What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mary contract extension talks start

blacksafake

First Grade
I'm a member of St George Leagues Club with full voting rights. The problem is that the whole system is rigged in such a way that the Board Members appoint delegates to the SGI Board.

It is time for the SGI Board to be more transparent and publish Board minutes. It is also time for the St George Leagues Club members to rise up and demand a say on who represents the Club on the SGI Board.
Hey Pos,
Is it not mandatory for Board minutes to be made public. This takes the whole boys club to a new level.

possm

Coach
Hey Pos,
Is it not mandatory for Board minutes to be made public. This takes the whole boys club to a new level.
I've never seen the minutes and would love some who is a lot closer to advise on that. However, the minutes do not always reflect discussion sometimes it is only the decision and who voted for it is in the minutes.

I'm the President/chair of a charity and the Vice President of another charity. Over the years I have been chairman on a number of boards, so the whole process is familiar to me. Our problem is a system has been set up on the St George Leagues Club side to hinder members ability to have a say in who represents St George on the SGI Board.

WepnutV

Juniors
2014 article
..We all know what he did as a player, he’s ticked all the boxes. ‘‘He was our inaugural captain, he led us to the 1999 grand final and he’s also played for NSW and Australia. ‘‘He’s got enormous support in the Illawarra region, he’s got the support of the current playing group and the respect of the current playing group.’’ Fairfax Media was told weeks ago of contact between Gold Coast representatives and Bennett but there had not been any progress after he was made aware of interest from the Broncos. Officials from both clubs denied there had been any approach to Bennett. Cartwright has two more years to run on his contract, meaning the Titans would have to pay him up to $1 million if they were to sack him. Some believe that money and the $1 million per season cost of hiring Bennett would be offset by the boost to the club’s profile he would ensure in the battle for corporate and public support with AFL’s Gold Coast Suns franchise. There are also understood to be sponsors who would sign up with whichever club Bennett coaches, including St George Illawarra. However, the cash-strapped Dragons have had to borrow more than $2 million from the NRL. The Steelers cannot contribute as much to the joint venture due to interest payments to WIN Corporation owner Bruce Gordon that were triggered after St George Illawarra breached a condition of a $6.3million loan to play six premiership games in Wollongong by moving two games to bigger venues in a bid to lift revenue. McGregor’s supporters say he would come a lot cheaper than Bennett, is a better long-term option and has a strong connection with fans and the local community after coaching Wests Devils to three consecutive premierships in the Illawarra Coal League before taking charge of Illawarra Cutters NSW Cup team two years ago. O’Connor, one of four Illawarra directors on the eight-man St George-Illawarra board, urged the club to look beyond the next three years and appoint McGregor to lead the club long into the future. ‘‘I think it’s important to look to the future and I think it’s important we do have a coach who can be long term,’’ O’Connor said. ‘‘I think for the stability of the Dragons and the consistency of the Dragons, we need a coach who can commit long term and nurture that production line of juniors.’’ He said McGregor had a passion for the club. ‘‘We have a large talent pool of juniors and to maximise that talent pool and to have NRL players coming through you need a long-term coach. ‘‘I can easily see, having been involved with him at theCutters, that he could be the next supercoach.

DragonJ

Juniors
shows how much you know.. never going to happen. unrealistic not to mention toovey hates st george
Toovey would be ok. Really doesn't matter how he feels about the club. He will be employed to get a job done regardless of how he feels.

we were heading for a wooden spoon untill mary came along
One day you will snap out of it.
A different coach would have had much improved results during the same period.
We were never, ever wooden spoon candidates.
This was a ploy by the club spin doctors to manage the fans' expectations and be happy with mediocre results touting them as over achieving.
You like others have been duped.

2014 article
..We all know what he did as a player, he’s ticked all the boxes. ‘‘He was our inaugural captain, he led us to the 1999 grand final and he’s also played for NSW and Australia. ‘‘He’s got enormous support in the Illawarra region, he’s got the support of the current playing group and the respect of the current playing group.’’ Fairfax Media was told weeks ago of contact between Gold Coast representatives and Bennett but there had not been any progress after he was made aware of interest from the Broncos. Officials from both clubs denied there had been any approach to Bennett. Cartwright has two more years to run on his contract, meaning the Titans would have to pay him up to $1 million if they were to sack him. Some believe that money and the $1 million per season cost of hiring Bennett would be offset by the boost to the club’s profile he would ensure in the battle for corporate and public support with AFL’s Gold Coast Suns franchise. There are also understood to be sponsors who would sign up with whichever club Bennett coaches, including St George Illawarra. However, the cash-strapped Dragons have had to borrow more than $2 million from the NRL. The Steelers cannot contribute as much to the joint venture due to interest payments to WIN Corporation owner Bruce Gordon that were triggered after St George Illawarra breached a condition of a $6.3million loan to play six premiership games in Wollongong by moving two games to bigger venues in a bid to lift revenue. McGregor’s supporters say he would come a lot cheaper than Bennett, is a better long-term option and has a strong connection with fans and the local community after coaching Wests Devils to three consecutive premierships in the Illawarra Coal League before taking charge of Illawarra Cutters NSW Cup team two years ago. O’Connor, one of four Illawarra directors on the eight-man St George-Illawarra board, urged the club to look beyond the next three years and appoint McGregor to lead the club long into the future. ‘‘I think it’s important to look to the future and I think it’s important we do have a coach who can be long term,’’ O’Connor said. ‘‘I think for the stability of the Dragons and the consistency of the Dragons, we need a coach who can commit long term and nurture that production line of juniors.’’ He said McGregor had a passion for the club. ‘‘We have a large talent pool of juniors and to maximise that talent pool and to have NRL players coming through you need a long-term coach. ‘‘I can easily see, having been involved with him at theCutters, that he could be the next supercoach.
I really don't see the relevance of regurgitating this article.
3 bush titles and 2 very ordinary years in ISP is not a good enough CV to coach the Mighty Saints long term.
O'Connor should have resigned years ago for his blind and misplaced support of McGregor.
So what if he has a passion for coaching.
So what if he was a great player and our inaugural captain.
That doesn't make him a great coach and should not give him any sort of saloon passage into the FG job.
Statements like "he could be the next supercoach" are a joke for all to ponder now.
5 years after this article was written it puts the whole coaching issue into perspective.
After having a dream, uninterrupted and board supported tenure for so long, he is still nowhere near being a super coach.
It is just sheer fantasy - McGregor has no pedigree as a coach.
Allowing him to learn on the job is just negligence on the Board's part.
FG is no place for apprenticeships to be served.

WepnutV

Juniors
JD - Bennett would release him if there was a FG gig on offer
Toovey - passionate and savvy. Very underrated.
Just two that would elevate us to another level.
jason demetriou head coach ummm no thankyou. any team takeing on JD as head coach is takeing a big risk. What do you know about JD that i dont, you must know something to think hes going to elevate us anywhere .. toovey is never going to coach dragons.. and you giveing us your opinion that hes underrated. meaning not too many people rate him shows hes prob not that good of a coach.... cmon a realistic awser would be great from the mary bashers??

Last edited:
jason demetriou head coach ummm no thankyou. any team takeing on JD as head coach is takeing a big risk. What do you know about JD that i dont, you must know something to think hes going to elevate us anywhere .. toovey is never going to coach dragons.. and you giveing us your opinion that hes underrated. meaning not too many people rate him shows hes prob not that good.... cmon a realistic awser would be great from the mary bashers??
Well thanks for that insightful retort.
My opinion means little but at least Toovey had runs on the board when he was shafted by Manly.
Our bloke has very few even after 5 years at the helm.
I don't bash Mary - I consistently point out his coaching CV/qualifications and how he was appointed as head coach of this mighty club in the first place.
Why don't you focus on the real issues instead of hiding behind the tired old "Mary Bashers" smoke screen.
As for Demetriou being a big risk...no where near as big as renewing McGregor for another 3 years.
The only thing I know about Demetriou is what he has achieved as a coach and the numerous successes that he has been involved in.
One of those with the Cutters, right under our noses.
You go ahead and belittle him all you like - I respect the fact that you too have an opinion.

possm

Coach
shows how much you know.. never going to happen. unrealistic not to mention toovey hates st george

It is not a matter of who because if it was, there were about 5 top grade coaches move to other clubs at the end of last season; all of which would have been a better option than Mary. It's all about factional deals which keep old boys employment in place not matter how they perform.

One day WIN will wake up after seeing the value of their shares quickly decline however, by then it may be too late. I say get rid of the hangers on, those with their snouts in the trough; Peter Doust, Craig Young, Ian Millward, Mary and all the others tied to the old boys club. Only then will SGI have a chance to realise it's full potential on and off the field.

Latest posts