What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kayo Sports

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah unfortunately though Kayo hasn’t rolled out apps for XBox or PlayStation yet, rumoured to be inthe pipeline though.
The problem with networked TV devices at the moment is the proliferation of different platforms, most of which require their own apps to be developed.
Right now you’ve got PC/Mac (both covered by browsers), iOS, Android, Apple TV, XBox, PlayStation, TelstraTV, and at least 3 different types of smart TV operating system. I suspect we’re going to see a few of those drop off or move to browser based setups in the next few years as it’s a bit of a mess for developers right now.

I use the Edge browser on xbox one and works fine

franklin2323

Immortal
Considering I like to watch sport live, and that many other viewers will too, I think that they should have personal settings that allow for a more Foxtel type style.

I might send them some feedback on this (or maybe there is already a way to do this but I just haven't figured it out yet).

The live channel button being down the bottom tells me they rather you watch stuff on delayed. Has no TV guide either.

Like others have said the preferences mucks up. I have marked certain teams as my team and they don't show yet other games from that same sport does. All stuff I am sure will get fixed with time

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The live channel button being down the bottom tells me they rather you watch stuff on delayed. Has no TV guide either.

Like others have said the preferences mucks up. I have marked certain teams as my team and they don't show yet other games from that same sport does. All stuff I am sure will get fixed with time

On the mobile app when you go to the event you want to watch there are live and from the start (delayed) buttons right next to each other? It doesn’t really seem to be trying to herd users towards either. It’s SO much better than the shithouse old NRL app which always seemed to give you live spoilers when you didn’t want them.

Matua

Bench
On the mobile app when you go to the event you want to watch there are live and from the start (delayed) buttons right next to each other? It doesn’t really seem to be trying to herd users towards either. It’s SO much better than the shithouse old NRL app which always seemed to give you live spoilers when you didn’t want them.
As I said above I was searching for the live Sydney 7's and had to scroll for a long time past all the not live versions that were there.

I do think the no spoilers function is great.

Hopefully they listen to feedback and make changes.

TBH $25/$35 versus $49 (Telstra Foxtel current intro 12 month deal, could probably knock off the HD fee with a bit of negotiating/waiting to the start of NRL season) is not that big an issue to me so I guess I'm less inclined to give them leeway. However, as I said above I'll use it for a month to see - as I stated above I was more impressed with the picture quality than I expected to be.

Matua

Bench
Logged on today and these were the top sports on my page:
Soccer
Cricket
Soccer
AFL
Cricket
Motor racing

I have League and Rugby selected as the sports I want to see. :rolleyes:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Logged on today and these were the top sports on my page:
Soccer
Cricket
Soccer
AFL
Cricket
Motor racing

I have League and Rugby selected as the sports I want to see. :rolleyes:

That weird, I’m getting a lot of the northern hemisphere rugby games at the top of my feed. Nothing at the top today though, they’re a little way down, I’m guessing because they’re not live.

I’m sure it’ll cha he one the season kick off properly or even when trials start if they get any coverage

Matua

Bench
That weird, I’m getting a lot of the northern hemisphere rugby games at the top of my feed. Nothing at the top today though, they’re a little way down, I’m guessing because they’re not live.

I’m sure it’ll cha he one the season kick off properly or even when trials start if they get any coverage
So I sent feedback to them and they said they always put an assortment of live shows on the home page from what's trending on their customer base [so why ask for individual preferences?].

They also said they suggest sports you might be interested in [I told them the sports i was interested in :rolleyes:].

Anyway, we'll see how things go this weekend with the start of Super rugby and a couple of league games.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
So I sent feedback to them and they said they always put an assortment of live shows on the home page from what's trending on their customer base [so why ask for individual preferences?].

They also said they suggest sports you might be interested in [I told them the sports i was interested in :rolleyes:].

Anyway, we'll see how things go this weekend with the start of Super rugby and a couple of league games.

I think that about nails it. I think it always prioritises live stuff, then within that will prioritise your favourites. I’m definitely getting the NZ-India cricket at the top whenever it’s on, followed by NH rugby (as I’ve favourited the sport but none of the NZ teams). I imagine once the rugby/league seasons kick off they’ll be up the top.

Personally I think that’s good- it gives you an opportunity to jump on something you weren’t expecting live, and you can always scroll down to find the replays of your normal fixes.
Was watching some sumo this morning, haha

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
When watching the games not live. ESL has the half time show etc but the All Stars didn't. Strange if they don't have all the chat between games

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
No issues with capacity that I’ve noticed in round one, all good so far. However there’s an issue with the audio being slightly out of sync in the current broadcast, Looks like the audio is dubbed when watching the presenters because their lips don’t sync up. Not really a biggie though because you don’t even notice during the in game commentary, it’s only maybe half a second out.

Pommy

Coach
No issues with capacity that I’ve noticed in round one, all good so far. However there’s an issue with the audio being slightly out of sync in the current broadcast, Looks like the audio is dubbed when watching the presenters because their lips don’t sync up. Not really a biggie though because you don’t even notice during the in game commentary, it’s only maybe half a second out.

Can’t say I have noticed this and I’ve watched a lot of Kayo this weekend. Not just NRL but SL and even F1 (visitors choice not mine)

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Mine dropped out completely just before Parras second try, had to watch the rest on ch9.

Nothing I did would make it reconnect and as soon as the footy was over, it reconnected. @#$#@#@

dogz08

First Grade
i keep getting "aw, snap! something went wrong while displaying this webpage" every 30 mins while watching a game..

VictoryFC

Bench
Need to get better overall. Some streams are fine, others not so. Can't blame internet connection as Netflix etc work perfectly.

Other than that, I find the UI to be shockingly bad. Just a complete mess from a usability point of view. I use it on Apple TV so there's a lot of clicking going on to get to what you want.

Parra

Referee
How does the HD quality compare to others. I like foxHD, I haven't used 4K, the quality of Netflix HD is amazing - the new F1 doco series is clearer than anything else.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
How does the HD quality compare to others. I like foxHD, I haven't used 4K, the quality of Netflix HD is amazing - the new F1 doco series is clearer than anything else.

I’m not really in a proper position to tell tbh because my ADSL connection is rubbish. I will say however that the picture is easily on a par with Netflix and miles ahead of the NRL app. I’m not sure of the exactly quality I’m getting as it scales automatically but it looks like a clean 720p picture to me, no noticeable jerking or stuttering. Hopefully I’ll have NBN by mid season especially if the go 4K.

franklin2323

Immortal
Those with streaming issues. Are you using the App? It is rubbish watching Live without the App. I sourced a 3rd party app and works perfect

nick87

Coach
I cant speak for anyone elses experiences, but i've found generally i have to restart the app once every stream, it seems to wig out early, but once i go again it's all good

I've been super impressed by it... i had the stream going and look at the C9 coverage and difference was about 35 seconds.

I cut the cord on foxtel, was paying $80 a month, between netflix and kayo im now paying $37 and the combined service has left Fox for dead

nick87

Coach
All i want from Kayo at this point is to keep delivering this level of service and provide a Smart TV app so i can it straight off my Samsung tv (dont have chromcast but may buy one if the smart tv app doesnt come soon)

Latest posts