What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mary contract extension talks start

giboz71

First Grade
The extension discussion was always going to take place when the 5 most obvious NRL candidates that were open to a coaching move - Bennett, Siebold, Cleary, Hasler, Maguire all got locked up elsewhere at the end of last year.

There is no obvious replacement now unless we're talking about Barrett, Griffin or even Neil Henry, none of those 3 really excite me to be honest. We can look to Super League and consider guys like Tony Smith, Shaun Wane or Justin Holbrook perhaps. Assistants like O'Brien, Dymock, Taylor or Demetriou might be a possibility?

Any of those blokes could be a better option than Mary for sure, but none are a sure thing which is exactly what the Board will say.

So given the way our management think, Mary gets the gig again by default unfortunately.

The extension discussion was always going to take place when the 5 most obvious NRL candidates that were open to a coaching move - Bennett, Siebold, Cleary, Hasler, Maguire all got locked up elsewhere at the end of last year.

There is no obvious replacement now unless we're talking about Barrett, Griffin or even Neil Henry, none of those 3 really excite me to be honest. We can look to Super League and consider guys like Tony Smith, Shaun Wane or Justin Holbrook perhaps. Assistants like O'Brien, Dymock, Taylor or Demetriou might be a possibility?

Any of those blokes could be a better option than Mary for sure, but none are a sure thing which is exactly what the Board will say.

So given the way our management think, Mary gets the gig again by default unfortunately.
Pretty piss poor way to plan your coaching appointments.
The Board's perseverance with McGregor is more about them not admitting they made a mistake in the first place.
Should they do that and, for example, we don't do well in 2019, they should all resign. They have been grossly negligent in their duties.
Whatever the case, no renewal is justified until the end of 2019.
If they renew now and things go pear shaped, where does that leave us?

Crush

Coach

Even if Bennett, Bellamy and Seibold were available right now the Dragons would still be signing Mary. The board are quite happy with him. I think he is very very lucky that Millward had done such a stellar job with recruitment.
Imagine how he would go with a weak roster!
This 2019 roster is pretty handy minus a couple of outside backs. Surely even Mary can make a go of this if he makes some tough calls like dropping lafai back to park footy.

giboz71

First Grade
Even if Bennett, Bellamy and Seibold were available right now the Dragons would still be signing Mary. The board are quite happy with him. I think he is very very lucky that Millward had done such a stellar job with recruitment.
Imagine how he would go with a weak roster!
This 2019 roster is pretty handy minus a couple of outside backs. Surely even Mary can make a go of this if he makes some tough calls like dropping lafai back to park footy.

Weill, 2018 proved that with a good roster he's capable of making the 8, and perhaps win a finals game. But that's the best we can hope for to be honest.

Unless he Bradbury's a premiership if everyone else falls over?

Crush

Coach
Weill, 2018 proved that with a good roster he's capable of making the 8, and perhaps win a finals game. But that's the best we can hope for to be honest.

Unless he Bradbury's a premiership if everyone else falls over?
It depends a bit on how Norman, Hunt and Widdop play.
Hunt started well but fell over after origin last year. If he can find some confidence and have a ripper season and Norman and Widdop stay fit all year and gel together then surely even Mary can win a comp with those 3 and a mean pack of forwards?
A lot of ifs though......

Overseas dragon

Juniors
The Board's perseverance with McGregor is more about them not admitting they made a mistake in the first place.
Should they do that and, for example, we don't do well in 2019, they should all resign. They have been grossly negligent in their duties.
Dennis my insiders tell me the sports group that made offer to take over wanted too much control that's why WIN got the gig .long live the old boys club .seems money doesn't talk in this case.....

Como Connection

First Grade

Exactly, there are no standouts and Holbrook may want to stay in the ESL longer or want too much money.
Therefore by befault cheap Mary wins!
CC

getsmarty

Immortal
Dennis my insiders tell me the sports group that made offer to take over wanted too much control that's why WIN got the gig .long live the old boys club .seems money doesn't talk in this case.....

Correct...and it says it all....may end up being the death of our once great club.

WepnutV

Juniors
So you are happy for us to lose for 5 years in a row, slowly building, spending 7m a year and then as long as the coach is building his experience and self confidence, go on for another 5 years.

Wake up my dear, we are the Dragons. Once we were the very best for 11 years in a row. Now our only win in 30 years was when Bennett came and did it in TWO years. Exactly why we need a top grade coach, not an old boy who would like the fame of being a winning coach but does not have what it takes to get there.
n
You honesty think Mary can deliver a premiership ?
Serious question.

Is 5 years not long enough for you to see his limitations ?
i remember 5 years ago when we were rubbish and yes i beleive he will deliver a premiership

possm

Coach

I feel it is up to the CEO to guide the Board with sound, factual advice and that this advice be made public. Let's see where the road blocks are and do something about removing them.

BLM01

First Grade
I feel it is up to the CEO to guide the Board with sound, factual advice and that this advice be made public. Let's see where the road blocks are and do something about removing them.
Public...since when?. It is good to dream.
Possm..you need to get a job on the board if you want to find out the inner secrets of meetings and all the behind the scenes stuff you desire and be able to remove them.
Not even paying supporter members get jack.
I even think League Club members can not do anything directly re the Board of St George Illawarra on the current (governance - love that word) or structure.

possm

Coach
Public...since when?. It is good to dream.
Possm..you need to get a job on the board if you want to find out the inner secrets of meetings and all the behind the scenes stuff you desire and be able to remove them.
Not even paying supporter members get jack.
I even think League Club members can not do anything directly re the Board of St George Illawarra on the current (governance - love that word) or structure.
I'm a member of St George Leagues Club with full voting rights. The problem is that the whole system is rigged in such a way that the Board Members appoint delegates to the SGI Board.

It is time for the SGI Board to be more transparent and publish Board minutes. It is also time for the St George Leagues Club members to rise up and demand a say on who represents the Club on the SGI Board.

BLM01

First Grade
I'm a member of St George Leagues Club with full voting rights. The problem is that the whole system is rigged in such a way that the Board Members appoint delegates to the SGI Board.

It is time for the SGI Board to be more transparent and publish Board minutes. It is also time for the St George Leagues Club members to rise up and demand a say on who represents the Club on the SGI Board.
My point exactly. And how do you propose to get that all changed. You have to get on the board which I believe Doust is now gone back to being the Chairman of The St George Leagues Club board or something similar. Possm...it wont change in the near future