What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jdb case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drag Queen

Bench
NRL club bosses can’t agree if Jack de Belin should continue to play
Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
17 minutes ago

Subscriber only
This is not going to please the majority of rugby league fans.

But a snap-poll of NRL clubs were split right down the middle at Friday’s chief executives conference in Melbourne when the question was asked:

Should Jack de Belin be benched from playing until his rape case is settled in court?

The Saturday Telegraph can reveal that when NRL boss Todd Greenberg put that question to the room opinion was completely “divided”.

It was described as “heated but healthy discussion”.

But as one club boss later told The Saturday Telegraph: “Judging from what I heard, if was a betting man I’d say (de Belin) will be playing this year.”

While that might anger many fans, it is understood there was an overall feeling in the room of empathy given Greenberg’s unenviable predicament.

The question it all goes back to is whether NRL players deserve the same legal rights as the rest of society?

8a627de0b4bcb4fce8b36470988072b0

Will de Belin play? Picture by Simon Bullard.
As it stands de Belin has pleaded not guilty to a charge of aggravated sexual assault of a 19-year-old woman in a Wollongong apartment last December.

And while the matter has been adjourned until April 17, there is every chance it could take up to 18 months for the case to be completed, which is a huge problem for the NRL.

There has been enormous public outrage over the summer after a series of serious allegations relating to violence against women and calls for tougher penalties.

But when it comes to walking the talk, this meeting highlighted just how tough it is.

Some would say is not Greenberg’s job to please everyone but rather it is his job, and that of the ARL Commission, to do what is in the game’s best interests.

And sometimes that means making the unpopular decision, which appears to be the case now.

The problem for the NRL is that it is currently stated in the player code of conduct that when a player is charged with a criminal offence, the NRL would not seek to impose any sanction until the court process had been completed.

deda52e88133252230f8326baf4accdd

Will Greenberg step im? Picture by Adam Yip.
This could all change at an Australian Rugby League Commission meeting on February 28 that will determine if the game has the legal power to force immediate change.

It is understood the ARL Commission is now investigating its legal options, and whether imposing a sanction on de Belin would prejudice his legal case.

There is a feeling within the governing body that the onus should be on de Belin here, or his club, to make the call that it seems the NRL cannot.

But as one club boss explained, you put yourself in the Dragons’ boots?

In reality, it is the Commission, led by chairman Peter Beattie and Greenberg that implements the rules for clubs to follow.

And if they can’t make the call here, then surely the Dragons should not be expected to make it for them.

Dragons chief executive Brian Johnston finally broke his silence in a statement that simply toed the legal line.

“I acknowledge the interest and opinions surrounding the Jack de Belin legal proceedings,” Johnston said.

“This is a very difficult, complex and polarising issue, particularly for those involved, and as a club we have an obligation for player welfare.

“Aside from various contractual and welfare obligations, advice suggests that any action taken by the club may have significant ramifications and may interfere with the fairness of the judicial process.

7bb4b67c8537778c5eaeec3b36ece8d0

De Belin has not been stood down by the Dragons. Photo by Matt King/Getty Images.
“As a club we support the desire and need to improve the standards of player behaviour across the game and our history would suggest that we are not afraid to take action where allegations have been proven.”

But “proven” is still the key word in all this.

In essence, if the Dragons or the NRL made the call to stand down de Belin now, and he was ultimately proved innocent, there would be hell to pay, especially given past history where players have been wrongly accused.

As Greenberg explained: “Under our current policy we have made it very clear that these are matters before the courts and that the NRL is very strong on applying natural justice to its players.

“In saying that, that’s our current policy but we’ve made it clear that we need to consider that very carefully.

“And again, each case needs to be judged on its merits and on this occasion with in the information available to the public it is very difficult.

“I understand why people are debating that.

“But the principles of our policy stand clear at the moment, that when a player is before the courts, we will stand back and allow that process to take place.”

While that might not please the vocal majority at this point, it is what it is.

slippery5

Juniors
Plenty of cases? How many where the cops thought there was strong enough evidence to charge the most serious sexual assault charge? How many where the magistrate says that it appears a reasonably strong case? Because I reckon that would be a a bloody small number. However there are plenty of cases where people have been sexually assaulted and acted on very similar ways to what she describes. An ex-detective I know found nothing unusual in her statement of events, neither do women I know who’ve been assaulted.
That ex detective should have told you if a victim has noticeable injuries & her record of events tells them how she got them, they can only act on her statement (as also the Judge), it is up to the lawyers & jury to ask the questions to find the truth of Guilty or Innocent. If he's guilty, put him away, You & others obviously have him guilty before he has his day in court to tell his side of the story.

hewi

Bench
Smelling the winds this morning in the press I would say JDB won’t play until after the trial. IMO the best move now would be for him to do it himself. I hope if this happens that Possums idea of salary cap relief etc is allowed. As alluded to at the start of this thread there will be no winners in the tragic event.

The Damo

Juniors
That ex detective should have told you if a victim has noticeable injuries & her record of events tells them how she got them, they can only act on her statement (as also the Judge), it is up to the lawyers & jury to ask the questions to find the truth of Guilty or Innocent. If he's guilty, put him away, You & others obviously have him guilty before he has his day in court to tell his side of the story.
Of course he’s entitled to the presumption of innocence. What’s that got to do with your claim of plenty of cases where it was just made up? How many made up cases get to this point and have ‘a reasonably strong case’?
Why does any of what you just said make her story unusual?

Last edited:

possm

Coach
NRL club bosses can’t agree if Jack de Belin should continue to play
Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
17 minutes ago

Subscriber only
This is not going to please the majority of rugby league fans.

But a snap-poll of NRL clubs were split right down the middle at Friday’s chief executives conference in Melbourne when the question was asked:

Should Jack de Belin be benched from playing until his rape case is settled in court?

The Saturday Telegraph can reveal that when NRL boss Todd Greenberg put that question to the room opinion was completely “divided”.

It was described as “heated but healthy discussion”.

But as one club boss later told The Saturday Telegraph: “Judging from what I heard, if was a betting man I’d say (de Belin) will be playing this year.”

While that might anger many fans, it is understood there was an overall feeling in the room of empathy given Greenberg’s unenviable predicament.

The question it all goes back to is whether NRL players deserve the same legal rights as the rest of society?

8a627de0b4bcb4fce8b36470988072b0

Will de Belin play? Picture by Simon Bullard.
As it stands de Belin has pleaded not guilty to a charge of aggravated sexual assault of a 19-year-old woman in a Wollongong apartment last December.

And while the matter has been adjourned until April 17, there is every chance it could take up to 18 months for the case to be completed, which is a huge problem for the NRL.

There has been enormous public outrage over the summer after a series of serious allegations relating to violence against women and calls for tougher penalties.

But when it comes to walking the talk, this meeting highlighted just how tough it is.

Some would say is not Greenberg’s job to please everyone but rather it is his job, and that of the ARL Commission, to do what is in the game’s best interests.

And sometimes that means making the unpopular decision, which appears to be the case now.

The problem for the NRL is that it is currently stated in the player code of conduct that when a player is charged with a criminal offence, the NRL would not seek to impose any sanction until the court process had been completed.

deda52e88133252230f8326baf4accdd

Will Greenberg step im? Picture by Adam Yip.
This could all change at an Australian Rugby League Commission meeting on February 28 that will determine if the game has the legal power to force immediate change.

It is understood the ARL Commission is now investigating its legal options, and whether imposing a sanction on de Belin would prejudice his legal case.

There is a feeling within the governing body that the onus should be on de Belin here, or his club, to make the call that it seems the NRL cannot.

But as one club boss explained, you put yourself in the Dragons’ boots?

In reality, it is the Commission, led by chairman Peter Beattie and Greenberg that implements the rules for clubs to follow.

And if they can’t make the call here, then surely the Dragons should not be expected to make it for them.

Dragons chief executive Brian Johnston finally broke his silence in a statement that simply toed the legal line.

“I acknowledge the interest and opinions surrounding the Jack de Belin legal proceedings,” Johnston said.

“This is a very difficult, complex and polarising issue, particularly for those involved, and as a club we have an obligation for player welfare.

“Aside from various contractual and welfare obligations, advice suggests that any action taken by the club may have significant ramifications and may interfere with the fairness of the judicial process.

7bb4b67c8537778c5eaeec3b36ece8d0

De Belin has not been stood down by the Dragons. Photo by Matt King/Getty Images.
“As a club we support the desire and need to improve the standards of player behaviour across the game and our history would suggest that we are not afraid to take action where allegations have been proven.”

But “proven” is still the key word in all this.

In essence, if the Dragons or the NRL made the call to stand down de Belin now, and he was ultimately proved innocent, there would be hell to pay, especially given past history where players have been wrongly accused.

As Greenberg explained: “Under our current policy we have made it very clear that these are matters before the courts and that the NRL is very strong on applying natural justice to its players.

“In saying that, that’s our current policy but we’ve made it clear that we need to consider that very carefully.

“And again, each case needs to be judged on its merits and on this occasion with in the information available to the public it is very difficult.

“I understand why people are debating that.

“But the principles of our policy stand clear at the moment, that when a player is before the courts, we will stand back and allow that process to take place.”

While that might not please the vocal majority at this point, it is what it is.
For me the call should be with the NRL and the NRL need to take responsibility and change their rules with regards to matters like this. I believe the NRL should have all player contracts changed to include clauses in relation to player's charged with an offence to include the following:
  1. If a player is charged with an offence, the player's contract will be suspended and responsibility regarding the implementation of the terms of the contract will be transferred to the NRL. Policy, procedures and terms are to be developed by the NRL with regards to this change.
  2. The player's salary will be removed from the Club's salary cap and the club given permission to fill the vacancy at a salary no greater than that of the suspended player on a temporary basis.
  3. The Club can appoint a new player to the top 30 on a temporary basis until legal proceedings are finalised.

The above contractual changes are seen as a way of relieving clubs of the responsibility of making calls on whether to support or not support a player charged. By transferring responsibility to the NRL, Clubs will no longer be exposed to the possibility of creating unrest within the Club, the player and with fans, sponsors and supporters.

Under the above measures it is likely that players would be suspended on full pay (paid by the NRL) until legal proceedings are completed.

The NRL should take out suitable insurance to cover the costs associated with these changes.

Last edited:

Obi Wan

Juniors
It seems some of the media and people like the Melbourne Storm chairman and co-owner Bart Campbell are pressuring the NRL to ignore our basic human rights of the presumption of innocence until proven guilty after blasting The NRL as ' morally tone deaf ' on their decision to allow Dragons lock Jack de Belin to play. Seems pretty hypocritical when you consider previously their club cleared Greg Inglis to play stating they were determined to allow the judicial process to run its course despite the assault charges he was facing at the time for bashing his girlfriend.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/ne...s/news-story/0768326754bc80de37c18390cafea00d

Wizardman

First Grade
I'd leave the call upto the Dragons here.

The man is still legally innocent. The Dragons should be free to make the call to play him if he is fit to do so. If they don't want to play him due to brand issues, that should be their right too. You cannot convict a man until he is officially convicted by the law.

BLM01

First Grade
We still only have part of one side of the story. Both sides of the full story will be put to the courts during the trial. De Belin has obviously told his side of the story to the Club and to the NRL. I'm sure he also would have told the cops.

So until we know both sides of the full story, I suggest we just leave it alone.

For me the call should be with the NRL and the NRL need to take responsibility and change their rules with regards to matters like this. I believe the NRL should have all player contracts changed to include clauses in relation to player's charged with an offence to include the following:
  1. If a player is charged with an offence, the player's contract will be suspended and responsibility regarding the implementation of the terms of the contract will be transferred to the NRL. Policy, procedures and terms are to be developed by the NRL with regards to this change.
  2. The player's salary will be removed from the Club's salary cap and the club given permission to fill the vacancy at a salary no greater than that of the suspended player on a temporary basis.
  3. The Club can appoint a new player to the top 30 on a temporary basis until legal proceedings are finalised.

The above contractual changes are seen as a way of relieving clubs of the responsibility of making calls on whether to support or not support a player charged. By transferring responsibility to the NRL, Clubs will no longer be exposed to the possibility of creating unrest within the Club, the player and with fans, sponsors and supporters.

Under the above measures it is likely that players would be suspended on full pay (paid by the NRL) until legal proceedings are completed.

The NRL should take out suitable insurance to cover the costs associated with these changes.

The problem is Possm..no underwriter or insurer will take it on or the premiums will be so high..and they will be paying out all the time. and does that extend to 1st graders in the CRL or NSWRL as we all under the NRL banner.

slippery5

Juniors
Of course he’s entitled to the presumption of innocence. What’s that got to do with your claim of plenty of cases where it was just made up? How many made up cases get to this point and have ‘a reasonably strong case’?
Why does any of what you just said make her story unusual?
I'm saying, the part of the story how the injuries occurred, is my question, not just in rape claims but in many assault allegations victims have claimed they received certain injuries & accused the defendant of causing them (FACT). I would question the extent of these injuries to shoulders, abdomen & knees, as instantly everyone gets a visual in their head of her being dragged against her will & brutally beaten, compared to a girl going willing back to an apartment ( for what ever means) calling an uber & all returning back to club together. Once you add the injuries, people assume he is guilty of the most hidious crime without question. As you & others are saying "geez she's got all the injuries, he must have done it".
I'm not saying he is innocent but don't just think because of these claims he is Guilty.

On a foot note: I once rocked up to a night shift & we were instructed to release an inmate upon Judges orders immediately, after the girl had admitted to her new boyfriend that certain events didn't happen, she obviously had a guilty conscience, after he had to spend 4yrs mixing with other filthy inmates.
Not relevant to this case but people do get accused for things they didn't do.(fact).

BLM01

First Grade
I will add to this...or hearing the females full version or her testamony which will be also heard in court.
See the problem is..the media have put out in the public domain all the facts of JDB's charges, his plea and the details of the story why he is charged that immediately implicate and give the public the perception of his and the other boys guilt (which may or may not be true but that is their job to get people outraged and reach to everybody's emotive reaction) and we should all just support the victim. Thats the media and life today.....but we all forget.......we dont know yet who is the real victim.
And bringing his relationship status into your summation is also wrong regardless of his pending fatherhood. We dont know what emotive state that relationship was at as of the 9th December.

slippery5

Juniors
I will add to this...or hearing the females full version or her testamony which will be also heard in court.
See the problem is..the media have put out in the public domain all the facts of JDB's charges, his plea and the details of the story why he is charged that immediately implicate and give the public the perception of his and the other boys guilt (which may or may not be true but that is their job to get people outraged and reach to everybody's emotive reaction) and we should all just support the victim. Thats the media and life today.....but we all forget.......we dont know yet who is the real victim.
And bringing his relationship status into your summation is also wrong regardless of his pending fatherhood. We dont know what emotive state that relationship was at as of the 9th December.
Couldn't have said better. Anyone who had questioned the series of events hoping he was innocent instantly think he must be guilty of the highest degree if she has all these injuries, that is my point & why I had to comment. ( regretting that decision to comment or not ).

The Damo

Juniors
I'm saying, the part of the story how the injuries occurred, is my question, not just in rape claims but in many assault allegations victims have claimed they received certain injuries & accused the defendant of causing them (FACT). I would question the extent of these injuries to shoulders, abdomen & knees, as instantly everyone gets a visual in their head of her being dragged against her will & brutally beaten, compared to a girl going willing back to an apartment ( for what ever means) calling an uber & all returning back to club together. Once you add the injuries, people assume he is guilty of the most hidious crime without question. As you & others are saying "geez she's got all the injuries, he must have done it".
I'm not saying he is innocent but don't just think because of these claims he is Guilty.

On a foot note: I once rocked up to a night shift & we were instructed to release an inmate upon Judges orders immediately, after the girl had admitted to her new boyfriend that certain events didn't happen, she obviously had a guilty conscience, after he had to spend 4yrs mixing with other filthy inmates.
Not relevant to this case but people do get accused for things they didn't do.(fact).
Ok, what I’m saying is that her story and how she acted after the alleged incident is not actually unusual in any way. In fact the most unusual aspect of it is that she reported it and got treatment and soon as she did. There are plenty of cases where victims waited longer before they felt able to do that (FACT). What there isn’t, is ‘plenty’ of cases where someone makes up a story and it makes it to trial with sufficient corroborating evidence. That’s actually really rare in these types of cases. There are plenty of cases where allegations are made and they don’t go to trial because prosecutors don’t think there’s enough evidence.
Also I haven’t said “she’s got injuries he must have done it”. I will say that her story as reported is consistent with her reported injuries. And it seems the Police, DPP, and the medical examiners agree. That doesn’t mean he’s guilty, but it does mean he’s got a serious case to answer.

BLM01

First Grade
Couldn't have said better. Anyone who had questioned the series of events hoping he was innocent instantly think he must be guilty of the highest degree if she has all these injuries, that is my point & why I had to comment. ( regretting that decision to comment or not ).
It is like social media has taken us back 200, 500, 1000 or 2000 years..where the village people went to watch and cheer people being burned who they thought were witches on a stake, watching people being thrown into a lions den or crucified..because some ruling person did not like them.
Or stoning someone to death because of infedility and or cutting off their hand for stealing a loaf of bread.
Admittedly some people deserved to be on those stages in fronrt of vocal crowds
The ruler nowadays are our MEDIA outlets.and journos.

Social media has given everyone a seat in the stadium as a jury member of life's issues with a handful of stones waiting for the next person or thing to walk on centre stage.
Some follow the mob mentality and throw stones anyway because they can then ask questions.
Some prefer to ask balanced view questions and wait before throwing.

It will never change and it just shows it really never has. Just the application and logistics of it have.

DragonJ

Juniors
You are aware that a not guilty verdict for the accused is NOT the same as meaning they have been falsely accused by the girl? In most cases is simply means insufficient evidence.
FFS, are you serious? I was speaking hypothetically, which I made clear if you would have been so kind as to quite the entire message.

DragonJ

Juniors
I think the Melbourne CEO and moral giant is right. And the week before we play those scummy, choking, wresting, cheating animals, the club should organize for a very attractive hooker to seduce Munster or Bromwich and then accuse them of rape. If thy are found not guilty a year or 2 later, no problem. Just as long as they are stood down for the GF.

possm

Coach
The problem is Possm..no underwriter or insurer will take it on or the premiums will be so high..and they will be paying out all the time. and does that extend to 1st graders in the CRL or NSWRL as we all under the NRL banner.

At this stage I was only talking about players on an NRL contract who are in the top 30 of a club. Yes at this stage we need to keep a lid on such a scheme if only to keep cost down.

I am not in the insurance industry but I am the President of a charity and Vice President of another. Both charities have insurance policies to cover miss-behaviour of staff and volunteers. The variation in quotes from one insurance company to the other is wide ranging without any visible difference in cover. I am sure the NRL can find cover for such a scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.