What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of Origin

Crush

Coach
I hate it.
By round 2 of the NRL all the talk shifts to Origin 1 and what will the teams look like.
Who gives a toss, really!
It's an exhibition game that is overhyped and causes nothing but disruption to the stronger teams and gives the weaker teams a boost mid season.
Liked it when it meant something, now couldn't care less.
And I went last year to watch live. I was bored.

possm

Coach
I hate it.
By round 2 of the NRL all the talk shifts to Origin 1 and what will the teams look like.
It's an exhibition game that is overhyped and causes nothing but disruption to the stronger teams and gives the weaker teams a boost mid season.

I'd really like SOO to be held two weeks after the Grand Final each year. I believe that for those players involved, the idea of backing up after SOO is not good for their health and for the Club's that lose players to SOO it is very disruptive and sometimes very costly - when injuries occur or fatigue sets in.

BLM01

First Grade
I'd really like SOO to be held two weeks after the Grand Final each year. I believe that for those players involved, the idea of backing up after SOO is not good for their health and for the Club's that lose players to SOO it is very disruptive and sometimes very costly - when injuries occur or fatigue sets in.

Na. Leave post season for international. Cant ditch them and you cant do both. Players are already whining about burn out.

For me leave as it is!. I look forward to it and dont care how many reps we get. They comp stops for a week during and everyone usually takes 1 bye during the period.
It has been happening since 1980 so surely we are used to the disruption.
I do think the media over hype it starting talking about selections too early just like Coles & Woolies selling easter buns already and are running out of things to excite all the fans by rehashing the same highlights, same stories and interviewing the same legends.

The only change to the concept I thought about was making it 1 game..not best of 3

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
If I was selecting the NSW team, I would have penciled in

1 Tedesso
2 Addo Carr
3 T Trbojevic
4 Mitchell
5 Cotric
6 Maloney
7 Cleary
13 DeBelin
12 T Sims
11 Frizell
10 Klemmer
9 Cook
8 Vaughan

14 Pangai
15 Radley/Crichton
16 RCG
17 Paulo/Mclean/Fonua Blake/Lodge

King hit

Coach
I hate it.

You seriously found Game 2 one of the best Origin games played in recent years and the Blues sending the two heads home with their tails between their legs boring?

Jesus

gitano

Juniors
I hate it.
Spot on.

I have no issue with origin itself, and for the three games players should give everything for that jersey and their state.

But I hate how it drags players focus away from the team and to themselves for an ever increasing portion of the season.

The fact we're talking about it, and Freddy is talking selections in February says it all. It's becoming beyond a joke, like Coles putting easter eggs out on Boxing day.

WepnutV

Juniors
I hate it.
i can see were your coming from.... but its rugby leagues most watched game across the world. its played live to over 50 countries, png has a unofficial public holiday for origin where evry one goes nuts.. evry rugby league fan in the north of england stops what there doing to watch origin.. newzealand rugby fans who hate league, take the time to watch origin. AFL brainwashed victorians some how know what origin is.. do you think our $1billion tv rights deal would be what it is without origin? its great for rugby league but yes it messes up our comp... how to fix = dont have origin dureing the season.

Walpole

Juniors
It's too important to the game to scrap (especially with the cash it brings in), I'd prefer they played it three weeks in a row and put the NRL on hold during that period. Could also play some more Samoa/Tonga/PNG type games at the same time.

Brutalitops

Juniors
All it needs is a bit of tweaking, end of season would not be the answer.

Standalone weekends is the right direction. Plus two byes for the other two games isn't bad.

Yeah there's backing up still but it's getting better

Frank Facer

First Grade
Besides the stand alone rep weekend, I think they should play origin on Monday nights and have no games on the Thursday after it. That would give all players a minimum of 4 days between an origin game and their next club game.

hazzbeen

Bench
Yep it's all over the place with how Rep teams are selected . Use to love the days when Country was Country and City was City ... It gave the Country boys a taste of playing in a big arena and against the best . City teams would win most games but every now and then a star would emerge . For me now it means nothing ...

possm

Coach
All it needs is a bit of tweaking, end of season would not be the answer.

Standalone weekends is the right direction. Plus two byes for the other two games isn't bad.

Yeah there's backing up still but it's getting better

I'd rather see the competition start a week earlier, have NO BYES and be over 24 rounds with SOO following the GF in two weeks time. There would still be time for international games.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The 3 game format is what is now in question about state of origin. There are too many times when the series has been decided in the first two games leaving the third game as a nothing even though it's hyped as Redemption or clean sweep, it still doesn't have the same impact.
Personally, I'd like to see one game only played on a rotating basis between Queensland and New South Wales home grounds and played on a rep weekend with Pacific Island test. The rest of the competition has a bye weekend.
This will increase the expectation and actually increase a player's want to play as a member of an Elite group. One game to show your worth that's it.

ALSGI

Bench
I used to love it but lost a lot of interest over the last 10 yrs or so :sleepy:

f**kcing hate them Cane Toads. Hate the thought of Hunt, Norman and KSims might be a chance if playing for them if they fire up in the early rounds. f**kcing hate all their legends but Hodges and Tallis the most, Smith and Slater not far behind. f**kcing waankers.

I’d enjoy seeing the Sims brothers playing against each other in Origin. I’d really like to see Vaughan and JDB in a blues jumper again.

The whole concept should be scrapped, unless we kick ass for a few years :grimacing:

Go the Blues.

RedVDave

First Grade
I do agree I can't stand SOO it's almost as if it's the only thing the NRL gives a toss about, obviously it won't be scraped because as mentioned it generates far to much money here's the best solution IMO play it 3 weeks in a row say in the month of June, the first week every club team plays minus their SOO stars the second week every team gets a break and we have a rep round of SOO game 2 along I dunno the Jillaroos say, then in week 3 play it again and every team must play with their SOO backing up that way every club has to play minus their stars, gets a break and plays with them backing up also I would move it from a Wednesday to a Tuesday.

WepnutV

Juniors
I do agree I can't stand SOO it's almost as if it's the only thing the NRL gives a toss about, obviously it won't be scraped because as mentioned it generates far to much money here's the best solution IMO play it 3 weeks in a row say in the month of June, the first week every club team plays minus their SOO stars the second week every team gets a break and we have a rep round of SOO game 2 along I dunno the Jillaroos say, then in week 3 play it again and every team must play with their SOO backing up that way every club has to play minus their stars, gets a break and plays with them backing up also I would move it from a Wednesday to a Tuesday.
agree with evrything except the move from wensday to tuesday. why the day change?

Latest posts