What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

unforgiven

Bench
I'll be there. My seats are at the back of section 118.

Im towards the back of 116

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...n/news-story/1c75e5f3826d127c3b6f0b5e98e9d423
Bulldogs and Bunnies in limbo over stadiums plan

Canterbury and South Sydney officials have requested an urgent meeting with NSW Opposition Leader Michael Daley as they seek clarity around his plans for ANZ Stadium in the lead-up to next month’s state elections.

The future of Sydney stadiums has become a political hot potato, Daley making it clear late last year that the Labor Party would scrap plans to rebuild Allianz and ANZ stadiums should they topple the Liberal government at the March 23 election.

That would be a blow to the Bulldogs and Rabbitohs, who are clinging to hope that ANZ Stadium will receive the refurbishment it desperately requires.

It would also jeopardise the agreement struck between the NRL and current state government to play grand finals in Sydney for the next 25 years.

The more immediate concern for both Canterbury and Souths is their own futures as they await the outcome of the state election.

Neither club can begin planning for 2020 until they know the election result — the current plan is for work to begin on ANZ Stadium after this year’s grand final — although their cause would be helped should they be able to arrange a meeting with Daley to gain a greater understanding of his plans for Sydney’s major sporting venues.

“We have asked for a meeting to clarify their position and how it may impact ANZ Stadium,” Canterbury chief executive Andrew Hill said.

“We have hundreds of thousands of fans and members who are all very keen to see what would happen.”

Canterbury and Souths are both tied to long-term deals at ANZ Stadium but it would be no surprise if they explored their legal avenues should Daley win the election and fail to honour the memorandum of understanding that was struck between the NRL and the current government.

Both clubs could look to move some or all of their home games to Bankwest Stadium, the $300 million state-of-the-art venue in Parramatta which is scheduled to open later this year.

Canterbury have already struck a deal to play one game at the freshly minted venue. They may look to take more at the ground if ANZ Stadium remains in its current state beyond the election.

Souths may also explore their options, the club having made a home in Sydney’s west, where a large chunk of their supporters now reside.

That would leave ANZ Stadium without a regular tenant.

Remarkably, Daley is a long-time Souths fan whose electorate is in the heart of Rabbitohs territory, yet his stance on ANZ Stadium threatens to hinder the side he supports.

Both the NRL and their clubs have much at stake. Redevelopment of Allianz and ANZ Stadiums was meant to be a game-changer for the code and its clubs, but the issue has become bogged down in politics.

Work has already begun at Allianz Stadium but its fate could yet lie in the hands of the courts as a community group presses ahead with attempts to stop its demolition.

The Sydney Roosters have already committed to playing this season at the SCG in anticipation of Allianz being knocked down and rebuilt under a $700 million plan.

The NRL was originally opposed to the concept, preferring to have the majority of the state government’s billions spent on ANZ Stadium. Their preference was to have Allianz rebuilt as a boutique stadium holding 30,000.

That bid ultimately failed as the state government decided to build a bigger stadium at Moore Park, while spending less on ANZ Stadium.

The NRL accepted that result through gritted teeth but they have made no secret of their resistance to Daley’s plans for the city’s major ventures.

Should Labor win government and fail to honour the MOU, the grand final venue will be back up for grabs.

Queensland and Victoria governments are waiting in the wings, the former having made no secret of its plan to bid for the grand final should it be put up for sale.

DlEHARD

Juniors
You can just imagine the great games of Rugby League that will be played at that ground, with packed stadiums. :D

Last Week

Bench
wondered if it meant they had sold a lot of seats seeing it was right up the back

I remember when I was given the option of moving my seats, pretty much every seat in the lower bowl was sold. The upper levels had sold about maybe a third. That was months ago too.

I think the stadium will look great almost every game.

So long as the members show up, it'll look like it's mostly full on TV.

meltiger

First Grade
^ thatll be the thing.

Even for the smaller games besides as you say it’ll look fine on tv, the atmosphere will still be good inside as well if you get most/all of the lower bowl full

Am I wrong mate?

Admittedly haven’t read the whole thread just going off those photos Suity posted which do look outstanding.