What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Marlins

Juniors
in the 80’s and early 90’s, growing up in the ‘ville, wet seasons from my memory were always pretty decent. What happened recently was one in
a 200 year event from the last stats I read.......

It’s a gamble playing games up there in March, the all stars game would be well supported, would be a great way to open her but the Cowbs might want that honour seeing as though they’ve put
$10mil into the construction of it.......

I wish the NRL would just give us 3 away games at the start of each season to just get those games out of the way. Most teams would prefer to play us later in the season anyways.

Everyone wins.
I agree. I did originally say for the start of the ‘21 season. The cowboys should definitely open the new ground

TheRam

Coach
Longer term I think it’ll be the better of the two options. The extension of the heavy rail to the border will make it insanely easy for people at the southern end of the coast to reach the stadium, and once the light rail hits Burleigh they’re looking at a spur to Robina and a continuation to the airport to meet the future heavy rail. In the end it’ll be a venue that anyone can get to quickly on public transport

When is all this going to happen by? Like when is the heavy rail extension due to start and finish? And when is the light rail going in and so forth?

siv

First Grade
Main issue for Robina is the lack of a planned E-W interconnect of the light rail and heavy rail

johnny plath

Juniors
only because Brisbane didn't want another team in SEQ
Really... says f**king who... what power did the broncos have over the NSWRL in 1986/1987. You forget, or maybe don't know but Qld was still under the Bjelke Peterson dictatorship at this time and Qld was a police state that had no pokies or cheap piss. Seagulls, located right on the border was a haven for Qlders who wanted to gamble and drink cheap piss at a proper leagues club. Seagulls was huge in the eyes of the Queenslanders just over the border, its operation dwarfed any of the footy clubs north of the border. What other team/syndicate/proposal was refused entry by the broncos at that time??? Youd swear that the Broncos who didn't even exist at the time ran the NSWRL. fmd

El Diablo

Post Whore
Really... says f**king who... what power did the broncos have over the NSWRL in 1986/1987. You forget, or maybe don't know but Qld was still under the Bjelke Peterson dictatorship at this time and Qld was a police state that had no pokies or cheap piss. Seagulls, located right on the border was a haven for Qlders who wanted to gamble and drink cheap piss at a proper leagues club. Seagulls was huge in the eyes of the Queenslanders just over the border, its operation dwarfed any of the footy clubs north of the border. What other team/syndicate/proposal was refused entry by the broncos at that time??? Youd swear that the Broncos who didn't even exist at the time ran the NSWRL. fmd
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seagulls_Stadium

Tweed Heads was chosen as the venue for Giants games, despite the club's name indicating they were based in the nearby state of Queensland. This was due to a clause in the expansion licence, which stated that only one team was allowed to play in South East Queensland (this was awarded to the Brisbane Broncos, who also entered the premiership in 1988).

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure there was a clause in Brisbane's expansion licence that prohibited exactly what others have said - the Giants/Gladiators/Seagulls entity had to use a venue in NSW to get around it. Wasn't until the Broncos were well-established in the mid 90s that the Gold Coast actually played games on the Gold Coast, at Carrara Oval (pre-reno, obviously).

EDIT: As El D has said above, didn't notice his post.

beave

Coach
Even with the advantage of that pokie mecca, the Seagulls/Giants were a f**king basket case.

And as an NQ diehard, I know a f**king basket case when I see one.....

johnny plath

Juniors
I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure there was a clause in Brisbane's expansion licence that prohibited exactly what others have said - the Giants/Gladiators/Seagulls entity had to use a venue in NSW to get around it. Wasn't until the Broncos were well-established in the mid 90s that the Gold Coast actually played games on the Gold Coast, at Carrara Oval (pre-reno, obviously).

EDIT: As El D has said above, didn't notice his post.
Thats true but El D implies it's because brisbane wouldnt allow another team at thst stage which is unlikely considering NSWRL issued the licence and broncos would have had no power in 1987. More likely NSWRL controlling where and how expansion would happen as this was their biggest step to date.

siv

First Grade
Thats true but El D implies it's because brisbane wouldnt allow another team at thst stage which is unlikely considering NSWRL issued the licence and broncos would have had no power in 1987. More likely NSWRL controlling where and how expansion would happen as this was their biggest step to date.

Yes NSWRL issued a licence in 1988

But were on the verge of revoking it in 1993

Then in 1995 issued the Brisbane 2 licence

News Ltd as part of their peace deal has not allowed a 2nd Brisbane club for 20 years until the ARLC took control and removed that clause and the ongoing additional payments requirement to Melbourne

El Diablo

Post Whore
News Ltd as part of their peace deal has not allowed a 2nd Brisbane club for 20 years until the ARLC took control and removed that clause and the ongoing additional payments requirement to Melbourne
they also had a clause inserted saying their could be no other team in SEQ for at least 5 years

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
That's precisely the implication. The Broncos had plenty of power - rugby league has always been big in Brisbane and getting the Broncos into the comp was a coup for the NSWRL, so there was bargaining power at Brisbane's end and that's what they came up with.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Even with the advantage of that pokie mecca, the Seagulls/Giants were a f**king basket case.

Yep, the Giants/ Seagulls were a basket case but I did enjoy watching a few games there because the ground was so small you got a great view of the game and then kicking on back at the club afterwards.

no name

Coach

Too much self interest within the club.
At one stage the Seagulls club was one of the most successful clubs on the state.

flippikat

Bench
Meanwhile in Auckland, the stadium plan shambles continues..with Eden Park needing a $100 Million bailout by Auckland Council.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12204259

For those of you keeping track, the new council strategy is...

Eden Park

Rectangular ground for All Black tests, Super Rugby, other rugby matches
Likely home for Warriors when Mt Smart lease expires in 2028
Loses international tests, one-day and T20 cricket to Western Springs
Possible management role by Auckland Council/Regional Facilities Auckland

Western Springs

Speedway moves to Colin Dale Park (South Auckland) after this summer's season
Oval ground for cricket, including tests, international one-day and T20 matches, domestic cricket.
Capacity 18,000-plus
High performance cricket facility
Venue for AFL matches
Concerts/festivals
Ponsonby Rugby Club

North Harbour

Downgraded to community stadium with seating for less than 10,000 (Down from current 25,000) for rugby, football, baseball
Tenants include North Harbour Rugby/NZ Football/Baseball NZ
High performance facility for rugby, football, baseball, AFL, Massey University

Mt Smart

Home of Warriors until lease expires in 2028
After 2028 Colin Kay Stand demolished and becomes community stadium for domestic rugby, club rugby league, club rugby and football
Tenants include Warriors (until 2028),Oceania Football Federation, Auckland Athletics
High performance facility for rugby league, football, rugby, athletics, High Performance Sport NZ

Why they just don't demolish Eden Park is beyond me.....