What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The fourth bench spot......

Overseas dragon

Juniors
An enterprising coach might have Dufty as the cover for Cam McInnes with Widdop moving back into the halves, and Hunt hooker for 10 to 15 minutes. The other option might be Robson ,or do we have 4 big boys. Well guys I like the first option, I realise if we don't play Robson we might lose him .????? What's the consensus ... ...

nontime111

Juniors
I must be Robson

3 big bodies and some wildcard attacking relief for Mcinnes who struggled to go 80 in a lot of games last year

my bench:
Korbin
Leilua
Latimore
Robson

Old Timer

Coach
I must be Robson

3 big bodies and some wildcard attacking relief for Mcinnes who struggled to go 80 in a lot of games last year

my bench:
Korbin
Leilua
Latimore
Robson
Latimore FMD you surely are kidding aren't you?
Lawrie doesn't rate with you and you have no interest in finding out how Host has developed?
Even if JDB is a scratching Latimore shouldn't be in contention.

dragon thomo

Juniors
I agree old timer if we are serious contenders latimore will not be in first grade. I for one was surprised how well latimore went last year but he should only be a stop gap forward for us. If the younger players cannot get in front of him this year they need to be let go.

Old Timer

Coach
I agree old timer if we are serious contenders latimore will not be in first grade. I for one was surprised how well latimore went last year but he should only be a stop gap forward for us. If the younger players cannot get in front of him this year they need to be let go.
The argument re Latimore really irks me.
  1. Is he a good bloke? By all accounts a great fellow
  2. Would he get the same gig with another top 8 team? Not likely.
  3. Can he teach anyone in the 1st grade squad anything by playing with them? No
  4. Can he teach and mentor young blokes in reggies? Definitely
  5. If people think we can win the comp this year, then to have Latimore on their bench they must think we can't win the premiership without him being there. So that beggars the question who believes that Latimore can make the difference between winning or losing a premiership? Not me
  6. Latimore is on a 1 year contract, not likely to be retained next year and if people don't think he will make the difference between in winning or losing the comp then why the f**k would you pick him? Mystifying IMO
  7. The pro Latimore people will then say, if Latimore is not picked do I think the player in front of him will make the difference between winning or losing the comp? The answer is I don't know but I am certainly willing to find out and if they don't do it this year they might just do it next year and that won't happen with Latimore.

gitano

Juniors
Lattimore is a teriffic player and a must in the 17 each week, hence he will be.

If you don't truly understand rugby league though, I can see how you'd think otherwise.

possm

Coach
An enterprising coach might have Dufty as the cover for Cam McInnes with Widdop moving back into the halves, and Hunt hooker for 10 to 15 minutes. The other option might be Robson ,or do we have 4 big boys. Well guys I like the first option, I realise if we don't play Robson we might lose him .????? What's the consensus ... ...

Many on here trying to fit Dufty in anyway possible. In my opinion Dufty's best position is fullback and the solution is for him to address his skill problems, build up his muscle mass and demand selection as first grade fullback through outstanding form in ISP.

Like Dean Young, Robson is the natural fit for the 14 jumper. He would add a new dimension to the attack when coming on to relieve McInnes.

The speed missing while Dufty is in ISP will only be replaced with the selection of two very big and fast wingers, otherwise I am afraid that Mary will have to rely on something other than speed to ignite the Dragons attack.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Many on here trying to fit Dufty in anyway possible. In my opinion Dufty's best position is fullback and the solution is for him to address his skill problems, build up his muscle mass and demand selection as first grade fullback through outstanding form in ISP.

Like Dean Young, Robson is the natural fit for the 14 jumper. He would add a new dimension to the attack when coming on to relieve McInnes.

The speed missing while Dufty is in ISP will only be replaced with the selection of two very big and fast wingers, otherwise I am afraid that Mary will have to rely on something other than speed to ignite the Dragons attack.
I do agree possm also with Pearson and ravalawa on the wings that's also a way of getting speed into our slow backline only if Periera and Lomax are the wingers with Aiken and Lafai we need an injection of speed....

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The argument re Latimore really irks me.
  1. Is he a good bloke? By all accounts a great fellow
  2. Would he get the same gig with another top 8 team? Not likely.
  3. Can he teach anyone in the 1st grade squad anything by playing with them? No
  4. Can he teach and mentor young blokes in reggies? Definitely
  5. If people think we can win the comp this year, then to have Latimore on their bench they must think we can't win the premiership without him being there. So that beggars the question who believes that Latimore can make the difference between winning or losing a premiership? Not me
  6. Latimore is on a 1 year contract, not likely to be retained next year and if people don't think he will make the difference between in winning or losing the comp then why the f**k would you pick him? Mystifying IMO
  7. The pro Latimore people will then say, if Latimore is not picked do I think the player in front of him will make the difference between winning or losing the comp? The answer is I don't know but I am certainly willing to find out and if they don't do it this year they might just do it next year and that won't happen with Latimore.

I think the arguement here is that Latimore will probably start the season for the first 2 games whilst Sims serves his suspension.

However, if he appears again after that, barring injury or suspension, then I would say a definite FMD!!!.

Further, the whole bench makeup will only be determined upon the JDB preceedings. Then we play the IF game.

My bench (as it stands).
K. Sims (latimore for 1st 2 games)
Lawrie
Leilua (if JDB suspended then Hist to right edge and Friz to lock)
Robson

Forward fatigue was the big issue, especially last season, and Robson allows for multiple oppirtunities to rest forwards during a game as he can cover hooker and 2nd row.

possm

Coach
I think the arguement here is that Latimore will probably start the season for the first 2 games whilst Sims serves his suspension.

However, if he appears again after that, barring injury or suspension, then I would say a definite FMD!!!.

Further, the whole bench makeup will only be determined upon the JDB preceedings. Then we play the IF game.

My bench (as it stands).
Lawrie
Robson

Forward fatigue was the big issue, especially last season, and Robson allows for multiple oppirtunities to rest forwards during a game as he can cover hooker and 2nd row.
It would be really great if we could get an idea of how the likes of Kerr, Timm, Backer and Lawrie are going in the off-season. I just think it is a big waste of opportunity to play Latimore in the absence of K Sims. If Mary is so inscure, maybe Latimore on the bench however, I really would not even do that. My forward pack for round 1 and 2 would be:

8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Graham
11. T Sims
12. Frizell
13. De Belin
14. Robson
15. Lawrie
16. Kerr/Timm/ Blacker
17. Leilua

If De Belin is out then Frizell to lock, Leilua to the run on side and Host to the bench.

Old Timer

Coach

My bench (as it stands).
Lawrie
Robson

If we start with Latimore regardless of K Sims or JDB it is still a massive FMD situation.
Starting the season conservatively will only reinforce that psychology especially if we win a couple of games early.
Mc Fookknuckle only needs the slightest invitation to stick with something conservative whilst everyone else knows it is flawed philosophy.
Start the season with a breath of fresh air and a new approach as there is plenty of time to alter it if need be but if we don't take the opportunity 1st up it will never happen later on.
Change forced by adversity is the methodology of our coach.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
If we start with Latimore regardless of K Sims or JDB it is still a massive FMD situation.
Starting the season conservatively will only reinforce that psychology especially if we win a couple of games early.
Mc Fookknuckle only needs the slightest invitation to stick with something conservative whilst everyone else knows it is flawed philosophy.
Start the season with a breath of fresh air and a new approach as there is plenty of time to alter it if need be but if we don't take the opportunity 1st up it will never happen later on.
Change forced by adversity is the methodology of our coach.

Whilst I agree with you OT the oppisite can also apply.
Start aggressively with some untried props such as Timm or Kerr, and we lose those games, may force McGregor into conservatism, and we will see more of the likes of Latimore and dare I say Allgood.
One thing is for sure us that our backup prop options are not good.

Old Timer

Coach
Whilst I agree with you OT the oppisite can also apply.
Start aggressively with some untried props such as Timm or Kerr, and we lose those games, may force McGregor into conservatism, and we will see more of the likes of Latimore and dare I say Allgood.
One thing is for sure us that our backup prop options are not good.
Nobody can be sure that they are not good because we are yet to see them in the top grade.
Kerr may in fact relish being amongst such a good pack whereas he is lost in the lower grade amongst mediocrity with a lack of leadership.

DragonJ

Juniors
Latimore FMD you surely are kidding aren't you?
Lawrie doesn't rate with you and you have no interest in finding out how Host has developed?
Even if JDB is a scratching Latimore shouldn't be in contention.
Latimore is on minimal money, has a simple job to do and does it well. It's only a question of whether one of the guys you mention can do it better. IMO it's a tough question. I tend to think they can (do Latimore's job better than Latimore) but it's certainly debatable.

As for your hyper aggression, I think takes away from your otherwise flawless morals. Did you go to church today?

Old Timer

Coach
Latimore is on minimal money, has a simple job to do and does it well. It's only a question of whether one of the guys you mention can do it better. IMO it's a tough question. I tend to think they can (do Latimore's job better than Latimore) but it's certainly debatable.

As for your hyper aggression, I think takes away from your otherwise flawless morals. Did you go to church today?
You are really are not very bright.
You keep referring to "morals" as if I was the one who introduced it to our exchanges.
Go back and have a really good look at the posts between ourselves and you will see quite clearly that you made the initial moral comment which was in relation to De Belin.
in respect of going to church no I didn't nor do I have any need to.
So bak to the Latimore question where you like many others introduce the argument of "he is on minimal money" as some form of justification for his repeated selection.
I don't care how much money he is on I firmly believe we have far better options to explore and it astounds me that doesn't happen and what astounds me more is people are too frightened to lose a game or 2 to bother to find out and in the meantime we lose a few games anyway.