What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018-2022 Media Deal $ Value

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
it's absurb though, right? i can't fathom why ch9 wouldn't bookend their 5pm and 6pm saturday news with an NRL game either side. instead saturday viewing on ch9 is a f**king wasteland of repeat programming.
Couldn't agree more... although having said that I generally don't watch much (if any) FTA

Last Week

Bench
If the idea is for Nine to get a FTA game on a Saturday night, I wonder what that means for the Thursday night slot.

At the moment, Nine have 4 hours (Thursday and Friday) on FTA prime time. Fox have just 2 hours (Saturday night).

If Fox are going to have to share Saturday night (and their exclusivity), they're going to want something in return. Monday nights won't return, so I can see a 6:30pm Sunday night game coming into play for Fox.

If that happens, hopefully we see the end to Thursday night football.

Nine will lose their Thursday night victories, but they'll be guaranteed to win Saturday night's.

Last Week

Bench
Long term, the NRL and broadcasters are going to have to come to grips with the fact that some games will have to be played at the same time.

2 or 3 more games a weekend will result in it inevitably. Which isn't so bad. Anyone whose familiar with NFL redzone can attest to that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
it's absurb though, right? i can't fathom why ch9 wouldn't bookend their 5pm and 6pm saturday news with an NRL game either side. instead saturday viewing on ch9 is a f**king wasteland of repeat programming.

Can only surmise ch9 realised Smith had done them well and they needed to claw back some cash, why else would they sell it to Fox after negotiating it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
got it, not much meat on the bone. looks like have to wait til the end of feb for details.

TV deal pushes NRL back into the black

The NRL was back in the black in 2018, delivering on chief executive Todd Greenberg’s promise to turn a profit.

The game’s full finances will be revealed at its annual general meeting later this month but on Wednesday ARLC chairman Peter Beattie was happy to spruik the encouraging results.

“The key message for fans is that the game is in good financial shape,” Beattie said after the independent commission met at Rugby League Central. “We are back in the black.

“And surpluses are invested back into the sport, whether it’s through junior rugby league or community programs.”

The NRL in 2017 recorded a $3.7 million loss and a $2.6 million loss the year before that.

The game was always expected to return to the black in 2018, the first year of a five-season $1.8 billion television deal with Fox Sports and the Nine Network. Its real challenge will be to deliver profits consistently between now and 2022.

Rugby League Central last year promised to deliver a $10.5 million surplus over the course of the five-year broadcast agreement.

AAP

First year of last tv deal they ended the year with a $45.3million surplus. Year 2 $21.8million surplus. Then a combination of knights and titans bail outs and Greenberg taking over saw three years of deficits. Wonder if the surplus will come close to 2013’s?

I dont think that could work unless Origin became totally stand-alone.

Id hate to see the shitfight if one network is losing players to the other

Mate if you go back to the early 1990s, this is how FTA coverage was -

Channel 10: 6.00 pm game on Sunday for the NSWRL game of the week and finals games;
ABC: 3.00 pm Saturday for a NSWRL game;
Channel 9: State of Origin; and
Channel 7: Test matches.

It only started to change when Channel 10 defaulted on its contract late in 1991 and Channel 9 took over coverage of first grade. They started to insist on them covering all facets of the game (.e. Premiership, Origin and Tests).

Starkers

Bench

Channel 10: 6.00 pm game on Sunday for the NSWRL game of the week and finals games;

It only started to change when Channel 10 defaulted on its contract late in 1991 and Channel 9 took over coverage of first grade. They started to insist on them covering all facets of the game (.e. Premiership, Origin and Tests).

how good was that spread? those were the days!

the antidote to everyone saying more games means conflicted scheduling or missing games etc, is simply to put it across two FTA networks and let them out-market one another.

scheduling teams with little or no cross-over in fan base is also key to making it work.

King Ben

Juniors
In my dream world, Channel 10 uses that sweet sweet American cash to bid for the full slate of NRL TV rights - killing off Foxtel and severely harming Nine in the process. But unfortunately, then I wake up.

Last Week

Bench
In my dream world, Channel 10 uses that sweet sweet American cash to bid for the full slate of NRL TV rights - killing off Foxtel and severely harming Nine in the process. But unfortunately, then I wake up.

Best thing 10 (or any channel) could do is to start their own streaming service.

Offer 3 or 4 games on FTA, then a paid service for the rest of the content.

That's if they wanted the everything.

Starkers

Bench
after subscribing to kayo i'm all for the NRL to do the streaming itself eventually. it opens many possibilities for cross selling as well, into memberships etc.

one big problem i see, compared with kayo, is the 4 or 5 month off season. there are some things that can be added such as internationals to fill a bit of that void, but it's not 8 games weekly.

the AFL has the same issue, which is why i think they are playing the women's league before the men's and also inventing stupid shit like AFLX that is potential content, if it ever becomes any good.

kayo has me for NRL, BBL, test cricket and ODIs.

but say 2m NRL fans x $30 a month for 7 months = $420m a season less cost of production. only issue becomes the off season, what content streams, or do you let clients opt out and have to chase them again in the new season?

colly

Juniors
If the idea is for Nine to get a FTA game on a Saturday night, I wonder what that means for the Thursday night slot.

At the moment, Nine have 4 hours (Thursday and Friday) on FTA prime time. Fox have just 2 hours (Saturday night).

If Fox are going to have to share Saturday night (and their exclusivity), they're going to want something in return. Monday nights won't return, so I can see a 6:30pm Sunday night game coming into play for Fox.

If that happens, hopefully we see the end to Thursday night football.

Nine will lose their Thursday night victories, but they'll be guaranteed to win Saturday night's.
LW
https://tenplay.com.au/tenplay-trending/articles/introducing-10-all-access

LeagueXIII

First Grade

Ten also did the Friday night game plus the pre season cup competition and late night league on the weekend.

They were great friends of league working with the game to help it grow.

taipan

Referee
First year of last tv deal they ended the year with a $45.3million surplus. Year 2 $21.8million surplus. Then a combination of knights and titans bail outs and Greenberg taking over saw three years of deficits. Wonder if the surplus will come close to 2013’s?

Smith left November 2015.Started 1/2/2012 According to my analysis a loss of $8,097,000 in 2015.When books ruled off end Oct I understand.

Income doubled in 2013/2014,yet contributions to clubs went up 2013 by only 64% and 2014 by 79%

Dogs Of War

Coach

And don't forget schoolboy Rugby League on Sunday mornings.

Stallion

First Grade
A wild card weekend coupled with two additional clubs would add value to a future NRL media deal in my opinion . But a wild card weekend alone would not be as lucrative for the game and its genuine growth. 18 or eventually 20 teams with a wild card weekend featuring in the top ten clubs would see genuine growth and more product for the NRL. Perhaps the conference style set up may also be used as well for the competition proper? Way too positive and sensible I think.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Broadcast revenue: 2018 results reflect the first year of the 2018-22 broadcast deal and as such there was a large revenue uplift compared to prior year (2018: $318.0m, 2017: $206.2m). Under the adoption of new accounting standards in this cycle, broadcast revenue will increase by approximately 2% p.a, as opposed to the straight line methodology adopted in the last cycle, 2013-17.

https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/documents/nrl-gen19_6501-2018-annual-report-hr.pdf

Contra was worth $19.3million (down from around $23million in last media deal)

Last edited: