What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feud erupts over Dragons home ground naming rights

RedVDave

First Grade
Controversy erupts over Dragons' home ground naming rights

A nasty spat has emerged over the new naming rights sponsor of Kogarah Oval, prompting a motion to be moved at an extraordinary meeting of Georges River Council to terminate the current contract and reopen the tender.

Council announced less than two weeks ago that the Sydney home of the St George Illawarra Dragons would be called Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, after local company Network Strata Services won the tender.

The Herald has confirmed a tender process run by Georges River Council only managed to secure $81,000 a year for the naming rights.

In comparison, Southern Cross Group paid about $500,000 a year to have its name on the Cronulla Sharks' home ground at Woolooware, while Lottoland spent more than $1 million for naming rights at Brookvale Oval in a long-term deal.

An extraordinary meeting of Georges River Council was to be held on Monday night after a group of councillors demanded more information on the deal with Network Strata Services.

A councillor told the Herald they would move a motion on Monday night to terminate the contract immediately and reopen the tender.

Local businessman Norman Sarraf is at the heart of the complaint, claiming he was excluded from making a bid. Georges River Council denies this accusation.

The Herald has seen emails from Sarraf to Georges River Council in April 2018 asking to be kept informed of the expressions of interest process. The email was acknowledged, but Sarraf says he was never invited to bid.

Sarraf runs a competing strata company and is the NSW executive chairman of children’s cancer charity Camp Quality.

Sarraf insists he made individual councillors and the charity aware that his intention was to call Kogarah Oval Camp Quality Stadium if successful.

A council spokesperson said Sarraf did not advise council of his intention todonate the naming rights to Camp Quality until 28 days after council had already awarded it to Netstrata.

“I have a standing $100,000 offer – if the contract is cancelled that I will call it Camp Quality Stadium,” Sarraf said.

“All the hospitality boxes and catering packages will be donated to the kids and their families.”

Georges River Council said it would be unlawful to reveal how many parties expressed interest in the naming rights, how many made the shortlist, if Sarraf was accepted into the EOI process, and how much money the contract with Netstrata is worth.The extraordinary meeting was called at the request of three councillors to address a public complaint from Mr Norman Sarraf,” the council spokesperson said.

Netstrata has been contacted for comment.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/co...ml?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_feed

gitano

Juniors
Surely if it gets to Jan-Feb and you haven't received any information you ask questions.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
If a cess pool such as Brookvale Oval can command a price tag of a million, surely the council has seriously undervalued Kogarah Oval’s true worth? After all, the venue currently plays host to a number of suitors besides rugby league.

The counter offer from the other potential bidder (100k) is not inspiring either.

gitano

Juniors
We get around 20,000 members a year, right?

If everyone chipped in $5, we’d have $100k to buy the naming rights to Jubilee oval, and we could call it whatever the f**k we wanted..

Silverman Stadium has a great ring to it..
Muzby Megabowl or Stadium McStadiumface would get my vote

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
If a cess pool such as Brookvale Oval can command a price tag of a million, surely the council has seriously undervalued Kogarah Oval’s true worth? After all, the venue currently plays host to a number of suitors besides rugby league.

The counter offer from the other potential bidder (100k) is not inspiring either.

Could it be the idiot that wrote the tender forgot to insert a 'minimum dollar value bid' in the contract and those tendering woke up to it?

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
If I win the $20m lotto draw this weekend, I’m dropping $100k on getting the Muzby Megabowl to happen..

That’s awesome..

..... and if l win it, it will be called,
Poppa's Pizzas Panstadium!
Remember, get a free garlic bread with every Family Day Pass.
Everybody loves their Poppa!!!!

Last edited:

slippery5

Juniors

The counter offer from the other potential bidder (100k) is not inspiring either.[/QUOTE Fr
Their is only 5 home games played at Kogarah 2019, I wouldn't be putting anymore than $100k to advertise my business on that many games. As for Sharks & Manly, all their home games are played at the one venue, hence the marker value worth. As for other sports played on ground, lack of TV coverage diminishes their value.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Their is only 5 home games played at Kogarah 2019, I wouldn't be putting anymore than $100k to advertise my business on that many games. As for Sharks & Manly, all their home games are played at the one venue, hence the marker value worth. As for other sports played on ground, lack of TV coverage diminishes their value.

Are you seriously comparing the Dragons to lesser clubs such as Manly and Cronulla?

Lack of tv coverage? Both A League and (eventually) Super Rugby games are/will be televised through Fox Sports.

SBD82

Coach
That article said that there was corporate hospitality as part of the sponsorship deal.

So even just for the 5 games it's not terrible value.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
lets try some of these ,98metreslongstadium,.notrysfromkicksstadium ,maypremiersstadium,marymarycontrarystadium,nof**kinideastadium,3manbenchstadium,Lplatecoachstadium ......newcoachneededstadium,sackmarystadium...............just to name a few suggestions

Gareth67

First Grade
Netstrata ? By all that is ‘oley ! The name reminds me of that foul tasting bluudy Nescafé bluudy coffee - always gave me the runs that muck . As long as the Dragons win their matches they can call it what ever they damn well like , after all what’s in a name ? Dunedoo :flushed:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
lets try some of these ,98metreslongstadium,.notrysfromkicksstadium ,maypremiersstadium,marymarycontrarystadium,nof**kinideastadium,3manbenchstadium,Lplatecoachstadium ......newcoachneededstadium,sackmarystadium...............just to name a few suggestions
Aitken Arena

possm

Coach
We get around 20,000 members a year, right?

If everyone chipped in $5, we’d have $100k to buy the naming rights to Jubilee oval, and we could call it whatever the f**k we wanted..

Silverman Stadium has a great ring to it..

Or the club could up their membership fee and use the extra funds to name the ground Jubilee Oval.

I grew up with our home ground being known by this name -except of course for match of the round on Saturday afternoons at the SCG; a time when we were mostly the favourite to win and often featured in the match of the round.

Latest posts