What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Discussion

mxlegend99

Referee
https://www.theherald.com.au/story/5900950/cleary-reveals-plan-for-key-hooker-role/

Sounds like Katoa will get the nod ahead of Egan to start the year?
Possibly. Although it seems like a message Egan would have gotten also. If Katoa needs to play 80 it means we aren't running with a bench hooker and Egan would need to play 80 also if he is picked.

Unless it's a bluff by Ivan to get both to do everything possible to reach thrir best. If they're fighting for what they believe is one spot. They will do everything they can not thinking they have the safety net of being on the bench

Fangs

Coach
I assume it means that Ivan is thinking that he will only run 1 hooker by years end. That frees up a spot for a guy like Luai/May on the bench as a utility. I still think both Egan and Katoa will be in the side round 1.

Good sign IMO. Ivan needs to evolve to win a premiership.

franklin2323

Immortal
I don't think these days you can have 2 straight out hookers in the 17. So to start maybe but eventually we need to decide and let one go

Crashtest

Juniors
I assume it means that Ivan is thinking that he will only run 1 hooker by years end. That frees up a spot for a guy like Luai/May on the bench as a utility. I still think both Egan and Katoa will be in the side round 1.

Good sign IMO. Ivan needs to evolve to win a premiership.

Would be great to have a game breaker like Luai coming off the bench. Lets hope either Katoa or Egan can become the 80 minute hooker that Cleary wants

Crashtest

Juniors
The nrl.com staff have made their predictions on who will be this years Dally M award winner. Ponga seems to be the most favoured, with 5 picking him.

But interestingly, two predicted Nathan Cleary. Their comments on him were:

Paul Suttor (NRL.com editor)
All the pieces are in place for Nathan Cleary to truly take ownership of this Penrith team and lead them deep into the playoffs. With Origin experience now under his belt, Cleary is primed to establish himself in the upper echelon of NRL Stars.

Jonathan Healy (NRL.com reporter)
Nathan Cleary has bulked up in the off-season in preparation for a big 2019 and has already indicated he is keen to take his game to a new level this year. It's easy to forget that Cleary is still only 21, so he could claim the game's highest honour if he can stay injury free and the Panthers can continue the form that saw them finish last campaign in fifth place on the NRL ladder.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/14/dally-m-medal-winner-nrl.com-experts-have-their-say/

Crashtest

Juniors
To be fair Cleary only had 17 games.

That's true, but he still would of been a long way off even if he had played 24 games. That's why I'm surprised he is getting picked to win the Dally M.

As a comparison, Mitchell Pearce finished 5th on 23 votes, despite only playing 15 games due to injury. Ponga finished 2nd on 27 votes, and only played 20 games.

Don't get me wrong, I hope he does win it, as it means the Panthers would of had a great season. I just not sure he can improve that much in one season, even allowing for the fact he will be better under Ivan's game plans than he was under Hook's.

mxlegend99

Referee
Whares first touch... looks like vintage Whare with a nice quick pass to setup a try.

Hoping Ivan can bring back his best footy. He was the best cdntre in the comp last time they were together.

mxlegend99

Referee
Another try assist to Whare. He hasnt really gotten to run the ball. Or been noticeable in defence. But his hands look fantastic.

franklin2323

Immortal
Why on earth couldn't he do it last year? Or 2017.

Hmm...not going there.

I don't expect much change from him. He is a basic half but he can just fire the ball out wider and tries will come from Kikau/Blake. They just need early ball

Latest posts