not just the dropped ball, he also gifted them field position to score the try that levelled the scores. The other being his decision to run the ball with scores level, 1 minute to go with one of the best field goal kickers on the other team, Dragons got desperate and threw the bank at Hunt and I know how good he is, I know what a great player he can be.. but the fact is, he's not there yet and last night only furthered my opinion that he can't be your goto guy when the game is on the line in final moments and a million dollars a year.. that's a problem

You beat us last week and I was one of the first to congratulate Dragons fans for that win, they were better all across the park and we deserved nothing less but you should have won last night as well, you were the better team but ultimately a couple of f**k ups in the final 10 minutes cost your team the game

Bronco18

Juniors
Not going to rub salt in because I know it's still very fresh and i'm not that kind of guy but Ben Hunt..

Bennett knew exactly what he was doing when he opted not to try and re-sign him for the price tag he was seeking before he went to the Dragons, million dollars per season isn't "development player" money, Ben Hunt is very much still developing as a player and last night was case and point of what you get with Ben, the guy has still never kicked a field goal, he becomes a passenger when the team needs him to be the ice man, he needs Widdop in that side more than Widdop needs Hunt

In the past 3-4 years there have been some brain dead plays by players in all teams at some stage but unfortunately (for us and now the Dragons), Ben Hunt is responsible for 2 of those, one of them will go down in folklore as the biggest f**k up of all time, it also cost us a premiership and not just the dropped ball, he also gifted them field position to score the try that levelled the scores. The other being his decision to run the ball with scores level, 1 minute to go with one of the best field goal kickers on the other team, Dragons got desperate and threw the bank at Hunt and I know how good he is, I know what a great player he can be.. but the fact is, he's not there yet and last night only furthered my opinion that he can't be your goto guy when the game is on the line in final moments and a million dollars a year.. that's a problem

You beat us last week and I was one of the first to congratulate Dragons fans for that win, they were better all across the park and we deserved nothing less but you should have won last night as well, you were the better team but ultimately a couple of f**k ups in the final 10 minutes cost your team the game

Absolutely all of that is true.

Unfortunately that development player point could be made about Milford as well.

blaza88z

Coach
Absolutely all of that is true.

Unfortunately that development player point could be made about Milford as well.

I agree, Milford contradicts my argument but I can say with confidence Milford improved significantly this year, I could see him becoming more a game managing half as the season progressed.

Milford is 4 years younger, he's shown on numerous occasions he can come up with the big play when we need it

Nerd

Bench

You nailed it.

billygilmore

Juniors
Not saying Hunts last play was the right play but if the guy he passed it to shifted it quickly they did have a massive overlap on the outside, would they have scored? Who knows but the ball would have at least ended up a good 30 - 40 Mtrs down field I’d imagine

As a Dragons diehard I reluctantly agree with you @blaza88z. Hunt was a knee jerk buy by our incompent recruiting team.. borne out of frustration at our club's inability to produce a quality half back since the likes of Haddock or Slippery Morris. That is several decades ago. For someone that came to the Dragons with a good reputation.. Hunt has let us down. We needed him to stand up and take the reins when Widdop got injured so we did not limp into the finals. For such an experienced footballer.. Hunt has an ordinary kicking game, is a speed bump in defence, his passes often go stray while he lacks creativity with ball in hand. I could count on one hand the times this season Hunt has put a player into a gap. His only saving grace is when he takes the ball to the line. In short, he is incapable of taking a game by the scruff of the neck when the chips are down.This bloke, I am sorry to say, is not worth a third of his obscene salary.

Last edited:

renouf

Juniors
Hunt still made the Dragons a better side this year, they will likely have a good season next year and Hunt may be better

Fair post.

Can’t argue with any of that.

Regarding being a development player, perhaps. I suppose we are hoping that he develops rapidly and those last few years seem a bargain.

RedVee

First Grade

I can’t really argue unfortunately, and I must say I was astounded when I read that Hunt has never kicked a FG field goal.

On the run instead of kick; there was a 3 man overlap so I get it. But he seemed to panic a little and pushed a pass to the lead, or decoy, runner Kurt Mann. He should have gone out the back to Field. Of course, Field may not have been in position which may have forced the issue.
50/50 I think. Generally in 90% of cases you just kick it in that situation.

Big Pete

Referee
It was disappointing to hear about Ben Hunt's struggles.

There is no mystery or magic on or off switch when it comes to Hunt, what you see is what you get. An instinctive player with a quality running game and passable skill-set. When Hunt plays eyes-up football, he's one of the best players in the competition and his instincts are usually correct. The problem is he doesn't possess the passing nor the kicking game to pull off what he wants to do on a consistent basis.

So often when you watch Ben Hunt, you can see what type of game you're going to get based on his body language. If Hunt's energetic and in the moment, he's bound to have a good game. If he begins to react to his bad-plays and starts rocking his head back, it's the exact opposite. That's when he begins to doubt himself and suddenly he'll begin having second thoughts and it'll show in his play. Suddenly his kicks are being ricocheted because he took too long to make the kick. Or he'll decide to run the football because he doesn't trust his kicking game enough to get a desired result.

What annoys me about the media is that they built him up just to tear him down. Ben Hunt in 2018 wasn't playing better than we saw in Ben Hunt in 2017. He just happened to have a better halves partner and one of the best forward packs in the game, so his faults weren't so readily obvious. When the Dragons began to struggle, Hunt's flaws started becoming obvious and he couldn't inspire his team mates.

Ordinarily after a 30-point demolition and an inspiring 1-point loss, I'd say the Dragons finished the year with a ton of class. However, all of that was over-shadowed by that one play from Hunt. It exposed a moment of weakness that every fan in the back of their mind knew Ben Hunt possessed and may have spelled the end to whatever premiership plans the Dragons had in the next 5 years.

In that situation, I feel for Hunt because it's easy to see what was running through his mind. If he puts in a clearing kick, the Souths back three likely race it out to their 40m line and ensure Reynolds will get a shot. On the other hand, if Hunt does the unexpected, plays the numbers, they could either score or turn the ball over deeper inside the South Sydney half. The logic was there, it was just the decision to hit the flat-runner that ruined the play.

I hope for Hunt's sake he can recover from this.

some11

Referee
On the other hand, if Hunt does the unexpected, plays the numbers, they could either score or turn the ball over deeper inside the South Sydney half. The logic was there, it was just the decision to hit the flat-runner that ruined the play.

For some reason people think he intended to throw a cut out pass to the winger, he only ever had the time for the gears to grind over in his head to pass to Mann.

Drakon

Juniors
For some reason people think he intended to throw a cut out pass to the winger, he only ever had the time for the gears to grind over in his head to pass to Mann.
It wasn't a cut out pass to the winger but a ball to Field that people are talking about. Field was behind and a little outside Mann. Mann didn't have time to pass safely before being tackled. If Field had got the ball, with his speed, who knows how far he would have gotten. Brilliant if this had come off but the percentage play was to kick downfield.

Nerd

Bench
Be interesting to see how Ben Hunt goes against the Broncos this year without an intimate knowledge of their plays.