What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mary contract extension talks start

Overseas dragon

Juniors
jason demetriou head coach ummm no thankyou. any team takeing on JD as head coach is takeing a big risk. What do you know about JD that i dont, you must know something to think hes going to elevate us anywhere .. toovey is never going to coach dragons.. and you giveing us your opinion that hes underrated. meaning not too many people rate him shows hes prob not that good of a coach.... cmon a realistic awser would be great from the mary bashers??
You really must be a complete idiot. If you don't believe Jason D is a very large upgrade on Mary Mary contrary and taking no E

possm

Coach
At least you've stopped "Mary Bashing"

There are many on here including myself who can't stand the way our Club has been acting in such an unprofessional manner with regards to Mary's appointment and subsequent extension.

In 2018 Craig Young and another official from SGI met with Bennett to discuss the possibility of coaching SGI in 2020. As was well reported, Bennett was interested in a 3 year deal starting in 2019 - Souths agreed to this terms.

Even if you are not a Bennett fan, I'm sure there a few on this forum who would declare that Mary is a better option than Bennett as our head coach. Of course, things like 'control of recruitment/pathways' albeit still run by Millward but with Millward reporting to Bennett would have also been a sticking point mainly because factional deals have be done with regards to this matter.

DragonJ

Juniors
You really must be a complete idiot. If you don't believe Jason D is a very large upgrade on Mary Mary contrary and taking no E

A complete idiot? Says one of the guys who thinks we should let rivals advise us:rolleyes:.

JD a risk? lol

More qualified than Mary ever was, or will be imo. He would be ideal.
I agree but he would most certainly be "a risk". I'm sure there is a reason he hasn't been offered a head coach position even though he has been on the fringe for quite a while now.

Someone mentioned Toovey. I'd lean more toward him over JD but I'd take either before McKnucklehead.

BLM01

First Grade
It is not a matter of who because if it was, there were about 5 top grade coaches move to other clubs at the end of last season; all of which would have been a better option than Mary. It's all about factional deals which keep old boys employment in place not matter how they perform.

One day WIN will wake up after seeing the value of their shares quickly decline however, by then it may be too late. I say get rid of the hangers on, those with their snouts in the trough; Peter Doust, Craig Young, Ian Millward, Mary and all the others tied to the old boys club. Only then will SGI have a chance to realise it's full potential on and off the field.
Possm....... you do know Doust has gone

TruSaint

Referee
Hollbrook? Why would he be an option? The ESL even makes Price looks like he can coach and that is saying something. I would stay away from ESL coaches for now and if they were to make a replacement go JD as others suggest.

JD, whilst a risk, would have been a worthy gamble.
People defending Mary forget or overlook that this is season 6.
I can understand if this was 2 or even 3 years in his tenure, where he s building his squad, developing juniors, tuning his coaching skills and so on.
Ive seen enough to suggest that Mary is not the coach to bring us success.

Old Timer

Coach
In regards to DragonJ now rambling on about the folly of us “taking advice” how is it then that Mc Fookknuckle would even consider Widdop to FB?
Somehow you expect others to believe that Mc Fookknuckle came up with that possibility all of his own account.
FMD you really are a rabbit in the headlights if you give our coach such credit and if you don’t think it was his idea do you think he is acting on advice to consider the option and if so from whom?

DragonJ

Juniors
In regards to DragonJ now rambling on about the folly of us “taking advice” how is it then that Mc Fookknuckle would even consider Widdop to FB?
Somehow you expect others to believe that Mc Fookknuckle came up with that possibility all of his own account.
FMD you really are a rabbit in the headlights if you give our coach such credit and if you don’t think it was his idea do you think he is acting on advice to consider the option and if so from whom?

You have just been hit with 2 moral demerit points. Firstly for your hyper-aggression and secondly, for seemingly addressing me but not quoting or tagging me. You are not any kind of moral colossus!

To the point at hand, I have never seen or heard rivals promoting Widdop's switch to fullback. I have seen them seemingly in a minor panic in regard to the likelihood of such a move.

I know yourself, @blacksafake , @TruSaint (not exactly a surprise) , @Crush, @True_Believer, the ironically named @getsmarty , and of course, the No.1 resident genius around here @muzby think we should look to our rivals for advice but surprisingly (fingers crossed) it seems our coaching staff have rejected their "advice" on the issue of where Norman and Widdop play this season.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Hire Robert Rip Taylor.....he's done more in bush football than this imposter and he can't get anywhere near first grade nrl coach.And he's got more football smarts and IQ than Mcfool ever will

Last edited:

Overseas dragon

Juniors
A complete idiot? Says one of the guys who thinks we should let rivals advise us:rolleyes:.

I agree but he would most certainly be "a risk". I'm sure there is a reason he hasn't been offered a head coach position even though he has been on the fringe for quite a while now.

Someone mentioned Toovey. I'd lean more toward him over JD but I'd take either before McKnucklehead.
maybe you can explain when i have ever discussed rivals advising us ...........just make it up as you go along DRAGONJOCK OR IS IT DRAGONJUVENILE, PERHAPS DRAGONJISM

Crush

Coach
You have just been hit with 2 moral demerit points. Firstly for your hyper-aggression and secondly, for seemingly addressing me but not quoting or tagging me. You are not any kind of moral colossus!

To the point at hand, I have never seen or heard rivals promoting Widdop's switch to fullback. I have seen them seemingly in a minor panic in regard to the likelihood of such a move.

I know yourself, @blacksafake , @TruSaint (not exactly a surprise) , @Crush, @True_Believer, the ironically named @getsmarty , and of course, the No.1 resident genius around here @muzby think we should look to our rivals for advice but surprisingly (fingers crossed) it seems our coaching staff have rejected their "advice" on the issue of where Norman and Widdop play this season.
Why have you quoted me here?
I have said from day 1 that Widdop should remain 6.
I'd play Norman at 14 BTW for the first few rounds to see how he looks and work out where he best fits in.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Why have you quoted me here?
I have said from day 1 that Widdop should remain 6.
I'd play Norman at 14 BTW for the first few rounds to see how he looks and work out where he best fits in.
Crush it seems Mr dragonjackass needs to go to spec savers as well as a shrink....pity.....

SEAT 1A

Bench
I'm sure there is a reason he hasn't been offered a head coach position even though he has been on the fringe for quite a while now

To be fair to DragonJ, it is true JD has been overlooked for the top job however, JD has performed very well with his teams.

It can't be not wanting to leave QLD and I suppose he has been overlooked by current first grade coaches. Bennett a great coach and McGuire a good coach but Siebold was an interest move by BNE as Souths struggled to beat us even when Simms got injured.

It may be timing, I hope JD time comes as it would be a shame if he has been left on the dock with the ship sailing away.

possm

Coach
To be fair to DragonJ, it is true JD has been overlooked for the top job however, JD has performed very well with his teams.

It can't be not wanting to leave QLD and I suppose he has been overlooked by current first grade coaches. Bennett a great coach and McGuire a good coach but Siebold was an interest move by BNE as Souths struggled to beat us even when Simms got injured.

It may be timing, I hope JD time comes as it would be a shame if he has been left on the dock with the ship sailing away.
I think JD has it as a coach; one day he will be a very good first grade coach. Unfortunately it seems when is comes to Club politics he falls short.

I must say Mary who is a bad coach, managed to out play JD on the political scene at the Dragons and JD's loyalty to Bennett was the beginning of the end at the Broncos.

I personally would have JD over Mary any day of the week as head coach of the Dragons however, after having two unsuccessful stabs at a rookie coach over the past 7 years, I would have rather gone for one of the 5 experienced coaches who were available at the end of last season.

Last edited:

DragonJ

Juniors

How good would it have to been to get Cleary when he was available? I'm not sold on McGuire. At the beginning of last season Souffs were widely tipped to be battling for the spoon. They had been in decline for...... (When was it they won the premiership? 3 years ago?) and had largely the same roster. No wonder BNE wanted Seibold.

Usually I would be in favor of signing JD but as @possm eludes to, rookie coaches haven't served us well. Also club insiders haven't served us well. Barrett is neither here nor there and Toovey is certainly neither.

But having said that, I'd prefer any of those 3 to McFooknuckle.

Latest posts