What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop seeks release

True_Believer

Juniors
Interesting to see the Mole and 'Joey Johns' sprooking the playmaker talents of Widdop while suggesting that Norman should be happy to wear the number 1 jumper in 2019. Opposition teams and those commentators who are always bagging the Dragons are terrified of the thought Norman would improve the playmaking role and Widdop would absolutely thrive in the fullback role at the Dragons.

I would suggest that if the Dragons could maintain their brick wall defence while at the same time have Widdop, Norman, Hunt two big fast wingers on the field, the Dragons would be even better than last season.

Of course Mary will need to change his ways by rotating the forwards - carrying a young up and coming prop on the bench each game and to manage the bench in a way that would provide maximum impact on the field while at the same time protect the forward pack from the devastating effects of fatigue.

I'd suggest that both would do their best in either position and it has nothing to do with commentators bagging the team.

DragonJ

Juniors
Interesting to see the Mole and 'Joey Johns' sprooking the playmaker talents of Widdop while suggesting that Norman should be happy to wear the number 1 jumper in 2019. Opposition teams and those commentators who are always bagging the Dragons are terrified of the thought Norman would improve the playmaking role and Widdop would absolutely thrive in the fullback role at the Dragons.

I would suggest that if the Dragons could maintain their brick wall defence while at the same time have Widdop, Norman, Hunt two big fast wingers on the field, the Dragons would be even better than last season.

Of course Mary will need to change his ways by rotating the forwards - carrying a young up and coming prop on the bench each game and to manage the bench in a way that would provide maximum impact on the field while at the same time protect the forward pack from the devastating effects of fatigue.
possm, the bottom line is they are making fun of us. We are so dumb that we take advice from rivals. I think Widdop will go very well at fullback and Norman with Hunt in the halves may well be the best halves combo in the competition. To swap them would be ridiculous. Widdop sux at 5/8, as we all know and Norman will suck at fullback. Therefore we should expect rivals to promote just that.

IMO it's not a problem rivals don't have our best interests in mind. That's to be expected. The problem is that they feel they can give us 'advice' and it will be taken into consideration. I can't even imagine McKnucklehead giving advice to Melbourne about where to play Munster or Souffs about where to play Inglis for example. If he did, he would be laughed at.

blacksafake

First Grade
There is no "pursuit of Widdop". Quite the opposite. As you can see in the last paragraph, even though I think he will do well at fullback, unless he were to accept a pay cut I'd have him playing in the ESL with a minimal payout from us or on his full salary playing in the ISP.

As for Andrew Johns, firstly what club is he employed by? Still Manly? Perhaps we could get DCE to give us advice as well.
And aside from that, Andrew Johns moral shortcomings are well known.

What has being employed by another club or morals got to do with someone having an opinion, except for the fact it differs with yours. Joey is probably the best in the modern era who would have a far better idea of a players ability than us.

DragonJ

Juniors
What has being employed by another club or morals got to do with someone having an opinion, except for the fact it differs with yours. Joey is probably the best in the modern era who would have a far better idea of a players ability than us.
Serious? You are just trying to get a rise out of me, right?

As for morals, when it comes to @Old Timer, morals must always be taken into consideration.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
There is no "pursuit of Widdop". Quite the opposite. As you can see in the last paragraph, even though I think he will do well at fullback, unless he were to accept a pay cut I'd have him playing in the ESL with a minimal payout from us or on his full salary playing in the ISP.

As for Andrew Johns, firstly what club is he employed by? Still Manly? Perhaps we could get DCE to give us advice as well.
And aside from that, Andrew Johns moral shortcomings are well known.
If he were to accept a pay cut. . You do realise he has a contract, the club must pay him according to said contract. Wherever he plays ,half, fullback, ISO, janitor.

DragonJ

Juniors
By the way DJ..Joey was working with the Roosters halves from 2016 including last year
Has some idea...more than you obviously re halves.
Well that's a good sign. Rorters are worried. He obviously has an excellent idea and he is obviously working for a rival and has such low regard for the intelligence of our staff that he thinks he can give us "advice" and we will take it into consideration. As I said, imagine McFooknuckle, Hornby or Dean Young giving Melbourne "advice" about where to play Munster, Souffs advice on where to play Inglis. Or even if he gave out wayward son over there at Newcastle advice on where to play to Ponga. He's be laughed at. Literally. But rivals can give us advice.....:rolleyes:
If he were to accept a pay cut. . You do realise he has a contract, the club must pay him according to said contract. Wherever he plays ,half, fullback, ISO, janitor.
Really? That is a very keen insight. Sometimes I feel I need to go out and buy crayons when dealing with some members on this forum.

He has a contract which can't be changed....... Unless both parties agree for it to be changed. The incentive would be to get a payout on top of his ESL contract or spend the year in the ISP. Very tough but this kind of ruthlessness is precisely what we need.

I don't mind Widdop at fullback at all. I think it's his best position by a long way. But the money he is on to play fullback is fascicle.
Dont worry OD.......tried to explain all that weeks ago but cant get through the maze!...
Your wasting your finger time.

Serious.....:rolleyes:

possm

Coach
Well that's a good sign. Rorters are worried. He obviously has an excellent idea and he is obviously working for a rival and has such low regard for the intelligence of our staff that he thinks he can give us "advice" and we will take it into consideration. As I said, imagine McFooknuckle, Hornby or Dean Young giving Melbourne "advice" about where to play Munster, Souffs advice on where to play Inglis. Or even if he gave out wayward son over there at Newcastle advice on where to play to Ponga. He's be laughed at. Literally. But rivals can give us advice.....:rolleyes:

Really? That is a very keen insight. Sometimes I feel I need to go out and buy crayons when dealing with some members on this forum.

He has a contract which can't be changed....... Unless both parties agree for it to be changed. The incentive would be to get a payout on top of his ESL contract or spend the year in the ISP. Very tough but this kind of ruthlessness is precisely what we need.

I don't mind Widdop at fullback at all. I think it's his best position by a long way. But the money he is on to play fullback is fascicle.

Serious.....:rolleyes:

I don't get it, Widdop's salary is already planned for under the cap and Norman's salary is subsidised by the Eels for 2019 giving the Dragons room to fit him under the cap. If we did not sign Norman for this season, it is likely another club would have picked him up if not for this year but for 2020 on - after Widdop moves on.

I'd say that the new coaching adviser has picked up the poor on-field management of the team and so supported the recruitment of Norman. In addition Widdop recently played fullback at the highest level - fullback for England in the recent World Cup. He played well. Nothing is permanent and so if things do not work out according to plan, there are plenty of options available.

DragonJ

Juniors
I don't get it, Widdop's salary is already planned for under the cap and Norman's salary is subsidised by the Eels for 2019 giving the Dragons room to fit him under the cap. If we did not sign Norman for this season, it is likely another club would have picked him up if not for this year but for 2020 on - after Widdop moves on.

I'd say that the new coaching adviser has picked up the poor on-field management of the team and so supported the recruitment of Norman. In addition Widdop recently played fullback at the highest level - fullback for England in the recent World Cup. He played well. Nothing is permanent and so if things do not work out according to plan, there are plenty of options available.
possm, I'm very optimistic about Widdop at fullback. But evidently fullbacks generally earn significantly less than playmakers. Widdop will be overpaid by some margin.
Widdop will kill it at FB
yeah but according to several posters here, we should follow the "advice" of rivals and play Norman at fullback or on the bench.

nontime111

Juniors
possm, I'm very optimistic about Widdop at fullback. But evidently fullbacks generally earn significantly less than playmakers. Widdop will be overpaid by some margin.

yeah but according to several posters here, we should follow the "advice" of rivals and play Norman at fullback or on the bench.
nah, Coreys strongest position is in the thick of it at 5/8th, with Hunt the childhood and QLD connection will gel youll see, Widdop will be left without the pressure to organise and will chime in all over the place were going to score a LOT of points with these guns in their right positions...Widdops a great player and natural footballer wholl adapt and rise to the new challenge Im nothing but excited!

Reactions: jak

Frank Facer

First Grade
nah, Coreys strongest position is in the thick of it at 5/8th, with Hunt the childhood and QLD connection will gel youll see, Widdop will be left without the pressure to organise and will chime in all over the place were going to score a LOT of points with these guns in their right positions...Widdops a great player and natural footballer wholl adapt and rise to the new challenge Im nothing but excited!
The best I have seen Norman play, was when he was wearing the number 7 on his back and playing halfback. I know that the number 6 and 7 can both play as the dominate playmaker. Last year I thought Blake Green played more as a halfback and Johnson more like a 5/8, even though Green was wearing the number 6 and Johnson the number 7.

possm

Coach
The best I have seen Norman play, was when he was wearing the number 7 on his back and playing halfback. I know that the number 6 and 7 can both play as the dominate playmaker. Last year I thought Blake Green played more as a halfback and Johnson more like a 5/8, even though Green was wearing the number 6 and Johnson the number 7.

Your right! These days it is a right field / left field thing. Either 6 or 7 can be first receiver and / or run the team.

Latest posts