What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GB Lions Tour 2019

Stallion

First Grade

Storm13

Juniors
Undoing the work the England brand has accomplished in recent years is a baffling idea considering no plan has been put to the public on how this GB team will be put together. Are GB a tier 1 nation? Be interesting to see if they are classed below tier 1 and they could recruit say Tyson Frizell to represent Wales in the side.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
I can't see a Lions Tour without a game against the Kangaroos as a good idea.

Yes. It's diabolical how the league is treating international football! Every person I've spoken to and mentioned that the Lions are to tour the South Pacific with no game against the Kangaroos are shocked and stunned at this fact!

Stallion

First Grade
Once again another conversation with a female teacher today: I informed that the British Lions are to tour the South Pacific later this year and they are not playing the Kangaroos. Her response was "What!" with a look of amazement. She then followed up with "Why" I answered that "The league thinks it's not viable." She shook her head and said "They are kidding!" I added that "Even if they staged a match in Newcastle it would be an absolute sellout with extra seating required." She was in full agreement. I offered an opinion that : "There must be people within the league that are deliberately stuffing it up! " We continued on with lunch.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
Once again another conversation with a female teacher today: I informed that the British Lions are to tour the South Pacific later this year and they are not playing the Kangaroos. Her response was "What!" with a look of amazement. She then followed up with "Why" I answered that "The league thinks it's not viable." She shook her head and said "They are kidding!" I added that "Even if they staged a match in Newcastle it would be an absolute sellout with extra seating required." She was in full agreement. I offered an opinion that : "There must be people within the league that are deliberately stuffing it up! " We continued on with lunch.

Cool story 8/10.

Burns

First Grade
Things that did not happen

Stallion

First Grade
Things that did not happen

What looks like "Did not happen" is the stark reality that the Lions will not be playing the Kangaroos this year whilst touring the South Pacific! An embarassing scenario, however it seems many would like this ridiculous and embarassing lack of decent international scheduling to fly through to the keeper once again.

roughyedspud

Coach
International scheduling is exact why Australia aren't playing GB..

The ARLC wanted to completely re do the already agreed fixture list..it was agreed at the RLIF Congress during the 2017 world cup that NZ would tour the UK in 2018,GB would tour Australia in 2019 and Australia would tour the UK/Europe in 2020...then the 2021 world cup..

Everyone agreed to this...and then Peter beattie arrived at the ARLC and,naturally,tried to implement his own strategy,wanted to flip 2019 & 2020 around,came up with silly 4nations ideas for other countries even though it ran right over agreed RLEF/RLIF fixtures..and when these ideas got rejected at not one RLIF meeting but TWO! in June &.Oct last year iirc, that's when the Aussie's took their ball home...told GB to whistle and are putting on Tonga v NZ mid season so England can't play NZ...it's pathetic

Springs09

Juniors
Right, Australia is putting on Tonga v NZ.

It seems Australia were the only ones with foresight enough to see the GB tour was a stupid idea.

siv

First Grade
International scheduling is exact why Australia aren't playing GB..

The ARLC wanted to completely re do the already agreed fixture list..it was agreed at the RLIF Congress during the 2017 world cup that NZ would tour the UK in 2018,GB would tour Australia in 2019 and Australia would tour the UK/Europe in 2020...then the 2021 world cup..

Everyone agreed to this...and then Peter beattie arrived at the ARLC and,naturally,tried to implement his own strategy,wanted to flip 2019 & 2020 around,came up with silly 4nations ideas for other countries even though it ran right over agreed RLEF/RLIF fixtures..and when these ideas got rejected at not one RLIF meeting but TWO! in June &.Oct last year iirc, that's when the Aussie's took their ball home...told GB to whistle and are putting on Tonga v NZ mid season so England can't play NZ...it's pathetic

The comments here are very interesting

And why there seems to be a push for 3 independant directors on the RLIF

And NZRL is stuck in the middle with the ARLC holding all the money that pays for matches and tours

Stallion

First Grade
The comments here are very interesting

And why there seems to be a push for 3 independant directors on the RLIF

And NZRL is stuck in the middle with the ARLC holding all the money that pays for matches and tours

So Peter Beattie or his advisers stuffed it all up! Ultimately Australian rugby league officials to blame for this embarrassment. Pathetic!

Last edited:

roughyedspud

Coach
It seems Australia were the only ones with foresight enough to see the GB tour was a stupid idea.

A 3 test series between Australia & GB or England isn't a stupid idea...we've done it for a hundred years..

The fact that the ARLC would have to pay the Aussie players $1m in match fees is the stupid part

Stallion

First Grade
A 3 test series between Australia & GB or England isn't a stupid idea...we've done it for a hundred years..

The fact that the ARLC would have to pay the Aussie players $1m in match fees is the stupid part

The fact that it still would have made money regardless! A tv deal alone should have covered costs and the sellout crowd at the new stadium in western Sydney or at the 33000 plus capacity Newcastle stadium would have been lucrative as well. On top of that the code loses much needed international relevance! A genuine stuff up and disgrace !

roughyedspud

Coach
I agree....the ARLC don't though..

Anyway...there's a revised schedule..

GB v Tonga on 26th Oct
GB v nz on 2nd Nov
GB v nz on 9th Nov
GB v png on 16th Nov

Could be announced this week,first 2 games likely double headers with a Australia v nz then Australia v Tonga then stand alone tests v NZ & png.

adamkungl

Immortal
Double headers in tier 1 international sport fmd please no

GOOD
Announced before the NRL season start
Something actually happening
PNG and Tonga getting games against the highest quality opposition

MEH
2 game 'series' v NZ instead of 3
England in a different shirt to satisfy old codgers nostalgia even though they probably won't pay for a ticket

BAD
Probably should have been announced last year.
Ireland and Scotland still conflicted with players, 3 games scheduled for the same weeks.
No game v Kangaroos.

VERY BAD SERIOUSLY DONT DO THIS
Rumoured double headers

Last edited:

Latest posts