What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not Singing the Anthem

deluded pom?

Coach
Does England use God save the Queen?
At the Commonwealth games each of the UK’s compnent countries uses its own anthem. From memory England has recently replaced Land of Hope and Glory with Jerusalem; Scotland has replaced Scotland the Brave with Flower of Scotland; Wales has Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau and Northern Ireland is stuck with Danny Boy. Now that each has a RL team (although Ireland plays as a whole island) shouldn’t England have its particular anthem
For some reason they, whoever’ they are, have decided England will use GSTQ as if it’s ours by right. I seem to recall being at Wembley in the 90s for an England v Australia WC match and England walking out to LOHAG. a much better anthem IMO. I can’t remember if they played GSTQ before the kick off though.

DIOGENES

Juniors
Speaking of not singing the anthem
It’s even worse when you are the minister for a country and don’t know the words (or the language for that matter)

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
For some reason they, whoever’ they are, have decided England will use GSTQ as if it’s ours by right. I seem to recall being at Wembley in the 90s for an England v Australia WC match and England walking out to LOHAG. a much better anthem IMO. I can’t remember if they played GSTQ before the kick off though.

Yes those early Ashes Tests from the 1990 & 1994 Series at Wembley, walking out to Land Of Hope And Glory seemed to inspire the Chooms, sadly lacking since then!.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
A few things.

The Canberra Raiders have been around longer than Advance Australia Fair has been our National Anthem.

No one in this country gave a flying f**k about the anthem until the RWNJ started up and the derelicts of Australian society morphed into the redneck imbeciles of the US, wanting, guns, hating foreigners, fear mongering blah blah blah.

This country has a proud history of not being that passionately proud of our country. We love it, but getting tattoos of the Southern Cross and flag waving etc was just OTT.

Now you're looked at as unpatriotic if you don't comply with that mindset.

Willie Ray

Bench
I would absolutely vote for this song to be our anthem...
Would love to hear a packed house singing this on Grand Final day,especially that great chorus...
If Advance Australia Fair makes me cringe these lyrics give me goosebumps...
And my lord Judith Durham can sing...
thanx for posting big T.

RedVee

First Grade
I would absolutely vote for this song to be our anthem...
Would love to hear a packed house singing this on Grand Final day,especially that great chorus...
If Advance Australia Fair makes me cringe these lyrics give me goosebumps...
And my lord Judith Durham can sing...
thanx for posting big T.

Look up the 2009 reworded version of AAF by Judith Durham & Kutcha Edwards.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Although visible elsewhere in the southern hemisphere and "Australia does not own it" the southern cross is very significant to Australia. It designated to European explorers they were headed for the southern land. It was also of great importance for thousands of years to Aboriginal astronomy and cosmology.
Beneath our radiant.

Means something in everywhere South.

Not ours alone, unlike say an Emu.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Why do Aboriginal Australians want a white mans divide flag anyways?

Not something they did before.

Flags divide, It is the point of them. Something bought here, like a weed.

Same with anthems, like really, god save the queen.

Latest posts