What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Having spent over 30 years on the northern beaches, I know about half a dozen rugby fans.

But I'm sure you're far more knowledgeable as someone that thinks driving to the beaches to watch his team is too hard. You must know plenty of locals.
I would classify the Northern Beahes as one of three main areas where union enjoys greater popularity than elsewhere in the Sydney metro zone (the other two obviously being the North Shore and Eastern Suburbs). Doesn't mean rugby is super popular (and Manly are obviously more popular than rugby IMO), but it's fair to say they'd have more chance drawing a good crowd at Brookie than they would at Penrith, or Campbelltown, or Belmore, for example.

As for your attack on me about Brookvale, I outlined reasons I believe others might be turned away from attending a venue like Brookvale, not that I wouldn't attend myself.

firechild

First Grade
I would classify the Northern Beahes as one of three main areas where union enjoys greater popularity than elsewhere in the Sydney metro zone (the other two obviously being the North Shore and Eastern Suburbs). Doesn't mean rugby is super popular (and Manly are obviously more popular than rugby IMO), but it's fair to say they'd have more chance drawing a good crowd at Brookie than they would at Penrith, or Campbelltown, or Belmore, for example.

As for your attack on me about Brookvale, I outlined reasons I believe others might be turned away from attending a venue like Brookvale, not that I wouldn't attend myself.
Attack? Geez you're precious.

As for the rest, they might be third in Sydney but there are no rugby schools on the northern beaches and it would be a pretty distant 3rd behind the other 2. You could possibly make a case for St Augustines but that's a pretty strong rugby league school.

They play Aussie Rules in Canada, they'd be in the top 3 AFL playing nations. Therefore, by your logic, Canada is AFL heatland.

Valheru

Coach

As for the rest, they might be third in Sydney but there are no rugby schools on the northern beaches and it would be a pretty distant 3rd behind the other 2. You could possibly make a case for St Augustines but that's a pretty strong rugby league school.

They play Aussie Rules in Canada, they'd be in the top 3 AFL playing nations. Therefore, by your logic, Canada is AFL heatland.

Manly and warringah have had strong shute shield attendances in the last few years so there must be some interest in union up there.

Noise

Coach

St Augustine's is a 100% rugby union school. They don't even play league. It is one of the stronger union schools in the state (prob top 5).

They have won the Waratah Shield (Statewide Rugby Union comp 10 times) and are the best school in the ISA competition fielding about 5 teams in each age group

They don't enter any of the school rugby league comps - None of the NSW CCC Cup, Schoolboy Cup, School Gala days or School U13 or U15 comps that are played after school. No league what so ever. The closest they have come to playing any league was when they played that one off league/union hybrid game

Last edited:

firechild

First Grade
St Augustine's is a 100% rugby union school. They don't even play league. It is one of the stronger union schools in the state (prob top 5).

They have won the Waratah Shield (Statewide Rugby Union comp 10 times) and are the best school in the ISA competition fielding about 5 teams in each age group

They don't enter any of the school rugby league comps - None of the NSW CCC Cup, Schoolboy Cup, School Gala days or School U13 or U15 comps that are played after school. No league what so ever. The closest they have come to playing any league was when they played that one off league/union hybrid game
Fair enough. I stand corrected.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
You decided to take me on about a separate matter based on an assumption rather than just debate the actual topic at hand. Maybe attack is a harsh word but it was an unnecessary aside to a genuine debate about the relative popularity of RU on the Northern Beaches, which I see others have outlined since.

Either way the original point I was trying to make was that a one-off rugby match at Brookvale in summer isn't comparable to a full season of Manly games in winter. I thought you'd agree with that?

ReddFelon

Juniors
Rugby union heartland? You do realise that Brookvale isn't on the north shore right?
What hole in the sand have you had your head stuck in for three decades that has somehow allowed you to avoid the Battle of the Beaches games between the Manly Marlins and the Warringah Rats? Those two derbies get roughly the same crowds that the Sea Eagles get for home games in good years. In fact it's pretty common to see Sea Eagles jerseys at Marlins games because half the crowds at both are the same people.

franklin2323

Immortal
What hole in the sand have you had your head stuck in for three decades that has somehow allowed you to avoid the Battle of the Beaches games between the Manly Marlins and the Warringah Rats? Those two derbies get roughly the same crowds that the Sea Eagles get for home games in good years. In fact it's pretty common to see Sea Eagles jerseys at Marlins games because half the crowds at both are the same people.

Unless I have missed something in living Sydney in all my life. South West Sydney is Soccer. West is League. The placement of the Shute shield teams being mainly in North Shore would show RU is strong there.

juro

Bench
Eels Tigers game is on sale to everyone now. Platinum, Gold and Opposition Fans are sold out. Silver can buy 2 seats together. Looks like there are still lots available in Bronze.

hrundi99

First Grade

There are plenty of schools in the NB that play rugby...

papabear

Juniors
The biggest sport on the north shore is soccer, by far and away.

Rugby is bigger then League, but really both sports are struggling for numbers as every kid plays soccer so kids want to play with their friends.

gunpk

Juniors
The biggest sport on the north shore is soccer, by far and away.

Rugby is bigger then League, but really both sports are struggling for numbers as every kid plays soccer so kids want to play with their friends.
Yeah, I've noticed more and more kids are into soccer/football these days. Maybe because of the parents I don't know. When I was growing up in the Northern Beaches it was all rugby and league for us.

greenBV4

Bench
watching the storm warriors trail game at Geelong on nrl.com, its a big stadium but looks pretty empty sadly.. theres a fair bit of noise though so Im guessing theres more behind the camera

sempmrh

Juniors
watching the storm warriors trail game at Geelong on nrl.com, its a big stadium but looks pretty empty sadly.. theres a fair bit of noise though so Im guessing theres more behind the camera
I’m at GMHBA Stadium now (quarter time break) - only the stand on the camera side is open. Pretty well packed on this side.